Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I will talk this over with my DW and see what she thinks.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
did a (ticketed) 30-minute connection at MSP last week, and my first leg was a bit delayed (~5-10 minutes). Arrived in C basically on time, maybe a minute or two behind, right where the stairs go down to A/B, connecting flight was G1 (so, pretty close to the maximal distance). Took the tram to the end of C, walked across the mall, arrived at G1 before boarding even started. No running involved.
For those gates, I would have taken the airside C to G connector and then used the moving walkways down the length of G. I hate the congestion in the Minnesota Crossing retail mall area and it always seems to slow down how quickly I can walk.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
tram is a lot faster than the walkways (assuming they're even working, which isn't a given)
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
True in general, but the time is about equal if you just miss a tram. However, my concern is more the need to walk from the low C tram stop to the start of the G1-G6 area. The main Minnesota Crossing concourse can be frustratingly congested which makes it very difficult to move quickly.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It is do-able if the flights are on time. If it's weather issues at MSP likely both flights will then be affected. If you notice a delay at any point, call DL to get protected or rebooked on to the next flight. Also if you absolutely can't miss the connection (last flight of the day for example) then I wouldn't book it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ecaarch
There are few airports that I would attempt a connection like the OP's, but MSP is def on the list.
Originally Posted by indufan
Interesting. I think MSP is about the worst timewise of the Delta hubs. I am pretty sure I can tackle T to F in ATL faster than I can A to F in MSP.
I totally agree with you on principal here. ATL has the more efficient layout, while MSP (like most airports) is a hodge-podge of additions and renovations. ATL should come out on top, but somehow MSP (like AMS) works well despite an inefficient layout. I don't know if it is the staff that makes the difference, but somehow it has worked for me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by indufan
Interesting. I think MSP is about the worst timewise of the Delta hubs. I am pretty sure I can tackle T to F in ATL faster than I can A to F in MSP.
I think you mean "B to F" in MSP as B is actually a little further.

But the key difference here is that there are moving walkways in the primary concourses at MSP (in addition to the C tram), and the congestion at ATL usually causes more delays for faster walkers/carts than occurs in MSP.

But why not just cite sources instead of feelings and personal preferences? And calling it "The worst"? Come on...you know you're on an island with that one.

At Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, the furthest walkable distance between gates is in Terminal 1 and is approximately 5,700 feet, or about 1.08 miles. But thanks to moving walkways and trams "no one has to walk that entire distance unless they choose to," airport spokesman Patrick Hogan said.
And at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), the walking distance from the beginning of the domestic terminal to the international terminal gates is about 10,600 feet, just a smidge over 2 miles.

"But of course, we've got moving sidewalks, the automated people mover and many other options for getting around," said ATL spokesman Reese McCranie. "You could walk and get a good cardio workout, but there are plenty of other options for those who don't want to walk."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ance/29168851/

Minimum Connection Times exist for a reason, and Delta willingly schedules connections at or close to them. MSP's is 30 minutes. ATL's is 45 minutes. Delta believes that, time-wise, ATL is worse. They're probably right.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:00 am

OMA-MSP-HND

Hi. I booked my flights home for Christmas and only just now realized I only have 40 minutes between flights in MSP. I'll be flying in from Omaha and catching my international flight back to Haneda Tokyo. Is it doable in 40 minutes?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
That's doable but tight. If your inbound is on time, you'll make it. But all it would take is a 30 minute delay for deicing in Omaha and you'd be screwed. I'd look to switch to an earlier OMA-MSP flight if at all possible.
In2ishn and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
If your inbound is on time, you'll make it.
The answer to every single "will I make it" question in the history of Flyertalk.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by RRDD
The answer to every single "will I make it" question in the history of Flyertalk.
seriously, there should be a "will I make my connection" sticky

it blows my mind that people A) think airlines will sell you an impossible connection and B) wait to ask until after they already bought the ticket!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
seriously, there should be a "will I make my connection" sticky

it blows my mind that people A) think airlines will sell you an impossible connection and B) wait to ask until after they already bought the ticket!
There's a difference in does airline VS the passenger think they'll make it.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's a difference in does airline VS the passenger think they'll make it.
obviously, but there's no reason we need a new thread every time someone buys a ticket with a 2 hour connection
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
obviously, but there's no reason we need a new thread every time someone buys a ticket with a 2 hour connection
Don't disagree on that part.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by pvn
What new thread? This discussion in in the big MCT at MSP thread.
In2ishn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.