Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
Does this mean that if I purchased a ticket today, the money that I spent can be used for travel until Sept 30, 2022 without paying any change fees? How many times can I make changes? Thanks.

change fee waivers have been extended to allow travel through Sept. 30, 2022, for customers who have upcoming travel booked as of today through Sept. 30, 2020, or have canceled travel from flights in March through Sept. 30, 2020.”
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...e-requirements

"Tickets originally purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee* for up to a year from the date you purchased it. "
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:35 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I assume if Delta ticketed, China Airlines award ticket, if CI cancels, I still call Delta to get rebooked....I want to stay on CI but the rebook dates only have Chinese flight options....
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I assume if Delta ticketed, China Airlines award ticket, if CI cancels, I still call Delta to get rebooked....I want to stay on CI but the rebook dates only have Chinese flight options....
For a Delta Skymiles award ticket with flights operated by CI, yes, you deal with DL for rebooking. Roughly speaking it's as if you booked a CI flight using an OTA, except here DL is your OTA (with the advantage that they can force space on their own metal, although that's probably not very helpful at the moment with international flight reductions)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
If I make an award booking, will I be able to cancel the booking without penalty up to a year after booking and will I get the miles redeposited or will I get a eCredit issued for this?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ab2013
If I make an award booking, will I be able to cancel the booking without penalty up to a year after booking and will I get the miles redeposited or will I get a eCredit issued for this?
Item 10 under FAQS:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ravel/overview

"10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee."
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Zorak
Item 10 under FAQS:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ravel/overview

"10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee."
They sure made that non-obvious. So basically any flights booked on or before May 31, 2020 get a mileage redeposit waiver? Do we also get the tax refunded if we cancel? If so, time for some speculative bookings!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta gold
Hoping someone also has only the inbound flight of a RT ticket cancelled and could advise on options before I phone Delta.

RT ticket booked Mar 12 for Jnb/Dtw. Outbound travel JnbDtw completed on Mar 15. Inbound DtwJnb for Apr 28 has been cancelled by Delta.
Delta sent email saying saying an e-credit would be processed for the cancelled flight. Have checked SkyMiles account and e-credit is showing but no $ value is showing and states I need to call.

does anyone know if the "value" of the e credit will be a flight Dtw/Jnb, or if it will have an actual $ value.
Even if I can get Delta to do a cash refund for the return portion, I will need to purchase a one way ticket to fly Dtw/Jnb and of course this will probably be more expensive than the the entire original RT ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I cannot imagine a situation in which I would take a credit rather than a refund. Better to have the cash in your account where you can invest it until you need or want it for travel or something else. What if DL no longer serves the destination you want, what if the schedule is lousy, what if the prices are terrible? With a credit, you are stuck. The bankruptcy issue is a bit of a risk, but not particularly large. I just can't see loaning money for 0%.

There is absolutely no reason to cancel until the day of scheduled travel. If DL is still operating, then cancel and take the credit. If DL cancels, take the refund. DL may push back a bit, but just be firm and clear that you want a refund.

Whatever you do, don't jump the gun. No reason to make a decision until you have to.
AMEX gives 5X RC for each $ spent on trips booked through AMEX travel. When you get a refund they claw back RCs, with a voucher you get to keep the RCs. DITTO for other cc's which periodically give "real $" bonuses or other incentives. Of course it all depends on how you value bonuses.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TLBpassenger
Hoping someone also has only the inbound flight of a RT ticket cancelled and could advise on options before I phone Delta.

RT ticket booked Mar 12 for Jnb/Dtw. Outbound travel JnbDtw completed on Mar 15. Inbound DtwJnb for Apr 28 has been cancelled by Delta.
Delta sent email saying saying an e-credit would be processed for the cancelled flight. Have checked SkyMiles account and e-credit is showing but no $ value is showing and states I need to call.

does anyone know if the "value" of the e credit will be a flight Dtw/Jnb, or if it will have an actual $ value.
Even if I can get Delta to do a cash refund for the return portion, I will need to purchase a one way ticket to fly Dtw/Jnb and of course this will probably be more expensive than the the entire original RT ticket.
i have received e-credit for an inbound flight that i could not take due to travel restrictions....the value of the e-credit is not mentioned when you view the voucher online & you have to call to use it & find out the value....
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:47 am

Is an EWR to JFK airport change sufficient to justify a refund? Trying to advise my mom how hard to push; she booked through Chase and they just want to offer a credit.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Is an EWR to JFK airport change sufficient to justify a refund? Trying to advise my mom how hard to push; she booked through Chase and they just want to offer a credit.
if dl changed the airport then you are entitled to a refund....
Brendan and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Yes, a change of airport is a sufficient reason to insist (politely) on a cash refund.
Brendan and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Wallet - E-credit Question

I had four trips planned. Two in April (international), one in June (domestic) and one in September (international). The first three are now cancelled, the September trip is still on at this point - all the details are in "My Trip". However, it ALSO shows as an e-credit to be used by 9/30/2022 in"My Wallet", is this normal? I've not seen this before
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by GregInMN
I had four trips planned. Two in April (international), one in June (domestic) and one in September (international). The first three are now cancelled, the September trip is still on at this point - all the details are in "My Trip". However, it ALSO shows as an e-credit to be used by 9/30/2022 in"My Wallet", is this normal? I've not seen this before
I noticed this too with one flight which was "live" at the time, although I have since cancelled it. I don't remember seeing it before either, and I'm sure it's an artifact of COVID handling, probably related to any ticket turning into an eCredit if you no-show.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
In January 2020, I booked at Delta website a YYC-PHL (via BOS) flight for travel in July. First leg is with Westjet (YYC-BOS), then second leg is with Delta connection (BOS-PHL). Delta is offering waive cancellation fee and I will get eCredit good for travel until 9/30/2022. But, what about the flight with WestJet? Will I get eCredit? Are Delta eCredit good for travel on WestJet flights? (United Airlines electronic travel credit is good only on United Airlines flights, not partners such as Air Canada.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.