Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

And now my eCredits/vouchers have vanished!!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:05 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I had a flight booked for May 11 to EWR. The purpose in purchasing this flight was because we had flights to Europe from Newark and needed to get there from Atlanta. I paid $233. I don't think we'll be going to Europe by then so I called to cancel. They said I couldn't get a refund to my credit card, just an e credit. I tried to argue a little bit but I honestly didn't know the rules so I just gave up. I ended up canceling the flight online and got the e-credit. I'd really prefer a refund to my credit card, would it be possible for me to request a refund via the refund form, or by calling? It's all a bit confusing to me, but I'd like the cash as opposed to a credit to be used for later. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MHall
How are refunds for flights booked with miles being handled? Are they waiving the usual $150 fee (note I no longer have status). I have a domestic trip starting May 30th that I should probably just cancel.
Welcome to FT! I can't find supporting documentation on the DL web site offhand but there were numerous recent reports that DL (and other airlines) are now waiving redeposit fees even for non-elites. If you want to be sure, call in and ask. You could also try reaching them via direct message on Twitter or Facebook Messenger.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:31 am

JFK to LHR on May 9th (DL0001) is not yet cancelled by Delta. Extremely doubtful we would go yet wanted Delta to cancel in hopes of refund vs credit. How far in advance is Delta cancelling international flights? I did see their announcement of many international flights from ATL being cancelled. Could DL0001 be the one that does go, regardless?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If they give you a hard time you could bring up google translate or something similar. Or if you have some documentation pertaining to the essential travel purpose?
Here is a link to the restriction information:
https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/re...AIN-PART-1.PDF
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I had a flight booked for May 11 to EWR. The purpose in purchasing this flight was because we had flights to Europe from Newark and needed to get there from Atlanta. I paid $233. I don't think we'll be going to Europe by then so I called to cancel. They said I couldn't get a refund to my credit card, just an e credit. I tried to argue a little bit but I honestly didn't know the rules so I just gave up. I ended up canceling the flight online and got the e-credit. I'd really prefer a refund to my credit card, would it be possible for me to request a refund via the refund form, or by calling? It's all a bit confusing to me, but I'd like the cash as opposed to a credit to be used for later. Thanks.
Was your EWR-Europe on DL or on another carrier? If it was on DL, I think that they would've given you a refund. If not, then you should only get e-credit because from DL's perspective, you're going from ATL-EWR and that's it.

The way I would've played it - wait to see if there are further schedule changes (greater than 90m to original departure/arrival) or full blown cancellation, then call and ask for a refund. If there was no schedule change, simply cancel online or just no-show and have the flight automatically converted to e-credit. There's nothing to gain by cancelling early without a valid refund reason with the current policies, unless you're planning to book a new flight with e-credit before May 11.

Last edited by tearex; Apr 7, 2020 at 1:24 pm Reason: adding a gain reason
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:08 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by tearex
Was your EWR-Europe on DL or on another carrier? If it was on DL, I think that they would've given you a refund. If not, then you should only get e-credit because from DL's perspective, you're going from ATL-EWR and that's it.

The way I would've played it - wait to see if there are further schedule changes (greater than 90m to original departure/arrival) or full blown cancellation, then call and ask for a refund. If there was no schedule change, simply cancel online or just no-show and have the flight automatically converted to e-credit. There's nothing to gain by cancelling early without a valid refund reason with the current policies, unless you're planning to book a new flight with e-credit before May 11.
I am thinking I waived any rights to a full refund by jumping the gun...oh well.

We were positioning to EWR for onward flights on United to Paris. Which I am sure even if the flights aren't canceled, travel won't be back to normal quite yet. When I called I told them the trip wasn't happening any more and did not mention the Europe part because I figured they wouldn't have cared. I probably should have waited. I will have a use for the credit, but cash is always better.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
My credits, tickets, vouchers are gone from he site as well.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I am thinking I waived any rights to a full refund by jumping the gun...oh well.

We were positioning to EWR for onward flights on United to Paris. Which I am sure even if the flights aren't canceled, travel won't be back to normal quite yet. When I called I told them the trip wasn't happening any more and did not mention the Europe part because I figured they wouldn't have cared. I probably should have waited. I will have a use for the credit, but cash is always better.
Monitor the flights. If they are cancelled or times are changed by more than 90 minutes or of it changes from a nonstop to a connection, Delta will refund, even if you have already cancelled the itinerary. Keep watching.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Monitor the flights. If they are cancelled or times are changed by more than 90 minutes or of it changes from a nonstop to a connection, Delta will refund, even if you have already cancelled the itinerary. Keep watching.
My PDX - LAS in a couple weeks was canceled. They switched me to PDX - SLC - LAS arriving about 5 hours later than originally. I called to cancel for a refund and they gave me a fight. Told me I could only get a credit because my fare was non-refundable. I pointed out (again) that they moved me from a non-stop to connection. She then proceeded to tell me the 90 minute rule when I pointed out to her that it was well in excess of 90 minutes.

I lot harder than it had to be.

I wonder if the PDX - LAS route ever flew. It was supposed to begin 1-APR.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
My PDX - LAS in a couple weeks was canceled. They switched me to PDX - SLC - LAS arriving about 5 hours later than originally. I called to cancel for a refund and they gave me a fight. Told me I could only get a credit because my fare was non-refundable. I pointed out (again) that they moved me from a non-stop to connection. She then proceeded to tell me the 90 minute rule when I pointed out to her that it was well in excess of 90 minutes.

I lot harder than it had to be.

I wonder if the PDX - LAS route ever flew. It was supposed to begin 1-APR.
You got a very poorly trained agent. What was the date and flight number? Very easy to check. Then HUCA
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:09 pm

What is the best way to request the refund on flights they cancel and rebook with greater than 90 minute changes? I came across this link which took you to a page to request it but didn’t know if I should go this route or call etc..

https://www.delta.com/contactus/iropForm
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dantrav
What is the best way to request the refund on flights they cancel and rebook with greater than 90 minute changes? I came across this link which took you to a page to request it but didn’t know if I should go this route or call etc..

https://www.delta.com/contactus/iropForm
My brother just got off the telly after getting told no refund on basic E with a schedule change of over 120mins. He did not know to bring that up, thinking that he should try again and push harder. Agree?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:55 pm

I have a flight ticket booked with Delta from Tokyo to Seattle for late April. However, now it is physically impossible to enter Japan (or get to Japan, but that's another topic) due to the ban on Americans and other nationalities. Will Delta refund my ticket? There is an option to "refund" the ticket on the Delta web site, but I did not click "continue" yet as I'm still holding out chance there is still a 5% chance that I could get to the airport, and transfer at Haneda. But I'm just asking for future reference for two weeks from now when I need to try to cancel and refund the ticket. Or will I need to call Delta, tell them I'm American and can't enter Japan and can't get there, and are they offering refunds right now automatically for this type of scenario? Or will it be a challenge? I really need to get the refund, as I need the funds available to look for any other options from Singapore back to the U.S. Thanks for any replies.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:24 pm

Coronavirus - Air France / Delta Europe Specific ECredit Extension?

I have a credit with Air France / Delta that I received last summer after I had to cancel the return leg of a trip from Europe to the US. When the agent gave me the credit, she mentioned that I can use it for any US to Europe and vice versa travel within one year. The original flight that was cancelled was an Air France marketed / Delta operated flight. I remember the number I called to cancel the ticket and get the credit from was a "Delta - Air France - KLM" line and I was talking to an American agent.

Is this credit considered a Delta credit or an Air France credit? Will the deadline to use this credit be extended because of the virus outbreak?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.