Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
My friend Bill bought a ticket last December to fly this May. He cancelled the ticket in March and now has an C$700+ e-credit with a no-fee cancellation. He's happy about the new expiry date of May 31, 2022. However, for some reason his e-credit is marked "Non-Transferable," which means he may buy new tickets only for his own flying! Not even for a companion flying with him.
I have found a DL Refund Hotline which may be able to overrule this: 1-800-847-0578.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
My office load has increased in recent days due to 'working by remote' so my query may be wide of the mark.

I had a March 2020 ticket to GVA. The pandemic moved that event to August. DL (early March) would not let me use the GVA ticket (for August) because I purchased it in July 2019.

I took my D1 GVA ticket and adding about $1.6K more to buy an expensive D1 ticket to SYD this July for a conference that will likely be cancelled.

Will I be able to cancel the SYD ticket and the entire e-credit be extended 2 years. Or will the purchase date of the original GVA ticket demand it be lost if not used by July 2020? I am facing a similar scenario with a D1 ticket to FCO in June.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Brendan
I have found a DL Refund Hotline which may be able to overrule this: 1-800-847-0578.
was your friend able to use the credit for someone else????i am in the same position with a lot of tickets booked for family members (that i paid for) who will now not be able to use the credit since they live overseas....
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I just tried to get a refund for SFO-ATL flight that changed by 2 hours 25 minutes. They refused. Original flight was 9am. about 2 weeks ago, that changed to 7:45am. Then a few days ago changed to 6:35am. I never accepted any of the changes. But they said that since each change was less than 90 minutes, those small changes are allowed. So even if total change is over 2 hrs, they do not have to provide refund.

Is that correct?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Why? Health experts and local government agencies say the risk is extremely low unless you are elderly and/or have certain pre-existing conditions such as asthma, obesity or heart disease. Data is supporting that. Local health experts now realize that the virus has been circulating in SEA since January, but it wasn't a big deal until it reached a vulnerable population in a nursing home, because almost all cases are extremely mild. Unless you are a member of a vulnerable population, there is no reason to fall into or feed the hysteria. There is no waiver for the flu, and that has killed 18,000 this season. Coronavirus has killed 9 in the U.S., all associated with the nursing home.
I assume that by now you have realized that this will last through June at best. (I'm in NYC) And then it will begin again in October/November. If not, You might want to consider your source of information, i.e., try another news channel and newspaper.
I do wonder if the DL e-credits will be valid AFTER the Feb2021 date for those tkts booked in Feb2020.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
My next itinerary (April 8 to DUB ex-US) has just disappeared, no email warning, nothing. I presume the flight is cancelled. Is the default to reimburse me the fare or do I need to call to make sure this happens? Will I receive an email about this? I don't want to clog up the call lines so I'm asking here, based on other people's experience. Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: dl platinum
If flight is moved earlier by more than 90 mins am I entitled to a refund. I know that’s case with later. Also this is a delta vacations package I’m trying to refund?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Keyser, Bill & I haven't tried yet!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat
On Jan 10, 2020 I cancelled a Delta Award ticket and paid the $150 miles redeposit fee. I immediately received an email from [email protected] confirming the cancellation, the miles redeposited, the taxes refunded, and the $150 charge. Today I could not find a second of my reservations in My Trips, so called Delta and the Delta CSA told me the trip had been cancelled earlier today and that the miles were being redeposited. Huh? Yup, she said, I canceled it. Well, I'm pretty sure I didn't, and was waiting for Delta to cancel the flights so that I could get my miles redeposited. Anyway, I mentioned that I had not received a cancellation email, and she said that Delta does not send out cancellation emails. I told her that I was staring at one I received on January 10, and she replied "I have been working here a long time and can assure you we don't send out confirmation emails of cancellations." I read her the text of the email I was staring at (Header: Economyplusfan, You've Successfully Canceled Your Trip. Hello Economyplusfan, CANCEL ITINERARY CONFIRMATION. You've successfully canceled your trip, ...) and offered to forward it to her. Nope, she said, we don't send those out. Hmmm... So, like other posters here, I have no record of the latest cancellation, no refund of taxes, and no miles redeposited. No ability to find the trip in My Trips, either by ccard, record locator, or ticket number. Also nothing in My Wallet.

Update: Looks like Delta cancelled my upcoming MSP-AMS flight today, so most likely Delta went in and cancelled my itinerary and refunded the miles. I will confirm once miles redeposited.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Apr 4, 2020 at 6:10 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Best to call if you want a refund, otherwise you'll receive an ecredit automatically after the original flight departure date if you don't do anything.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta
refund instead of e-credit

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Naturally, Delta would prefer that you accept a voucher and not request a refund. They are trying to conserve cash. With the change in flight time of over 90 minutes, you are perfectly within your rights to request a complete refund. Delta will refund immediately.
I have a quick question regarding refunds: I have an upcoming DL roundtrip in May and although there is no change in schedule nor cancellation, i am concerned about Covid-19 situation therefore i'd like to cancel my flight. Is there any way i can get a refund for this particular non-refundable fare instead of e-credit? What are your thoughts everyone?
Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by olea12
I have a quick question regarding refunds: I have an upcoming DL roundtrip in May and although there is no change in schedule nor cancellation, i am concerned about Covid-19 situation therefore i'd like to cancel my flight. Is there any way i can get a refund for this particular non-refundable fare instead of e-credit? What are your thoughts everyone?
Unlikely, unless Delta cancels the flight (or reschedules it over 90 minutes different).
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
Wow...I really thought the DOT was going to go the way of France and let airlines refuse refunds. Happy to see they didn't.
It's a pleasant surprise but not really a shock. There would have been political hell to pay if the airlines had been bailed out and then told they didn't have to issue refunds. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody at one of the airlines telegraphed to the DOT that they needed this both (1) to cover their rear end with their BOD and (2) to avoid getting hosed if they gave refunds and their competitors didn't (and so ended up in a worse cash position).
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:22 am

Does anyone have any idea yet if DL will allow GUC expiration extensions? Have two that are expiring soon and obviously can't really use them for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:52 am

I just got a message on my iPad from the Delta app stating "Your boarding pass is now availble for your trip to Melbourne."

(Not only is the flight canceled, but I received a refund some time ago.)

Harmless but...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.