Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Diamond
Flight Changes w/ reissued MUA

Please move this to a more appropriate place if necessary...

I am taking a trip with my father the first week of June. We have our reissued tickets in D1 on an MUA from PS (cash fare). I am trying to figure out how Delta handles this if we are unable to take the trip due to flight cancellations or continuing travel restrictions? Do they refund the miles, or allow you to rebook into D1 with a PS underlying (For earning purposes) on another flight for the same route? (if so, does it depend on MUA inventory?)

Thanks in advance for advice & info. Hope y’all are staying healthy and sane in these wild times.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:39 am

Can someone please clairfy something for me? I have no status, but if I book an intl flight today with miles for early 2021, I can cancel it and the redeposit fee will be waived?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

What is the practical difference between an "Unused eTicket" and a "eCredit"?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:45 pm

One more question

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
My recommendation at this point would be to just sit tight and wait to see if things cancel. If so, then she is definitely entitled to a refund. Or if there is a significant schedule change (such as major time change or re-routing she is entitled to a refund as well). If they end up flying as is, she can take the credit.

Per the website you can use up to 3 e-credits total when booking a new reservation. The new reservation will have to be in her name, so no luck on using them for her husband.

I'm not sure if the verbiage is book by 12/31 or fly by 12/31. For now I would err on the side of caution and assume the fly by 12/31. But as this goes on things are still very much subject to change.

Also, if she ends up taking the credits: If for some reason they don't appear a few days after the trip, call in to DL to have them "unhooked" from the previous reservations. This way they will display online for easier rebooking later.
Is going from a non-stop flight to a flight with a connection considered a refund worthy change?

Last edited by stan1162; Apr 2, 2020 at 12:47 pm Reason: forgot
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thumbs up A gift from DL

Boy, did DL go "over-and-above" for us today. Last Nov. my DW and I made a deposit on a one way cruise for mid-Sept this year. At the same time we booked the pre & post-cruise one way award flts (9/6 and 9/19} with DL.
When the gov't suggested that people stop cruising we canceled our cruise about a week ago (my DW has an auto-immune disease so wanted to play if safe). Since we now had no reason to keep the flts I was prepared to pay 4 redeposit fees (4 x $150) to have the miles redeposited. This morning I thought I'd contact DL via Facebook and see what they could do for us. I did not think we had a chance of escaping 4 redeposit fees. But, after verifying our personal info, the rep. said she would cancel the tix and redeposit the miles & waive the fees. Just like that. I almost fell off my chair. I thanked her profusely and then presented the good news to my DW. WOW DELTA. Thank you so, so, much.

Last edited by philemer; Apr 2, 2020 at 2:14 pm
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by stan1162
Is going from a non-stop flight to a flight with a connection considered a refund worthy change?
Most definitely. Agents shouldn’t event give push back for requesting a refund in that scenario. If they do, simply state since your original non-stop flight is no longer operating that means it has been cancelled. Anytime there’s a cancelation you are entitled to a refund.

That’s the exact reason I requested a refund over the weekend for a trip late April. No issue at all with the agent. I received the refund confirmation emails almost instantly. Refund should post back to my card within 7-21 days. Nothing yet, but it has only been 4 days or so.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by stan1162
As others have said, yes, and there should be no questions or waffling. That was my experience and the refund hit my credit card on the third day after the call.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456
Recently got the Delta Amex Business credit card and need to book award travel.

1. Does the 1 bag free per person apply to award tickets "purchased" ($5.60 in fees only) with this card?
2. Delta is offering credits for travel that is canceled due to COVID-19 for tickets booked now. What is the policy for awards, do they get returned to the account?

Thanks in advance.
As long as you have the DL credit card you will get a free bag for everyone in your reservation, you don't have to pay for the reservation ( or the TSA fees) with the DL CC
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:46 pm

Does anyone have any idea how a refund for a flight paid for with multiple DL gift cards would be handled by Delta ? Would they just reissue one GC for the price of the flight ?

