Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by cmd320
Okay, in that case I'm not sure why you're citing something referencing AA employees on LoAs returning to work. AA and UA both recalled their furloughed employees (eg. the ones that were out of work involuntarily) at the start of the year. DL took the approach of avoiding furloughs and instead chose to offer generous early retirement packages, therefore out of the thousands of employees who accepted those packages, very very few are actually going to return. They are under no obligation to do so.

This has left DL in a far worse position in terms of staffing because they have no employees to recall, and their pay for new employees is so poor they can't find any. Therefore, management of the airline failed at keeping the operation properly staffed, and also failed at properly forecasting demand increasing and this has lead to woefully unacceptable hold times and poor customer service throughout all status levels.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the share price. That's largely irrelevant to the actual problems with the airline, which I'll note averaged greater losses over the last year and a half compared with its primary competitors.
This right here. There are BPOs/Outsourcing firms that are paying their remote/WFH employees more than DL is for call center agents in MSP.

This also doesn't factor in how great the job market is here either. With the exception of free flights, which are getting harder and harder to get cleared on to, where's the incentive to get paid $15/hr to get yelled at for nine hour hold times?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM

This also doesn't factor in how great the job market is here either. With the exception of free flights, which are getting harder and harder to get cleared on to, where's the incentive to get paid $15/hr to get yelled at for nine hour hold times?
It's better than getting yelled at in person by someone four inches from your face at the Best Buy or Walmart customer service desk?
MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Monday 7pm EST - 3+ hour call back for DM!
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by p100a
Monday 7pm EST - 3+ hour call back for DM!
Emphasis on the +. I'm at 4 hours and counting for callback (Also DM and quoted 3+).
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
Okay, in that case I'm not sure why you're citing something referencing AA employees on LoAs returning to work. AA and UA both recalled their furloughed employees (eg. the ones that were out of work involuntarily) at the start of the year.
The date of the press release for AA was 31 July 2001 29 Jan '21:
American Airlines recently announced plans to cancel hundreds of flights in July, citing a spike in travel demand, and a dearth of workers.
United Airlines said the jobs of roughly 14,000 employees are at risk when a second round of federal aid expires this spring,
So please add facts to your statements
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
So why didn't they do that a year ago? This has been an ongoing problem for far longer than that.
why when very few were flying???? Be glad that Delta has cut few flights as compared to UA and AA
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Just tried calling DM line... 3 hours. Thanks for nothing Delta. Seriously...
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:04 pm

I dread the moment when I have to call them...
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LordJohn
The date of the press release for AA was 31 July 2001 29 Jan '21:
American Airlines recently announced plans to cancel hundreds of flights in July, citing a spike in travel demand, and a dearth of workers.
United Airlines said the jobs of roughly 14,000 employees are at risk when a second round of federal aid expires this spring,
So please add facts to your statements
None of this is in any way relevant…

Originally Posted by LordJohn
why when very few were flying???? Be glad that Delta has cut few flights as compared to UA and AA
Because the hold times were still ranging from a dozen hours to days at that point. Even if traffic was at 20% of normal, this is still completely inadequate. And where did you get the idea that Delta was operating more of its schedule relative to normal compared with AA and UA?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Okay, in that case I'm not sure why you're citing something referencing AA employees on LoAs returning to work. AA and UA both recalled their furloughed employees (eg. the ones that were out of work involuntarily) at the start of the year. DL took the approach of avoiding furloughs and instead chose to offer generous early retirement packages, therefore out of the thousands of employees who accepted those packages, very very few are actually going to return. They are under no obligation to do so.

This has left DL in a far worse position in terms of staffing because they have no employees to recall, and their pay for new employees is so poor they can't find any. Therefore, management of the airline failed at keeping the operation properly staffed, and also failed at properly forecasting demand increasing and this has lead to woefully unacceptable hold times and poor customer service throughout all status levels.
AA has canceled 530 flights today, many due to lack of crew. Spirit is in full meltdown, axing 40 percent of its schedule today. Southwest delayed 1,173 flights and the day is not yet over.

Every US airline cut staff during the pandemic and every one is now hiring and training new employees. The Delta reservation hold times are frustrating but hardly the end of the world. The grass is not always greener on the other side, but if you really think it is, go try American.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
AA has canceled 530 flights today, many due to lack of crew. Spirit is in full meltdown, axing 40 percent of its schedule today. Southwest delayed 1,173 flights and the day is not yet over.

Every US airline cut staff during the pandemic and every one is now hiring and training new employees. The Delta reservation hold times are frustrating but hardly the end of the world. The grass is not always greener on the other side, but if you really think it is, go try American.
I fly AA all the time, I can assure you they’re just as bad as DL in many ways. Phone wait times aren’t one of them. Nice try though.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
delete

Last edited by DLASflyer; Aug 2, 2021 at 7:55 pm
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
The grass is not always greener on the other side, but if you really think it is, go try American.
Actually I would suggest UA.

I waited 5 seconds for UA web support last night.
wrp96 and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
While I appreciate the general advice for the last 60 days to "just call Singapore" I still find that too be ridiculous.

Not to mention back in ~2017 someone on FT posted a "back door" in the United IVR to get the next available agent. That lasted about 3 months before it got shut down.

What happens when DL starts blocking US +1 numbers to that call center?

At this point there needs too be a long term solution to the problem.

These shortcuts won't last long if they are on flyertalk.
I was thinking this as well as most workarounds to problems that are posted publicly are usually patched, but this seems to have lasted a while now, thankfully.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamirD
I was thinking this as well as most workarounds to problems that are posted publicly are usually patched, but this seems to have lasted a while now, thankfully.
Those workarounds are cheats that you're not supposed to do. That's not the case here. DL publishes the Singapore phone number on it's website
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.