Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
I have a credit with Air France / Delta that I received last summer after I had to cancel the return leg of a trip from Europe to the US. When the agent gave me the credit, she mentioned that I can use it for any US to Europe and vice versa travel within one year. The original flight that was cancelled was an Air France marketed / Delta operated flight. I remember the number I called to cancel the ticket and get the credit from was a "Delta - Air France - KLM" line and I was talking to an American agent.

Is this credit considered a Delta credit or an Air France credit? Will the deadline to use this credit be extended because of the virus outbreak?
this isn't a voucher. You have an unused ticket. If it starts with 006 it's a DL ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PDXMSPSEA
My brother just got off the telly after getting told no refund on basic E with a schedule change of over 120mins. He did not know to bring that up, thinking that he should try again and push harder. Agree?
over the last one week i have had refunds issued on 3 tickets that all had a schedule change of over 120 minutes....they first offered the credit but i asked for a refund instead & it was processed without any problems....none of the tickets were in basic e though, but that should not make a difference....
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
My office load has increased in recent days due to 'working by remote' so my query may be wide of the mark.
I had a March 2020 ticket to GVA. The pandemic moved that event to August. DL (early March) would not let me use the GVA ticket (for August) because I purchased it in July 2019.
I took my D1 GVA ticket and adding about $1.6K more to buy an expensive D1 ticket to SYD this July for a conference that will likely be cancelled.
Will I be able to cancel the SYD ticket and the entire e-credit be extended 2 years. Or will the purchase date of the original GVA ticket demand it be lost if not used by July 2020? I am facing a similar scenario with a D1 ticket to FCO in June.
I finally got confirmation that the global conference in SYD was cancelled due to the pandemic. They are moving to July 2021 and I have a conflict with their new dates.
I called DL. The agent said I should hope for a schedule change so I could get a refund. The agent actually said I should wait until the last minute for a 90 minute change which means I would be putting $4.1K at risk since I could not spin around and go to another destination.
In the meantime, he thought the only options were to credit the new money (3/1/20) and get a time stamped e-credit minus a change fee for the original ticket.
I know HUCA, but should I insist on talking to an international DL agent? I could use the refund, but at the very least do not want an e-credit that must be used by 8/20.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by fishingcarlos
JFK to LHR on May 9th (DL0001) is not yet cancelled by Delta. Extremely doubtful we would go yet wanted Delta to cancel in hopes of refund vs credit. How far in advance is Delta cancelling international flights? I did see their announcement of many international flights from ATL being cancelled. Could DL0001 be the one that does go, regardless?

I had a JFK to CDG flight on AF with DL flight number for April 10. One of the few flights AF is still flying. I never actually got notified that my return flight was cancelled (it was, and at least a few days ago). Received an email yesterday April 7 from AF saying they had moved my flight to April 11 (and had cancelled the April 10 flight though were careful not to call it that). Called DL at 10 am April 8. No wait. Refund was immediately agreed to. DL has my business going forward.
fishingcarlos likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Possibly a dumb question, but we have multiple overseas trips booked right now. I plan to cancel them in a rolling fashion, as who knows what happens to the trips in the fall at this point (not high hopes, but...). My question is, I'm actually fine receiving an e-credit for the flights I know I won't be able to do, but will I be able to combine e-credits for say one more expensive flight later instead of the 2-3 flights I have booked now?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by channonc
Possibly a dumb question, but we have multiple overseas trips booked right now. I plan to cancel them in a rolling fashion, as who knows what happens to the trips in the fall at this point (not high hopes, but...). My question is, I'm actually fine receiving an e-credit for the flights I know I won't be able to do, but will I be able to combine e-credits for say one more expensive flight later instead of the 2-3 flights I have booked now?
Per the DL website certificates and e-credits redemption page, you can combine up to 3 credits to book a new reservation. Note the credits all must be for the same traveler who is flying (so can’t combine credits for different family members, etc)
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:08 pm