We have one flight paid for with miles and the other on multiple DL GCs. Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Skypass
Non-US Citizens in transit booking a hotel outside of airport

Hi all,

I am Canadian citizen travelling ICN-SEA-YVR and have 21 hour wait in SEA for my flight to YVR. I would like to book a hotel but am concerned that US Border and Protection Services will not allow me in given everything that happening . Does anyone know if there are entry restrictions on foreigners, who are in in transit, booking a hotel outside of the airport? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
Boy, did DL go "over-and-above" for us today. Last Nov. my DW and I made a deposit on a one way cruise for mid-Sept this year. At the same time we booked the pre & post-cruise one way award flts (9/6 and 9/19} with DL.
When the gov't suggested that people stop cruising we canceled our cruise about a week ago (my DW has an auto-immune disease so wanted to play if safe). Since we now had no reason to keep the flts I was prepared to pay 4 redeposit fees (4 x $150) to have the miles redeposited. This morning I thought I'd contact DL via Facebook and see what they could do for us. I did not think we had a chance of escaping 4 redeposit fees. But, after verifying our personal info, the rep. said she would cancel the tix and redeposit the miles & waive the fees. Just like that. I almost fell off my chair. I thanked her profusely and then presented the good news to my DW. WOW DELTA. Thank you so, so, much.
These are the examples what differentiates Delta from all other airlines. They will emerge even stronger once this situation is over.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by lucycan
I called back and they confirmed if I would have let it run its course I would have gotten a full refund. However I was cancelling other flights and was on the phone with Diamond line and they literally asked about this flight asking if I wanted to cancel. I was like, yes, since the flight would not happen. Now I feel they took advantage of me.
That's my concern. I called to change my return (I traveled from Malaysia to the US and was supposed to return on March 18th, but first my flights through Korea were cancelled and then my rebooked flights via Amsterdam were cancelled, and then Malaysia closed to border to all non Malaysians, so I called to postpone my return and also asked to rebook directly to Singapore since I couldn't get into Malaysia anyway. I was not charged a change fee, but the fare difference was $1200! (Of course, now Singapore has also closed its borders to non Singaporeans (I'm a long term pass holder, so now I can't get back there either!) So, I pushed my return to Singapore to September with hopes that things will settle down by then. But, I had a trip that was supposed to take place from Singapore to MSP in early May and I won't be there to take that flight. When I called, I had planned on just waiting to cancel the summer trip (since I won't be there to take it) but the agent basically said that I needed to cancel since I wouldn't be in Singapore and that I would receive an e-credit and that there was no option of a cash refund. I wish I had held onto that ticket, because now Delta they has cancelled that flight and my understanding is that they would have to give a cash credit. I think that there is zero chance that I will be able to use the e-credit before the end of the ticket validity since I bought it early last November, so in that case, I will lose about $5200. I understand the airlines are really suffering and don't want to lose the cash by giving refunds instead of vouchers (which for many of us can't be used) but I really wish that they would be more flexible.

**Edited after just receiving an email from Delta that they are extending the valiidity of e-credits for cancelled travel from flights in March, April or May 2020 to travel through May 31st, 2022! Thank you, Delta!

Last edited by PeggyJM; Apr 3, 2020 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Delta extends validity of COVID-19 related vouchers until May 2022

Modes - you can merge this with an existing thread, but I thought is was a significant release by DL. Kudos to DL for this:

https://news.delta.com/flexibility-t...travel-2-years
K7Beach and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Also - all tickets purchased through 5/31 will be eligible for change fee waiver

https://news.delta.com/flexibility-t...travel-2-years
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
A smart move by Delta. Great marketing and importantly it makes it easier for them to push eCredits instead of refunds for cancelled flights. Other things they could do would be to waive fare differences for rebooking the same trip in the same cabin and extending reissued certificates the same way. We're anticipating that this will continue past May and we'll have flights cancelled that used GUC's and SkyBonus Certificates. We've already had a Companion Fare trip cancelled and the Certificate was reactivated with the original date and will expire unused if there's no additional extension.
K7Beach, arh1 and tearex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.