Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go for a different flight.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Also, if it’s more convenient, you can always take a flight out of NRT, given the schedule change
+1
From HND, DL offers flights to LAX and to MSP.

From NRT, DL offers flights to SEA, PDX, DTW, ATL and HNL. If you can find a good option departing from NRT, DL should be willing to reroute you free of charge due to the impossible connection in MSP.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
There's a clip that never gets old:

So you're telling me there's a chance - YouTube

I'm glad somebody got it, because I think another poster "missed" it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:22 am

PDX-MSP-YYZ 40 minutes

At the end of this month I am traveling alone from PDX back home to Toronto. I have a 40 min layover in MSP which I am only now realizing is a little tight, considering it's the last flight to Toronto for the night. Should I be very worried, or should I be able to make it? Any tips?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrsGoertzen
At the end of this month I am traveling alone from PDX back home to Toronto. I have a 40 min layover in MSP which I am only now realizing is a little tight, considering it's the last flight to Toronto for the night. Should I be very worried, or should I be able to make it? Any tips?
I recently had a 41 minute layover in MSP (BWI-MSP-YVR). And my gate-to-gate was about the longest walk possible in the airport. First flight was on time so I arrived right when boarding started for the second segment, but it was also the last flight of the night and if I could do it over again I wouldn't book such a tight connection.

If you're already booked, however, are you prepared to pay a change fee for a longer layover? If not, don't worry about it and hope it works out, since it probably works out 90% of the time or more.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
It might be useful to look at the MSP map on delta.com so that you have an idea of the airport layout. Be sure to note the skybridge between upper G gates and mid C gates. Yesterday your incoming flight landed at G20, right near the skybridge, and the outgoing flight departed from C12, at the other end of the sky bridge.

You might also look for an electric cart as soon as you deplane in MSP. They often hover near the arrival gates and can get you quickly to your connection.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be nervous about a tight connection TO a transborder flight to Canada. These *are* considered international, so you must officially be on board (or at the gate and ready to board) by T-30. If the flight is oversold, you could easily lose your seat with no compensation as a VDB/IDB.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
How easily? I've never heard anyone on FT mention getting bumped from an international flight when they had a tight but legal international connection.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
How easily? I've never heard anyone on FT mention getting bumped from an international flight when they had a tight but legal international connection.
If the flight is oversold and you're not at the gate by T-30, the GA can give your seat to a passenger who is confirmed on the flight but doesn't have a seat assignment. You would then be rebooked (for free) onto the next available DL flight to your destination, which could be the next day (or several days later during a heavy travel period). Or you could lose your seat to a standby with the same result, although this is likely to happen a bit closer to departure.

I don't know how often it actually happens on DL, but it's been done to me by both AF and KLM. I got to the gate long before the flight was closed, but I still lost my seat and wasn't able to get on the flight.

I've also been VIPRed off of flights by DL's IT when my arriving flight is delayed, even though I easily could have made the connection. This has even happened to me (for example, at DTW after an inbound TATL or TPAC flight on DL) at times when I've arrived at the departure gate well before preboarding even starts.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:57 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the flight is oversold and you're not at the gate by T-30, the GA can give your seat to a passenger who is confirmed on the flight but doesn't have a seat assignment.
I understand that you "can" be removed but that's not what I'm asking. For this to happen they'd have to be paging passengers before boarding is even close to completed, which seems pretty unlikely. Most of the time they'll get the bulk of pax on board, see who hasn't boarded yet, and start paging them. I've never once seen any sort of "roll call" at T-30.

I don't know how often it actually happens on DL, but it's been done to me by both AF and KLM. I got to the gate long before the flight was closed, but I still lost my seat and wasn't able to get on the flight.
How long is "long before"?

"it happened to me once" isn't the same as "it's likely to happen to you"
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:45 am

What is the date of your travel? A large volume of air travelers is anticipated during the entire week of January 29 - February 5 because of the Super Bowl. That may make it harder to get through the airport quickly.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

What is the date of your travel? A large volume of air travelers is anticipated during the entire week of January 29 - February 5 because of the Super Bowl. That may make it harder to get through the airport quickly.
Good point. I would expect most of them to be clueless as well as at least hungover for their return travel around February 5th.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good point. I would expect most of them to be clueless as well as at least hungover for their return travel around February 5th.
Not just hungover —- still drunk.

I’ve heard a figure of 60,000 pax at MSP on 2/5. Not sure whether that is just departing pax.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:46 am

Monday 2/5 Heavy Travel Day at MSP

Monday 2/5, the day after Super Bowl LII, is predicted to be the heaviest travel day that has ever occurred at MSP. A Delta red coat told me today that they are expecting over 70,000 departing passengers that day, whereas most Monday departure numbers average around 15,000. That 70,000 figure is only Delta pax leaving from Terminal 1 and does not include numbers for the other Terminal 1 airlines or Terminal 2 pax. MAC (Metropolitan Airport Commission), TSA, airport police and other security services, the Travelers Assistance volunteer office, and the airlines will all have extra staffing that day. TSA will allow passengers with boarding passes for Monday flights to go through the security checkpoints Sunday night. I haven’t heard an estimate on the numbers, but many, many passengers will spend the night in the airport. I heard that at least one bar on each concourse will be open all night.

I would guess that there may well be backups on the roadways into the airport, that taxis, Uber, and Lyft will be overloaded, and that light rail transit cars will be crowded.

The numbers of arriving passengers have grown each day this week; today was particularly busy. Most of those passengers who are arriving gradually during the course of this week will depart on Monday, concentrating several days of arrivals into a huge departure day on Monday.

These comments and observations are based on all-day volunteer work I’ve done the past three days through the MSP Travelers Assistance volunteer office and the Super Bowl Crew LII volunteer program.
LoganFlyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Thanks for the heads up! So glad I'm not flying through MSP (or anywhere) on Monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.