Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
That sounds absolutely disgusting to me - but then again, I would almost never choose salmon assuming there are other options. Nice to see there was a dessert that wasn't a pre-packaged chocolate chip cookie, though I have tended to save those to take home.
The slice was pre-packaged.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Was really surprised to see 5 choices on D1 LAX-JFK pre order. Chicken picatta, a veggie dish featuring broccoli, pork shoulder, a beef dish and the usual J & V meatballs when departing LAX. This was for the 11:59pm red eye too. Def all sounds good and more than what I am used to with AA especially for such a late departing flight.

How come DL doesnt do pre order earlier than 3 days? If one makes their reservation more than 3 days out they wont know to pre select? I guess they send the email but for me I didnt get an email I had to look in the app and choose "view more" and then saw meal choice-select and from there I could select.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
As promised, after bidding adieu to the Sad Boxes, here is a pic of my breakfast this morning on AA (DCA - DFW). Bevvies still in paper / plastic, but food in crockery on a tray with metal cutlery.

Croissant (with cheese and egg salad) was cold but not too bad. The bowl of fresh fruit was lovely and the blueberries livened up the cereal thing (chia?) which was ok. Big improvement on DL not having pigs feeding out of their troughs.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:24 pm

Scheduled to fly redeye DL1602 SEA-DTW in FC on the A339. Online says no meal and my understanding is that since this flight departs at 23:00 there is no snack box. Will there be drinks/snacks or will nothing be catered?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
Scheduled to fly redeye DL1602 SEA-DTW in FC on the A339. Online says no meal and my understanding is that since this flight departs at 23:00 there is no snack box. Will there be drinks/snacks or will nothing be catered?
No fresh "sad box" but probably a variety of shelf stable snacks, either in the form of Bistro/Market boxes or snack basket. Things in the basket lately include granola bars, potato chips, Goldfish, pretzels, Biscoff, almonds and chocolate chip cookies. I have not seen a banana in a basket since March of 2020.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Looks like updated D1 meals out of LAX coming. Flex LAX-BOS recently and had choice of 3 items, had the meatballs which was quite good. Have another trip and my ruc cleared and the meal choices are 5 items - marinara braised meatballs, chicken piccata, grilled broccolini (veggie meal), herb crusted salmon, and roast pork shoulder sandwich.
Have those same 5 choices later this week. Happy to see so many choices & full dinner on the midnight red eye. Which did you choose? Curious about the chicken piccata & the broccolini. Chose the piccata think thats the right choice. Dont eat red meat or pork. Out of JFK for the next flight I chose the mozzarella lasagna with pomodoro sauce & pesto. Excited to try that.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
AMS-MSP.
Pleasant, friendly & attentive crew. Prosecco offered as PDB.
Pre-selected one of the 'limited'options; Pan fried cod with lobster sauce and baby dutch shrimp, sauteed spinach, pickled red onions and roasted new potatoes. Enjoyed it, the cod was a little bit dry.

Almost there: good old crabcake salad (other choice was the hamburger)

Looks a lot better than my last 19 months of AA meals. Flying D1 for first time in 3 years this week. Looking forward to my 2 flights.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Those meatballs are from Jon and Vinny's restaurants in Los Angeles. They are really great when served in the restaurant along with some fresh ricotta and delicious garlic toast. Not sure how well they will travel. I live close to their Brentwood location and when delivered or packed to go, not nearly as good as the dish served in restaurant. Still a better choice than most airplane food.
Close to J & V also and used to go a lot. Its become too corporate and the innovation of some dishes has gone down. Also I find they are freezing the dough lately or at least its not as fresh it as used to be..

As far as their catering on D1 I actually did a self imposed boycott since summer of 2018 b/c 3 straight J & V meals were absolute crap. The salads & salad dressings were horrible. And I agree the meatballs looks great and i love ricotta but I dont eat red meat so I cant partake. First D1 LAX J&V flight in 39 months later this week. Hope its good.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by MelP
These are actually the exact options on my JFK-CDG flight this coming Saturday, NOT doing the Cioppino but am conflicted between the short rib and the meatballs - anybody have this variation of the meatballs? Or the chicken thigh? Similiar dishes to the meatballs seem to have good reviews here. This is my first D1 flight ever (mileage needed was low) - Flying Economy on the way back so this is my one chance to enjoy D1.
Before the United merger, Continental had a Cioppino on their BusinessFirst menu that was one of my favorite airline dishes. Surprisingly, the seafood was almost never overcooked.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MelP
These are actually the exact options on my JFK-CDG flight this coming Saturday, NOT doing the Cioppino but am conflicted between the short rib and the meatballs - anybody have this variation of the meatballs? Or the chicken thigh? Similiar dishes to the meatballs seem to have good reviews here. This is my first D1 flight ever (mileage needed was low) - Flying Economy on the way back so this is my one chance to enjoy D1.
I love the chicken option. It was a staple most the summer on DL TATL eastbound. It was my normal go to meal.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So hold on a second - I booked J from NYC to/from Caribbean over New Year's, and the mid-day departure is listed as "lunch" and the late afternoon departure is listed as "dinner". That normally means a "real" meal, whereas if it was a snack box it would just say "snacks", right? Or are they really still just doing the cold meal boxes?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Had some new options today on the lunch flight from DTW-MCO. They were the salmon salad, foccacia sandwich (they ran out so don't know what is actually on it), and the prosciutto sandwich. I had the salad...maybe four pieces of salmon with some lettuce, a few small slices cucumbers and radishes and some little green circles (peas?). Same crackers as the last salad and a chocolate chip cookie from a brand I hadn't seen before.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So hold on a second - I booked J from NYC to/from Caribbean over New Year's, and the mid-day departure is listed as "lunch" and the late afternoon departure is listed as "dinner". That normally means a "real" meal, whereas if it was a snack box it would just say "snacks", right? Or are they really still just doing the cold meal boxes?
Nope. A First marketed flight showing Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner for meal service just means you'll be getting one of the cold meal boxes instead of the Market/Bistro snack boxes they used to serve (with the sole exception of BOS-SEA/SFO and JFK-SEA FC flights which will get a hot meal). They currently serve the cold meal boxes on First marketed flights over 900 miles that depart before 9PM.

The transition from snack box to cold meal boxes occurred from late July through mid-September and the Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner listings for meal service were used to identify which flights had moved from snack boxes to the cold meal boxes (they started with 1500+ mile flights first). They are definitely not an indication a flight will have hot meals. Hot meals are rumored to be returning to FC in 1Q 2022, but there have been no public announcements from DL (see WIkipost at top).

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 23, 2021 at 12:44 am
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:30 pm

Breakfast options were charcuterie, cioppino (nobody selected this) or smoked salmon. I had the salmon and it was outstanding! Huge pile of smoked salmon (maybe 6 oz?) and with a caper, cream cheese, crackers, pickled onions and something else. The lunch/dinner options have been awful, but breakfast is significantly improved over the pre-COVID cheerios and other cheap garbage.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Going through the thread it looks like we can expect decent service on LAX-HNL-ATL-JFK? I guess drinks in plastic but that wouldn't be the US I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.