Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
The home page of Delta.com now proclaims "NO CHANGE FEES FOR TRAVEL BOOKED THROUGH MARCH 31 Book with confidence."

But when you click find out more, it says "not including travel within the U.S. 50."

Which is it, Delta? Very deceiving.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have a JFK-BCN round trip scheduled for next week. I booked during last year's SkyMile flash sale. With increasing cases in Spain, and many employers now demanding self-quarantine for all EU travel, the situation is getting a bit murkier. Based on my reading of the travel waiver, I am not eligible for free cancellation (with mileage redeposit) or a change in my flight to a later date at the sale price (which was 96,000 miles round trip for two tickets). Is that fair? I guess I can still pay the $150 per ticket redeposit fee (which I guess should be covered by Amex Platinum airline fee credit)
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Any recent data points on how long the processing time is for points redeposit and refund of taxes in a situation where redeposit fees are being waived? (BTW, call center staff were understanding and professional.)
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have a JFK-BCN round trip scheduled for next week. I booked during last year's SkyMile flash sale. With increasing cases in Spain, and many employers now demanding self-quarantine for all EU travel, the situation is getting a bit murkier. Based on my reading of the travel waiver, I am not eligible for free cancellation (with mileage redeposit) or a change in my flight to a later date at the sale price (which was 96,000 miles round trip for two tickets). Is that fair? I guess I can still pay the $150 per ticket redeposit fee (which I guess should be covered by Amex Platinum airline fee credit)
I would call. An agent may give you the waiver where online is governed by rules that don't allow it.

Israel just added Spain to the self-quarantine list along with a few other European countires
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Delta has updated its policy to include all travel (previously it's just international travel) booked in March for the change fee waiver: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ulletin-2.html
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I think they need to backdate this to travel booked in February also. The expected impact is similar today to what it was 10 days ago. Tickets booked at the end of February should be included.

Originally Posted by Summend
Delta has updated its policy to include all travel (previously it's just international travel) booked in March for the change fee waiver: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ulletin-2.html
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
They have another waiver in place giving people booked international travel before March free changes as well.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ray1111
Any recent data points on how long the processing time is for points redeposit and refund of taxes in a situation where redeposit fees are being waived? (BTW, call center staff were understanding and professional.)
Points were refunded within a hour,,, was told that the taxes and fees will be refunded within 7 days
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG
So it looks like I can't get ANYTHING back from a E ticket booked in January for a flight in April now that I'm past the 24 hour change window?

Guess I can hold out and hope that Delta adjusts their policy...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Summend
They have another waiver in place giving people booked international travel before March free changes as well.
But for tickets purchased before March 1, the rebooked travel has to begin before May 31, 2020. Not much of a window compared to that for tickets purchased in March.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
When I go to my trips for a March trip to to CDG, there's a button to modify flights. Clicking through leads to modify or cancel. Cancel says request refund. Does that mean full refund to original payment method? Is there any reason I'd choose modify?
Originally Posted by bgw210
I have the same question... I have an upcoming award trip in three weeks LAX-LHR and there is a Modify > Cancel button under My Trips. However, I'm not sure if that option has always been there or if it's a new option and whether it is still subject to the $150 cancellation/redeposit fee. I'm too chicken to press the Cancel button and see what happens on the next page.
Does anyone know the answer to these question? If DL is offering a "request refund" option in addition to a modify option, does that mean full refund to original form of payment? If there is a fee or other penalty, would it be clearly disclosed before your request is final?

BTW, my ticket is revenue, not award.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
For the past month, every time I've tried to cancel or modify a flight online I get this message:
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
For the past month, every time I've tried to cancel or modify a flight online I get this message:
That's typical and how it normally is. Nothing new.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
But for tickets purchased before March 1, the rebooked travel has to begin before May 31, 2020. Not much of a window compared to that for tickets purchased in March.
This is counter-intuitive.
If I booked last month, thinking this would get better, why am I penalized, when...
... someone who JUST booked - knowing how bad it is - gets a "pass" through 2021?
...?
notquiteaff and jebr like this.

Last edited by ryandc99; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:36 pm Reason: Mod note - removed offensive language
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by lindros2
This is counter-intuitive.
If I booked last month, thinking this would get better, why am I penalized, when...
... someone who JUST booked - knowing how bad it is - gets a "pass" through 2021?
...?
Because they already have your money and they want the new person's money.

Last edited by ryandc99; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:36 pm Reason: removed quoted offensive language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.