Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MNMom
... am curious to know if there has been any success asking DL to extend rebooking and traveling date beyond their current rule of 12 month from original booking date...
In September 2019, I booked travel for March 2020. Delta let me change my travel dates to November 2020.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Plat Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
Had a 5-hour schedule change for a flight on 09APR. Asked for a refund on Twitter this morning and it was approved with no push back at all. Got the confirmation email immediately. Delta is still one of the good guys.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Waited for about half an hour on hold this AM but the person I talked to was helpful. Refunds for the fare reduction after I changed my departure date form UIO (Quito) as well as the rest of the fare after DL canceled the whole itinerary are due but it will take time. That's the status of all of the refunds I'm due from other entities although I've got about $2K in charges on my current billing cycle that will have to be paid while I wait. It's manageable.

I feel for the phone agents. They're probably swamped now, dealing with sad and angry people, and when things slow down as existing flights are cancelled/rebooked and then bookings slow down, some will be out of a job.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Not sure if this is a change in policy, but I am in almost the exact same scenario and asked for a refund and was denied:

"Due to the current pandemic we have been required to significantly decrease the number of flights we normally operate. Your originally scheduled flight was cancelled and consolidated to the later afternoon flight. As this is out of our control we are not able to process refunds at this time. We can cancel your current flights and allow this to be an open credit available for you to use for up to one year from the original ticketing purchase date, we will waive all fees and you will have the full value of the ticket to use for future travel."
Early this morning I received an e-mail from Delta to notify me that my one-way nonstop BOS-DCA flight in mid-April had been cancelled; the alternative offered was a connection through JFK, which I did not want. The only cancellation option offered online was for a credit to be used by October (12 months from purchase date). so I phoned and left a message. My call was returned in about 30 minutes, as promised, and a very helpful agent processed a full refund to my credit card, where it is supposed to show up in 7-21 days.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JPG3392
Early this morning I received an e-mail from Delta to notify me that my one-way nonstop BOS-DCA flight in mid-April had been cancelled; the alternative offered was a connection through JFK, which I did not want. The only cancellation option offered online was for a credit to be used by October (12 months from purchase date). so I phoned and left a message. My call was returned in about 30 minutes, as promised, and a very helpful agent processed a full refund to my credit card, where it is supposed to show up in 7-21 days.

I just received an email from Delta informing me that my itinerary for what was originally a nonstop SEA --> KOA flight has now been changed to route through LAX. Obviously this is absolutely unacceptable to me...I would never agree to / accept a change from a nonstop to a stop in LAX. Presume this is a pretty cut and dry scenario where Delta will give me a full refund without hesitation? Or will they still try and push me towards accepting a credit (which I do not want) for a future flight? On hold right now trying to get through to an agent...
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Another data point - I had a direct MSP-LHR roundtrip in business class for 3 pax booked for mid-April. Today, I picked up an e-mail with a schedule change to MSP-ATL-LHR outbound. I called Delta and was put on hold for 45 minutes (promised 35 minutes, but close enough). Anyway, once I reached a rep, she was willing to process a refund for the (fairly substantial - over $10K all-in) ticket purchase price to my original card.

No complaints on my end as to how Delta handled this.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ajcopley
I just received an email from Delta informing me that my itinerary for what was originally a nonstop SEA --> KOA flight has now been changed to route through LAX. Obviously this is absolutely unacceptable to me...I would never agree to / accept a change from a nonstop to a stop in LAX. Presume this is a pretty cut and dry scenario where Delta will give me a full refund without hesitation? Or will they still try and push me towards accepting a credit (which I do not want) for a future flight? On hold right now trying to get through to an agent...
When I phoned Delta in my similar situation this morning, I was able to leave my phone number and have Delta call back. The agent who returned my call gave me a full refund without hesitation upon my (polite) request. She made no effort at all to push me to accept a credit for a future flight, though doing that had been the only option offered online..
sierranevada likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JPG3392
When I phoned Delta in my similar situation this morning, I was able to leave my phone number and have Delta call back. The agent who returned my call gave me a full refund without hesitation upon my (polite) request. She made no effort at all to push me to accept a credit for a future flight, though doing that had been the only option offered online..
Just got off the phone with the delta agent. Full refund issued no questions asked. I'm satisfied.
sierranevada and JPG3392 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by edandolo
Had a 5-hour schedule change for a flight on 09APR. Asked for a refund on Twitter this morning and it was approved with no push back at all. Got the confirmation email immediately. Delta is still one of the good guys.
How fast did you get a reply on Twitter? I asked yesterday about a cancelled flight and did not receive a reply. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Question - flight is 4/30 and was nonstop SFO-BOS. Got email that schedule has changed to a connecting flight that leaves one hour earlier and arrives 30 minutes later but obviously total travel time has increased. (SFO-DTW-BOS) Does that change qualify for a refund? Other option is to continue to wait and see if they just cancel the flights. Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajcopley
Just got off the phone with the delta agent. Full refund issued no questions asked. I'm satisfied.
DL is a joy to deal with compared to UA. Similar cancellations on international flights, UA issues Future Flight Credit while DL issues credit card refund without hesitation.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada
Question - flight is 4/30 and was nonstop SFO-BOS. Got email that schedule has changed to a connecting flight that leaves one hour earlier and arrives 30 minutes later but obviously total travel time has increased. (SFO-DTW-BOS) Does that change qualify for a refund? Other option is to continue to wait and see if they just cancel the flights. Thanks
Your situation is similar to mine as described a few posts above, though in my case the change was from nonstop BOS-DCA to BOS-JFK-DCA. I received a refund immediately upon speaking to a Delta agent on the phone, though it was not possible to arrange for a refund online. Even though the e-mail euphemistically refers to a schedule change, the fact remains that your original flight, like mine, has been cancelled by Delta.
sierranevada likes this.

Last edited by JPG3392; Mar 31, 2020 at 9:13 am Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Got through after 35min. Not bad. Originally booked April 9th YWG-MSP-AMS-CPT. obviously all cancelled. No issues on the phone, representative was very helpful. Did state that refunds may take up to 21 business days given the volume but it seems on here they are posting somewhat earlier. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Athena53
That's the status of all of the refunds I'm due from other entities although I've got about $2K in charges on my current billing cycle that will have to be paid while I wait. It's manageable.
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got about $3000 from various businesses (DL about $1700 of that) where I’m waiting on refunds to appear on my AMEX. Trying to shift more spend to the card to offset these refunds plus minimize the reduction in SkyMiles and impact to the MQD waiver spend. I have noticed that in the beginning of this ordeal refunds were a lot quicker to appear... now they are getting further apart. I have an elaborate hand-written document trying to keep track of things lol.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
I remembered at one time, the website said "unlimited changes" for ticket purchased from Mar 1 - Mar 31.

But this language seems gone now. And when I called, the phone rep kept saying "it's a ONE TIME change fee waiver, further change will have a $200 fee" even though the ticket was booked in the time window...

Any insights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.