Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm also tempted to suggest that if the person doesn't see a cart on the C concourse around the elevator/escalators, I'd take the direct airside route to G that goes through the back of the parking ramp and then look for carts at the far end of G. I really hate having to run through the area of the main concourse between C and F/G when it's crowded and people are stopping in their path to window shop. At worst, G has reasonably wide moving walkways as does the C to G connector (although often there's one that isn't operating) so you can run faster on this route.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:12 pm

MSP connections

Is a 39 minute connection time in MSP too short?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is within MCT. Whether it is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is personal to you and to the consequences to you of a misconnect.

Are you connecting to a close to hourly service or is it a once daily flight to Asia here you have a mission critical meeting? If the former, go for it. If the latter, there is no way I would do it.

The details matter.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info. 39 minutes is just too short for us. Just like 45 minutes in ATL is WAY too short for us!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ems008
Thanks for the info. 39 minutes is just too short for us. Just like 45 minutes in ATL is WAY too short for us!
If you already have your answer then nothing else matters. I think 39 minutes in MSP and 45 minutes in ATL is fine.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:57 pm

I would say it's all about what your connection is going from and to. Especially if you're going to be RJ2 to RJ2 then you're basically guaranteed to be in the A/B concourse and it won't take more than a few minutes to connect. 39 minutes is certainly do able but again it's all about the details including your personal/ traveling companion's mobility.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Is a 39 minute connection time in MSP too short?
Of course not. Why would they sell such a connection if there was no way to make it?

That said .....

1. Make sure you sit as close to the front of the plane as possible.
2. Make sure you use the restroom during the flight.
3. Don’t stop for food or drink.
4. Know your arrival and departure gates ahead of time.
5. Study the MSP layout, being particularly aware of the “C” to “G” skywalk.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Do you have mobility issues? If so, then book a wheel chair and a cart ahead of time.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by RRDD

Do you have mobility issues? If so, then book a wheel chair and a cart ahead of time.
You can request wheelchairs in advance but not carts.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I actually seek these narrow connection times. Yet to miss one in years. Btw...Anyone can flag the cart. It’s not just for handicapped. I’ve flagged it a couple of times when my incoming flight was uncomrtably late.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:44 pm

No mobility issues with either of us. Too damn old to want to run to the gate anymore. It looks as if more than likely, our arrival gate would be in A, B or C. departure would be from F. Even the people at MSP say that 45 minutes is the minimum connection time they recommend. And i agree that 45 minutes in ATL is fine, as long as you are in the terminal. I've sat on the tarmac more than once for 20 minutes or longer waiting for a gate to open.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:57 pm

The peace of mind of not rushing and worrying is worth a slightly longer connection. The airport is pretty nice with some interesting eating spots. Hope you enjoy your transit.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RRDD
1. Make sure you sit as close to the front of the plane as possible.
2. Make sure you use the restroom during the flight.
3. Don’t stop for food or drink.
4. Know your arrival and departure gates ahead of time.
5. Study the MSP layout, being particularly aware of the “C” to “G” skywalk.
I've done 39-ish minute connections at MSP a number of times, usually arriving at C-20+/- and departing from G-4+/-. All of these suggestions are spot on. It only requires that you be prepared and follow them. There are few airports that I would attempt a connection like the OP's, but MSP is def on the list.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
did a (ticketed) 30-minute connection at MSP last week, and my first leg was a bit delayed (~5-10 minutes). Arrived in C basically on time, maybe a minute or two behind, right where the stairs go down to A/B, connecting flight was G1 (so, pretty close to the maximal distance). Took the tram to the end of C, walked across the mall, arrived at G1 before boarding even started. No running involved.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ecaarch
There are few airports that I would attempt a connection like the OP's, but MSP is def on the list.
Interesting. I think MSP is about the worst timewise of the Delta hubs. I am pretty sure I can tackle T to F in ATL faster than I can A to F in MSP.
hockeystl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.