Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know ZIH, but could it be a preclearance airport?
Unfortunately, it's not. Thanks, I'll look to see if MKE would work instead of MSP. Wouldn't be looking forward to a 4 hr drive at the end of a vacation from MSP to MSN

Update: Looks like MSP -> MKE is exactly 1:15 connection time. Not great, but better than less than an hour. Guess I'll call Delta to see what they can do. Would stink if there's a later MSP -> MSN flight change with a longer connection time, but I can't rely on that happening....
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Why does the Wiki contain information about “St Paul City Airport”?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by RRDD
Why does the Wiki contain information about “St Paul City Airport”?
STP has occasionally over the years hosted scheduled passenger air service. There are no such services currently, but STP remains in the MCT table for MSP.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
STP has occasionally over the years hosted scheduled passenger air service. There are no such services currently, but STP remains in the MCT table for MSP.
If that's the case, then why not list St Cloud? STC has 20 times the scheduled service that St Paul has.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
When you look up MSP MCTs in ExpertFlyer, MSP-STP connections are explicitly listed. I suspect whoever initially made this Wiki (which wasn't me) included it because EF does.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
When you look up MSP MCTs in ExpertFlyer, MSP-STP connections are explicitly listed. I suspect whoever initially made this Wiki (which wasn't me) included it because EF does.
So....ExpertFlyer is not quite so Expert.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

EF is accurately representing the data used by the airline industry.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
EF is accurately representing the data used by the airline industry.
If so, then please explain how it takes 3.5 hours to transfer from DL to another carrier at MSP.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If so, then please explain how it takes 3.5 hours to transfer from DL to another carrier at MSP.
Because whoever made the table decided that's what it should be, even if it's not true or the original reasons no longer apply?

What's your beef exactly? That info for air travel occasionally references inaccurate or obsolete data?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

ExpertFlyer does not determine the information in MCTs. Airlines do. The airlines, for whatever reason, determined that MSP-STP connection info should be included in the MCTs for MSP. It's not EF's job to decide if that information is relevant or not; it's their job to display whatever information the airlines say is included in the MSP MCTs. And they do that job quite well.

That said, if you hate its inclusion in our Wiki so much, why don't you just delete the STP information from the Wiki?

Last edited by LoganFlyer; Dec 6, 2018 at 2:50 am
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The concern might be moving checked bags between terminals. People need to leave the secured area and take the light rail.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have to go to SJC last minute. Only option that doesn't have me in a middle seat for the long flight is via MSP with a 33 minute connection. Is that doable or a potential disaster in the winter? We don't appear to have any winter weather coming to RDU so shouldn't be any risk of a de-icing delay but of course many other things could go wrong

And yes I've looked at SFO and the options are just as bleak plus I'd have to drive all the way down to San Jose
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Have to go to SJC last minute. Only option that doesn't have me in a middle seat for the long flight is via MSP with a 33 minute connection. Is that doable or a potential disaster in the winter? We don't appear to have any winter weather coming to RDU so shouldn't be any risk of a de-icing delay but of course many other things could go wrong

And yes I've looked at SFO and the options are just as bleak plus I'd have to drive all the way down to San Jose
When are you looking to fly? Today the inbound flight arrived at F3 and the Outbound was G22. Tomorrow it’s F3 and G22. That’s doable with moving sidewalks most of the way. Yesterday was C4 to G22. That’s farther but has moving sidewalks the whole way so also doable if you get off the plane quick and don’t need to make any prolonged pit stops.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787

It's not ideal, but if your flights are on time, you'll make it. If you miss it, you can likely be rerouted to SFO. Would that be OK? If yes, I'd book it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by puck021

When are you looking to fly? Today the inbound flight arrived at F3 and the Outbound was G22. Tomorrow it’s F3 and G22. That’s doable with moving sidewalks most of the way. Yesterday was C4 to G22. That’s farther but has moving sidewalks the whole way so also doable if you get off the plane quick and don’t need to make any prolonged pit stops.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
It's not ideal, but if your flights are on time, you'll make it. If you miss it, you can likely be rerouted to SFO. Would that be OK? If yes, I'd book it.
Good news is plane looks decently empty, C+ cleared despite being within T-5 (flight leaves Tuesday), bad news I booked after the PM window so I missed the early F upgrade (went from F=8 to F=4 on the longer MSP - SJC) but still a chance on both flights (and I won't be checking a bag). I could live with the SFO re-route except there aren't any SFO options ex-MSP at that hour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.