Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Team,

Do we have a thread covering how upgrade priority works between those who "qualified" via MQD/MQM/etc. vs. those who got rolled over in their current status?

Curious to re-read the details (I just squeezed in a full Diamond re-up in NOV before getting Omnicron in December).

Also--will there be precedent here to deprecate value of lifetime Gold in the longer term--e.g., you're sorta Gold but those who earned it via MQD/MQM trump you?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think there's a dedicated thread, just thread(s) discussing the status extension.

Status is the most important factor in prioritizing upgrades. Starting February 1st, the hierarchy will be earned DM, extended DM, earned PM, etc.

Your comment about lifetime is interesting. It's already the case that MM status only (without earned FO via MQMs/MQSs and MQDs/waiver) doesn't entitle one to rollover in normal years.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Weird thing happened on the upgrade list. I booked an award ticket (NX) for companion (Plat) and me (DM). Because the price of the ticket went way down (V fare), we decided to cancel the award tickets and instead pay with eCredits, drawing from both accounts. At one point, because of some miscommunication, we ended up twice on the same upgrade list by checking in the wrong itinerary. The weird thing is that the award ticket was 5/6 for 5 whereas the paid-by-eCredit ticket showed 8/9 for 5. I wondered if eCredit-paid tickets are somehow treated differently than award/cash tickets? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyinhwn
Weird thing happened on the upgrade list. I booked an award ticket (NX) for companion (Plat) and me (DM). Because the price of the ticket went way down (V fare), we decided to cancel the award tickets and instead pay with eCredits, drawing from both accounts. At one point, because of some miscommunication, we ended up twice on the same upgrade list by checking in the wrong itinerary. The weird thing is that the award ticket was 5/6 for 5 whereas the paid-by-eCredit ticket showed 8/9 for 5. I wondered if eCredit-paid tickets are somehow treated differently than award/cash tickets? Any thoughts?
That's truly bizarre -- using eCredits is the same as paying cash, and cash fares are supposed to have priority over award tickets. OTOH there have been widespread reports of bugs and issues with the upgrade list lately...
flyinhwn and coast_2_coast like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Honestly I've had a sneaking suspicion for a while now that award tickets are ranking me higher than cash tickets.
flyinhwn likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AntimonyER
Honestly I've had a sneaking suspicion for a while now that award tickets are ranking me higher than cash tickets.
Awards have different classes just like revenue fares (NY, NB, NM, NH, NQ, NK, NL, NU, NT, NX, NV for coach awards). It's possible they might rank an NX award higher than a V revenue fare, but I doubt they rank awards higher than revenue fares in general. I've been on a number of award and revenue flights recently and haven't seen much to suggest that awards rank higher (although the bulk of my award bookings have been in NV).
MSPeconomist and flyinhwn like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
That's truly bizarre -- using eCredits is the same as paying cash, and cash fares are supposed to have priority over award tickets. OTOH there have been widespread reports of bugs and issues with the upgrade list lately...
The way I understand it, is that a paid ticket in the same fare class has a higher priory than an award ticket in the same fare class. So for example, T (Cash) > NT (Award) > X (Cash) > X (Award). Does that help?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
The way I understand it, is that a paid ticket in the same fare class has a higher priory than an award ticket in the same fare class. So for example, T (Cash) > NT (Award) > X (Cash) > X (Award). Does that help?
That would plausibly explain things, but pretty sure this would be a change from a few years ago when IIRC they specifically said all award tickets come after all cash tickets. For a while now however the web site has said "fare class groupings" without spelling out what that means exactly, and while there's been reasonable speculation, I don't know that I've seen anything conclusive...
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Checked in this morning for a LGA-ATL-TUS trip tomorrow. My upgrade to F had cleared on LGA-ATL, but I wasn't even showing up on the upgrade list for ATL-TUS, despite being a PM and requesting the upgrade at booking.

Took 15 minutes through messaging just to explain that I knew I had requested an upgrade, but I wasn't showing up on the list.

Took another 15 minutes and two tries to uncheck me in so I could be rechecked in... and then finally appeared on the list.

30 minutes wasted to find out I'm 10/13 for an upgrade with 1 seat left. Oh well.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Question about GUC/RUCs. Let's say I apply an upgrade certificate to a Skymiles flight in the future (I am diamond medallion, if that matters). I then cancel the Skymiles reservation. Does the GUC/RUC get returned to my account? Is it the same behaviour whether the upgrade has cleared or not?

Basically, I am wondering if there is no downside to applying GUCs to Skymiles flights I have booked months from now.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaw753
Question about GUC/RUCs. Let's say I apply an upgrade certificate to a Skymiles flight in the future (I am diamond medallion, if that matters). I then cancel the Skymiles reservation. Does the GUC/RUC get returned to my account? Is it the same behaviour whether the upgrade has cleared or not?

Basically, I am wondering if there is no downside to applying GUCs to Skymiles flights I have booked months from now.
This would be more appropriate for the GUC or RUC thread, but at some point during COVID, Delta started re-opening certificates even for voluntary changes/cancellations, even if the ticket has already been reissued. So there's not much reason to wait, and in fact a lot of incentive to get them in now if there's any chance they will clear before Feb 1: Delta changes/devaluation to GUC Program -2022 (Only 1 Class of Service Upgrade)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Do PM/DM C+ medallion upgrades require available SU inventory, or can one simply look at the seat map to determine availability?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Do PM/DM C+ medallion upgrades require available SU inventory, or can one simply look at the seat map to determine availability?
Agents will tell you the former when the website refuses to upgrade you for IT/ticket error reasons. However the later is how it works in practice.
matchbox20_is likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Do PM/DM C+ medallion upgrades require available SU inventory
Yes. If you tend to book further out when the cabin is empty then it amounts to an instant upgrade, but there have been past reports from people whose work patterns etc require booking a few days out, not getting upgrade availability at booking despite there being open C+ seats.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is it generally believed that SU is greater than S? My instinct would say yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.