Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In principle, that's the way it should work, but the reality can be different.
So how do I know if 38 minutes is a legal connection D-I (Canada)?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
So how do I know if 38 minutes is a legal connection D-I (Canada)?
You check it yourself, for example on EF, but the information might also be listed on the airport website, Wikipedia (accurate?), or by googling.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I booked BWI-MSP-YVR with only a 38 minute connection in MSP. At the time of booking I knew it was a tight connection, but I wasn't focused on the fact that the MSP-YVR flight is the last of the day. Is the MCT on flights to Canada really 45 minutes as noted in the Wiki? Why would Delta have let me book this if it isn't a legal routing and would you ask to be rebooked if you were me?
MCT for US to Canada on DL at MSP is 35 minutes. Canada to US (the reverse direction) is 45 minutes.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
So I have a 49 minutes connection on DTW-MSP-AMS.
Obviously if there is a small delay, I don't want to be sent to MSP and miss my connection as it's the last flight to AMS from MSP that day.
I am departing DTW at 5.37pm for MSP and there are still 2 flights to AMS from DTW later (6pm and 9pm).

If the flight from DTW to MSP is delayed, at how many minutes of delay could I possibly ask to get rebooked to a direct DTW-AMS flight? Flight is in 2 weeks so I am a little worried about the weather
Also, I am flying in Y and my seat on the DTW-MSP sector is pretty much all the way at the back (MD80 aircraft). Booked this today and that's the best I could snag...

I booked this by keeping in mind that I might have to spent a night in MSP so that's fine but if I get to AMS on time that's even better
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mict
So I have a 49 minutes connection on DTW-MSP-AMS.
Obviously if there is a small delay, I don't want to be sent to MSP and miss my connection as it's the last flight to AMS from MSP that day.
I am departing DTW at 5.37pm for MSP and there are still 2 flights to AMS from DTW later (6pm and 9pm).

If the flight from DTW to MSP is delayed, at how many minutes of delay could I possibly ask to get rebooked to a direct DTW-AMS flight? Flight is in 2 weeks so I am a little worried about the weather
Also, I am flying in Y and my seat on the DTW-MSP sector is pretty much all the way at the back (MD80 aircraft). Booked this today and that's the best I could snag...

I booked this by keeping in mind that I might have to spent a night in MSP so that's fine but if I get to AMS on time that's even better
Any day of departure delay over about 15 minutes should trigger the automatic online rebooking tools that would allow you to pick the direct. I suspect an agent would do the same.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at fare class availability?

Why didn't you just book the nonstop from DTW to AMS rather than a risky short MSP connection?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you looked at fare class availability?

Why didn't you just book the nonstop from DTW to AMS rather than a risky short MSP connection?

I could have booked the direct to AMS at 3.30pm but that's too early for me as I have work. The other 2 later that night were $1000 more expensive.

As I said, I don't mind spending the night in MSP if something happens but I would rather arrive on time.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Any day of departure delay over about 15 minutes should trigger the automatic online rebooking tools that would allow you to pick the direct. I suspect an agent would do the same.
Thanks ^
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just realized that a schedule change like two months ago put me below minimum connect for D-I. In this case, PHL-MSP-AMS, 55 minutes.

I'd prefer to connect through ATL. I assume that I shouldn't have any trouble changing flights?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
Just realized that a schedule change like two months ago put me below minimum connect for D-I. In this case, PHL-MSP-AMS, 55 minutes.

I'd prefer to connect through ATL. I assume that I shouldn't have any trouble changing flights?
No problem. If you want you could even get a KLM flight if it works better. Basically DL will put you on any other DL/KL/AF combo that works for you. (Assuming revenue, if award the partner flight needs availability)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
MSP in early December

I haven't transited MSP all that much, but every time I have it's been very smooth.

Fying ECP-ATL-MSP-ANC the first week of December. Debating between a 56 minute layover or a 2 hr 28 layover in MSP. I'll be in F and the aircraft I'll be arriving on will be a 757-200 either way. The flight I'm connecting to is the only of the day to ANC. Normally I'd not risk such a tight connection, but in order to have the longer layover I would have to leave my origin (ECP) 3 hours earlier at 7:55 AM vs 10:45 AM and would also incur a 3+ hour layover in ATL. Since I'm only home visiting family for 5 days in Florida before heading to back to Alaska, just trying to maximize time.

Whats everyone's thoughts about MSP in early December?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
I fly to MSP 15-20 times each year and I am always amazed how well MSP does in snow. Obviously if there is a really bad storm you could have a problem but most of the time 56 minutes is more than enough. Of course even with Delta's generally timely operations you have more risk with the 56 minute layover and it depends on your risk tolerance. I just booked exactly a 56 minute layover for next June on BOS-MSP-ANC but in June there is one later flight so I am not worried. If it was me in December with no other flights I probably would book the longer layover just to feel safer but it would still be a close call.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:37 pm

MN generally handles snow well, but often the first snowstorm of the season is a mess as folks try to remember what they did last winter.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:13 pm

I have a friend who booked PHX-MSP-AMS, with a 35 minute connection. He noticed the short connection time, but it's all one flight number so he assumed it was the same plane. (Don't ask -- he's not very saavy. I'm not sure why he didn't notice when picking seats.)

Anyway, does the fact that it's the same flight number provide him any additional assurance with respect to a misconnect? That is, will they hold the continuation if the inbound is late (I assume no, but these same-flight-number situations are a bit confusing to me), or should he be trying to get a different flight?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:24 am

BDL to MSP to HND

All,

Booking site is suggesting a 36 minute domestic to international layover at MSP. Delta flight from BDL to MSP and then MSP to HND. Is a 36 minute layover enough? Would be business class with checked bags.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.