Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
If you are reasonably mobile you can make any connection at MSP in this time.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At MSP, international long haul flights usually use low G gates, especially in in the G1 through G6 area, but I've seen some low G gates used for departures too.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by huskerchad
If you are reasonably mobile you can make any connection at MSP in this time.
55 minutes actual connection time, probably. 35-45 minutes, however, can be a lot more of a struggle if the tram is down and you've got gate-checked hand-bags to claim at MSP. I've done a lot of very short connections at MSP, but some of the shortest ones required a very real run on the pace of a 6-7 minute mile or even faster. With 35-45 minute connections, when coming into MSP on mainline but connecting onto a regional jet by DL commuter line partners or (more so) the opposite, there are some such connections that haven't been made by the reasonably mobile.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
55 minutes actual connection time, probably. 35-45 minutes, however, can be a lot more of a struggle if the tram is down and you've got gate-checked hand-bags to claim at MSP. I've done a lot of very short connections at MSP, but some of the shortest ones required a very real run on the pace of a 6-7 minute mile or even faster. With 35-45 minute connections, when coming into MSP on mainline but connecting onto a regional jet by DL commuter line partners or (more so) the opposite, there are some such connections that haven't been made by the reasonably mobile.
OP is arriving from LAX, so it won't be a RJ.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is arriving from LAX, so it won't be a RJ.
Yes. But I was responding to a post about any connection at MSP.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
Most of my west coast to MSP flights have arrived early (prevailiing westerly winds). That said, if there's a mechanical or weather delay, then you might have a problem.

I always book a longer layover - - preferably 3 or 4 hours - - before a TA flight - - with 2 hours being the bare minimum - - but usually everything is on time.

So you can hang at the Skyclub (with that amount of time you can hang at the C concourse Skyclub, and not the bright white barn at F), or hit that excellent salad/hot food bar in the lower G concourse, or play some pinball.

If you have the time, take it !
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 pm

There's also the newish PP lounge at MSP.

If flights don't seem to be packed, a tight connection to the early MSP-AMS flight would be OK.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:27 am

Is AMS your destination or are you connecting with KLM? If so or if you're on the last MSP-AMS nonstop of day, I'd worry a bit if arriving a day late would be particularly bad for you.

However, there are two or three, depending on the season and adding a fourth KLM operated one next summer, MSP-AMS nonstops daily.

In fact, even if you're going to AMS, DL has a year round late daily MSP-LHR flight departing around 10 pm (after the last AMS flight, usually by a couple hours). However, at LHR you now must change terminals to connect between DL and SkyTeam partner's such as AF and KLM.

Yet another possibility during part of the year is the late AF operated MSP-CDG flight. Unfortunately the year round DL MSP-CDG flight leaves too early to be very useful as a backup for missed TATL
connections.

BTW, MSP in the evening tends not to be crowded at all. Congestion won't prevent you from running to the gate. By contrast, during the morning, you can lose a lot of time trying to get around people when
you're attempting to walk with purpose in the main airside commercial area or in concourses G and especially F, which doesn't have moving walkways either.

As always, look for an electric cart and tip for a quick nonstop ride.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:10 am
Suspended

Is AMS your destination or are you connecting with KLM? If so or if you're on the last MSP-AMS nonstop of day, I'd worry a bit if arriving a day late would be particularly bad for you.

However, there are two or three, depending on the season and adding a fourth KLM operated one next summer, MSP-AMS nonstops daily.

In fact, even if you're going to AMS, DL has a year round late daily MSP-LHR flight departing around 10 pm (after the last AMS flight, usually by a couple hours). However, at LHR you now must change terminals to connect between DL and SkyTeam partner's such as AF and KLM.

Yet another possibility during part of the year is the late AF operated MSP-CDG flight. Unfortunately the year round DL MSP-CDG flight leaves too early to be very useful as a backup for missed TATL
connections.

BTW, MSP in the evening tends not to be crowded at all. Congestion won't prevent you from running to the gate. By contrast, during the morning, you can lose a lot of time trying to get around people when
you're attempting to walk with purpose in the main airside commercial area or in concourses G and especially F, which doesn't have moving walkways either.

As always, look for an electric cart and tip for a quick nonstop ride.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post27381847
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:18 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...

I'm looking for advice for connection through MSP.

I have an upcoming trip arriving into MSP on a domestic AA flight, connecting to a domestic DL flight 87mins later.
The complication is that I will have checked baggage... Last time I made this trip a couple of years ago I was able to get AA to interline the baggage, but I understand that this is no longer possible.

Is 87min a realistic connection time given the need to collect and re-check a bag? I'm TSA Pre eligible, so hopefully this is in my favour!

Any advice/tips?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Friederich

I have an upcoming trip arriving into MSP on a domestic AA flight, connecting to a domestic DL flight 87mins later.
The complication is that I will have checked baggage... Last time I made this trip a couple of years ago I was able to get AA to interline the baggage, but I understand that this is no longer possible.

Is 87min a realistic connection time given the need to collect and re-check a bag? I'm TSA Pre eligible, so hopefully this is in my favour!

Any advice/tips?
Unless something has changed security at MSP is a nightmare, regardless of the line. You'll arrive on E and depending where your DL flight is to could depart out of any of the other Concourses. Add in waiting for bags, getting up to checkin, waiting in line, clearing security and then possibly needing to make it all the way to A or B Concourses. AA also isn't know for its OTP.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the quick reply flyerCO. I suspected this could be a challenge...

Interesting that EF lists I MCT as 60min, that sounds similarly challenging!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
South Checkpoint temporary changes

For an indeterminate time (maybe 3 weeks?) South Checkpoint (near F&G concourses) will close around 7PM for some construction work. North Checkpoint, which usually closes at 6:45PM, will remain open.

The notice I received said 7PM for the closing each night. When I was there on Sunday, the first night of the change, South closed at 7:45.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Friederich

Any advice/tips?
This would be two separate tickets, I assume? Also, you'll have tickets that aren't refundable or have change penalties, right?

IMO a lot depends on how quickly AA delivers luggage. With no status, you could face some lines to check in or drop your bag with DL.

More importantly, there can be bad lines at MSP for PreCheck.

The bottom line is that this is a big risk, although it's not impossible if everything goes well.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This would be two separate tickets, I assume? Also, you'll have tickets that aren't refundable or have change penalties, right?

IMO a lot depends on how quickly AA delivers luggage. With no status, you could face some lines to check in or drop your bag with DL.

More importantly, there can be bad lines at MSP for PreCheck.

The bottom line is that this is a big risk, although it's not impossible if everything goes well.
It would have to be two tickets. AA and DL don't interline anymore. They shouldn't show up on the same ticket stock even if issued by a carrier (say UA) that interlines with both. If IRROPS happens then DL or AA wouldn't be able to reissue a ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.