Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You'll be fine as long as the inbound is on-time.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Is this doable with checked baggage?

Arriving from SFO and connecting to KEF with 1:01 connecting time. I'm hoping I will be fine traveling in First but what about luggage? We arrive in MSP at 8:56 PM. Will my seat really be released if I am not at the gate 30 min. ahead?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Arriving from SFO and connecting to KEF with 1:01 connecting time. I'm hoping I will be fine traveling in First but what about luggage? We arrive in MSP at 8:56 PM. Will my seat really be released if I am not at the gate 30 min. ahead?
If your flight is on time, you'll be fine. Your luggage will probably beat you to the plane.

Yes, if you're not there 30 minutes prior, your seat is subject to cancellation. A few practical considerations on that, though. They won't cancel you that early if the load is light. They also likely won't cancel you that early if the inbound flight is delayed and it's their fault.

If your plane is on time and you move efficiently from your arrival to your connection, you'll be fine. You can't get a worse case connection there. You're probably coming into D, F or G, and going out the same.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:00 pm

Thanks...seems they would know about inbound pax transferring to their connecting flight. Seems a little harsh to just give away a first class seat with 25 min. Or so until departure.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Thanks...seems they would know about inbound pax transferring to their connecting flight. Seems a little harsh to just give away a first class seat with 25 min. Or so until departure.
The issue is baggage fir the most part on international flights. If you don't board, they have to remove your bags. Thus they have a cutoff to allow time for that, which while on a 757 isn't that hard, a 767, A330, 747, 777 can take much longer.

Since you're connecting, your bags will likely get there just before you do. Thus no need to rush to offload you.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The issue is baggage fir the most part on international flights. If you don't board, they have to remove your bags. Thus they have a cutoff to allow time for that, which while on a 757 isn't that hard, a 767, A330, 747, 777 can take much longer.

Since you're connecting, your bags will likely get there just before you do. Thus no need to rush to offload you.
It is just a 757 and I'd like to stick to this flight since the only alternative involves an extra stop to get to MSP. Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:29 am

55 minute layover in MSP?

Hi there,
I'm planning on booking a flight from LAX to AMS with a 55min layover in MSP. Is this doable? Or should I not risk it, as it's an international flight?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:34 am

I'm planning on booking LAX to AMS with a 55min layover in MSP next month. Seems like both flights are typically in Gate G. Is this doable? Or should I not risk it, as it is a international flight??
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ermeg
Hi there,
I'm planning on booking a flight from LAX to AMS with a 55min layover in MSP. Is this doable? Or should I not risk it, as it's an international flight?
MCT is 35 minutes at MSP for this connection. Should be no problem.

Depending on the time of year, there are usually 2 or 3 MSP-AMS flights - good options in the event of a missconnect.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:14 am

I had a quick connection in MSP once, and was fine, with a couple of minutes to spare
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
MCT is 35 minutes at MSP for this connection. Should be no problem.

Depending on the time of year, there are usually 2 or 3 MSP-AMS flights - good options in the event of a missconnect.
Make that 3 or 4 by next spring, after a KL flight joins the MSP-AMS roster.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
My gosh, you practically have time to stop for a sit-down meal, shop in stores and visit the site where a certain congressman practiced his wide stance...

Seriously, everything should be fine, unless there is some sort of delay with your inbound flight. In the unlikely event your inbound flight runs late, here is a Plan B to have ready for implementation (pardon the pun) on the fly...

IME, the AMS flight leaves from Concourse G, which is on the side of the airport not served by the tram. Unless you have arrived in Concourse G, you will have a long walk to get there, so if you are running late in that circumstance, flag over one of the electric carts, let the driver know you've got a tight connection and hold on tight, you are about to have a fun, wild ride. The cart will get you to the departure gate much faster than walking and the drivers enjoy getting you there quickly when you've got a tight connection, but you should still tip them. For some reason people think those carts are only for handicap passengers, but there for anyone who needs them, including those looking to make a tight connection.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:21 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
As someone who's usually happy with short connection times. . . whenever I see people mentioning that there are later TATL flights, of course, you hafto remember that if you ARE, INDEED pushed to a later flight, you'll likely get stuck with the cr@ppiest seat(s) on the plane with whatever's leftover at the last minute.

That's fine, if you're in J, but if you're flying in coach <oops> main cabin, that could mean a middle, or non-reclining seat, and possibly sitting separately from your traveling companions. I think that infrequent travelers going overseas would prefer a more relaxed journey.

I hava 40 minute connection at MSP next week enroute to Europe, but I'm flying up front, so, if I get goofed up, there really aren't any bad seats in Delta One TATL - - - Just some a little better than others!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott PP (LTP), DL Diamond, National Executive Elite
Yeah, I agree with the above. You probably have time for 3 or 4 in the sky club.

Well, at least I would do it. I don't not fly J international, though. Enjoy, either way.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I think it's a reasonable booking. I've flown LAX-MSP seven times this year and always arrived either on time or early (obviously, mechanical and weather delays could happen on any route). If memory serves right, most of the time we arrived in G which is also the departure terminal for international flights. I would be comfortable with the risk...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.