My daughter was stuck in Peru during border closure. Booked a 4/1 return Cusco to DEN since quarantine was supposed to end 3/31. Got extended to 4/12 around 4/22. Delta advised 4/1 was cancelled and to modify flight...they were actually showing she could book 4/2, etc, etc etc. Annoying. Called and they said still shows flight leaving on 4/2. Applied for cancellation and got ticket voucher number for credit. Filled out form for refund demand after new rule. Cant get a person on phone. Are they just backed up or anybody have any insight.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I have been waiting to cancel flights until Delta cancels or changes. That way, they are required to give me a refund. Unfortunately the refund process seems very backed up. Sometimes the refunds post within days but others I am still waiting on after weeks. The Refund Request confirmation emails are particularly unhelpful, stating THIS IS NOT A REFUND and not offering any estimate of the refund amount.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
My wife and I are booked on DL200 (ATL-JNB) and back in May. These flights are no longer available, dos this mean they are formally cancelled?

Can I call DL at this time to request a refund? My travel is company paid but I paid for hers on a different card...
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I have been waiting to cancel flights until Delta cancels or changes. That way, they are required to give me a refund. Unfortunately the refund process seems very backed up. Sometimes the refunds post within days but others I am still waiting on after weeks. The Refund Request confirmation emails are particularly unhelpful, stating THIS IS NOT A REFUND and not offering any estimate of the refund amount.
You don’t need to wait until the flight is actually cancelled to cancel your reservations. Delta (unlike other carriers) will allow you to cancel and still get a refund IF THEY eventually end up cancelling the flight. You just need to monitor the flight.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by tanglin
My wife and I are booked on DL200 (ATL-JNB) and back in May. These flights are no longer available, dos this mean they are formally cancelled?

Can I call DL at this time to request a refund? My travel is company paid but I paid for hers on a different card...
Yes, if the flights were cancelled by Delta, you can call and get a complete refund.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
If your flight is cancelled you are ENTITLED to a FULL REFUND.... Full Stop! Do NOT let them persuade you that you need a gift card or gift certificate. Delta could be bankrupt in a few months and completely THROW AWAY your credit.... Do NOT let this happen.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by nrr
On 3/26 I cancelled a flight. I immediately got an email noting my cc will be credited: You've successfully cancelled your trip. The credit card used to purchase your ticket has been credited the full purchase price. I also have a "cancellation authorization code"
But when I look at my acct on www.delta.com there is an e-credit for the amt of the refund I am expecting.
PS: I called DL once, the agent said it is taking time for refunds to be processed.
I too noticed tonight that a trip I cancelled on 3/29, for travel in late April, is now showing as an e-credit despite a refund request being filed. I'm guessing the system is just auto-creating e-credits until someone reviews/approves the refund request? I know in fact this particular reservation is eligible for a refund due to schedule change and flight cancellation. I'm only about halfway through the quoted 7-21 business day timeframe for a refund to post.

Originally Posted by lucycan
My credits, tickets, vouchers are gone from he site as well.
Mine briefly were gone tonight when I initially logged in, but once opening "My Wallet" they all magically reappeared. Now they display every time. DL IT at its finest.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I agree the refund process definitely is backed up. I have the same emails stating the same things (i.e. not a refund but only a request, unable to calculate refund estimate, etc). My guess is this will end up being a long waiting game.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I too noticed tonight that a trip I cancelled on 3/29, for travel in late April, is now showing as an e-credit despite a refund request being filed. I'm guessing the system is just auto-creating e-credits until someone reviews/approves the refund request? I know in fact this particular reservation is eligible for a refund due to schedule change and flight cancellation. I'm only about halfway through the quoted 7-21 business day timeframe for a refund to post.
Yes, I assume so. I am in the same boat. I am not touching the automatic e-credit until I get an official response back on the refund request.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:42 am

Hi All,
I was scheduled on Southwest for a June 9th - 16th trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (from Kansas City), and Southwest canceled all flights. I'm thinking about booking the cheapest fares with Delta using points (and our friends would using cash). Then we would go unless the resort canceled (but I doubt that would happen without the airline canceling?). Anyway, if the flight is canceled, we should get full refunds (not just credits), right?

In the unlikely event that the resort canceled, but not the airline, would we likely get refunds (of points and cash) or just vouchers? Thanks!
--Kyle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.