Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
While I appreciate the general advice for the last 60 days to "just call Singapore" I still find that too be ridiculous.

Not to mention back in ~2017 someone on FT posted a "back door" in the United IVR to get the next available agent. That lasted about 3 months before it got shut down.

What happens when DL starts blocking US +1 numbers to that call center?

At this point there needs too be a long term solution to the problem.

These shortcuts won't last long if they are on flyertalk.
Agree. I'm not calling there
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by estedman
Agree. I'm not calling there
Calling a publicized number is wrong? Again, no one is cheating here. They're paying international long distance rates to contact a representative in different country. The Singaporean agent doesnt answer calls to the US 1-800 number. If anything you're providing job security as it means they're actually handling calls.
ryandc99, wrp96, diburning and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
While I appreciate the general advice for the last 60 days to "just call Singapore" I still find that too be ridiculous.

Not to mention back in ~2017 someone on FT posted a "back door" in the United IVR to get the next available agent. That lasted about 3 months before it got shut down.

What happens when DL starts blocking US +1 numbers to that call center?

At this point there needs too be a long term solution to the problem.

These shortcuts won't last long if they are on flyertalk.
sure, DL needs to fix the problem, but in the meantime, if you need to talk to someone, your suggestion is to just wait on hold longer than necessary because calling singapore violates some sense of... what, exactly? Yes, maybe they put in a call blocking measure, so what? People will adapt.
ijgordon and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
sure, DL needs to fix the problem, but in the meantime, if you need to talk to someone, your suggestion is to just wait on hold longer than necessary because calling singapore violates some sense of... what, exactly? Yes, maybe they put in a call blocking measure, so what? People will adapt.
In a way calling Singapore helps DL as it load balances on the customer nickle.

Personally I just call and leave my phone on speakerphone while I go about other business. I used to use messages and callbacks, but those have been to unreliable recently.

Also, the estimated wait times near useless. They are always a problem with call centers for legit reasons. Would be nice though if they would give an update every 5 minutes or so. Yes, that might mean hearing a message that the estimate got longer, but overall it will help.
MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 1, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA and UA reinstated their furloughed employees at the beginning of this year. In contrast, DL didn't furlough employees but instead allowed them to take early retirement which essentially means the were not on call for rehire at all.
31 July 2021American Airlines is set to recall all remaining flight attendants from long-term leaves of absence and is poised to restart new flight attendant hiring to head off a crew shortage as the rebound in travel demand continues unabated. The Dallas Fort Worth-based carrier is even considering vacation buybacks as its struggles to match employee scheduling with its planned operation.

Late last month, the airline was forced to pro-actively cancel hundreds of flights through July due to a slew of issues including a labor shortage. A spokesperson said cutting its planned schedule by around 1 per cent would bring some much needed additional resilience and certainty to its summer operations.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LordJohn
31 July 2021American Airlines is set to recall all remaining flight attendants from long-term leaves of absence and is poised to restart new flight attendant hiring to head off a crew shortage as the rebound in travel demand continues unabated. The Dallas Fort Worth-based carrier is even considering vacation buybacks as its struggles to match employee scheduling with its planned operation.

Late last month, the airline was forced to pro-actively cancel hundreds of flights through July due to a slew of issues including a labor shortage. A spokesperson said cutting its planned schedule by around 1 per cent would bring some much needed additional resilience and certainty to its summer operations.
An LoA is completely different than a furlough or a layoff. LoAs are taken voluntarily by the employee.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:05 pm
Suspended

An LoA is completely different than a furlough or a layoff. LoAs are taken voluntarily by the employee.
They are all a way for a company to lower its paid staff. Apples and Oranges = fruit
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are all a way for a company to lower its paid staff. Apples and Oranges = fruit
I don't think you understand what a leave of absence is based on this comment.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
AA and UA reinstated their furloughed employees at the beginning of this year. In contrast, DL didn't furlough employees but instead allowed them to take early retirement which essentially means the were not on call for rehire at all.
Delta did not only offer VEOP (Voluntary Early Out Program). They also offered voluntary temporary unpaid leave of absences. Many of those employees are already back and more return on October 1.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:25 am
Suspended

I don't think you understand what a leave of absence is based on this comment.
Hi CMD
I believe I do. The comment is based on above complaints that people have had long hold times to contact Delta (as an aside, I just did and it was 2 min). Based on that > apples and oranges. Over 1/2 (if I remember the numbers) were "not working" (for LOV, lay off, VEOP, etc due to the virus problem. Perhaps why Delta survived better than any other US airline (at least my stock did). Have a great day
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi CMD
I believe I do. The comment is based on above complaints that people have had long hold times to contact Delta (as an aside, I just did and it was 2 min). Based on that > apples and oranges. Over 1/2 (if I remember the numbers) were "not working" (for LOV, lay off, VEOP, etc due to the virus problem. Perhaps why Delta survived better than any other US airline (at least my stock did). Have a great day
Okay, in that case I'm not sure why you're citing something referencing AA employees on LoAs returning to work. AA and UA both recalled their furloughed employees (eg. the ones that were out of work involuntarily) at the start of the year. DL took the approach of avoiding furloughs and instead chose to offer generous early retirement packages, therefore out of the thousands of employees who accepted those packages, very very few are actually going to return. They are under no obligation to do so.

This has left DL in a far worse position in terms of staffing because they have no employees to recall, and their pay for new employees is so poor they can't find any. Therefore, management of the airline failed at keeping the operation properly staffed, and also failed at properly forecasting demand increasing and this has lead to woefully unacceptable hold times and poor customer service throughout all status levels.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the share price. That's largely irrelevant to the actual problems with the airline, which I'll note averaged greater losses over the last year and a half compared with its primary competitors.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:39 am

DL took the approach of avoiding furloughs and instead chose to offer generous early retirement packages, therefore out of the thousands of employees who accepted those packages, very very few are actually going to return. They are under no obligation to do so.

This has left DL in a far worse position in terms of staffing because they have no employees to recall, and their pay for new employees is so poor they can't find any. Therefore, management of the airline failed at keeping the operation properly staffed, and also failed at properly forecasting demand increasing and this has lead to woefully unacceptable hold times and poor customer service throughout all status levels.
This is mostly false. Delta has a bunch of employees returning from temporary leaves of absences in October. A bunch more came back last Spring. The other airlines you mentioned also did early out programs.

Ed has said Delta will hire 5,000 workers this summer/fall and is not having any problem attracting applicants. It just takes time to train them. Contractors and vendors are a different issue.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Ed has said Delta will hire 5,000 workers this summer/fall and is not having any problem attracting applicants. It just takes time to train them. Contractors and vendors are a different issue.
So why didn't they do that a year ago? This has been an ongoing problem for far longer than that.
SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:45 am

So why didn't they do that a year ago? This has been an ongoing problem for far longer than that.
Maybe because they were losing $27 million a day.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Aug 2, 2021 at 10:53 am
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Maybe because they were losing $27 million a day.
Which would be irrelevant as employees were covered under the PSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.