Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by delpiero223
When did the chat on delta.com stop working? After pressing the "Representative"-button, no reply is given from the chat bot.
Probably an 'update' that broke it--either on Delta's side or yours or both. I'd try different browsers to find out whose issue it is.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Okay, but seriously, if it's a simple ticket, does clicking "Modify Flight" and rebooking the same exact flight not generate an e-Credit?
It does unless you get the "this itinerary cannot be modified online" message, which happens quite frequently IME.
SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SamirD
Probably an 'update' that broke it--either on Delta's side or yours or both. I'd try different browsers to find out whose issue it is.
I already tried multiple browser, multiple times. My results are so far:
- Firefox: Chat window doesn't even show up
- Chrome: Stuck after writing "representative" and confirming
- Edge: dio

So I assume it's an issue on Delta's site, but can't tell for sure. Maybe the bot is just not replying when wait time exceeds a maximum. Might also be related to those annoying redirects always sending me to the German site so that I have to choose "US - English" manually each time.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by delpiero223
I already tried multiple browser, multiple times. My results are so far:
- Firefox: Chat window doesn't even show up
- Chrome: Stuck after writing "representative" and confirming
- Edge: dio

So I assume it's an issue on Delta's site, but can't tell for sure. Maybe the bot is just not replying when wait time exceeds a maximum. Might also be related to those annoying redirects always sending me to the German site so that I have to choose "US - English" manually each time.
I'm waiting for someone to post a 'me too' type of post before I'm going to say it's on Delta. Between that site change having to be done each time and chrome partially working, I think it's just your setup, although a change on Delta's side probably caused it.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Okay, but seriously, if it's a simple ticket, does clicking "Modify Flight" and rebooking the same exact flight not generate an e-Credit?

I have Google Flight alerts set for some upcoming trips, but really don't want to call in...
If it works, sure. But if you've done anything to modify the booking (up-faring to C+/F for example) it'll error out in my experience. Heck, just trying to book a standard flight online it errors out all the time for me.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:52 pm

"Canceling" seems even more problematic than "modifying" on the website too. Several itins I needed to cancel, I would get the "error" screen that asks you to enter everything manually to be sent off, and I don't trust that process to happen before the flight leaves and my ticket is "voided due to a no show". But sometimes I CAN get the modify to work in those cases, and I just change it to some future "holding" flight to preserve the value. Got to love what you have to go through to fly DL these days. (And thank you no change fees or we wouldn't even have that option!)
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by SamirD
I'm waiting for someone to post a 'me too' type of post before I'm going to say it's on Delta. Between that site change having to be done each time and chrome partially working, I think it's just your setup, although a change on Delta's side probably caused it.
I just had an issue with the chat via the official text number. It asks me to confirm I want a representative and then it never responds again. Then I got a text from a rep 8 hours later while sleeping.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had been putting off calling the DM line to make a few flight changes etc that I felt were pretty complicated so I wanted an in person touch point. Called and was quoted 8 minutes for a return. I damn near dropped the phone. It ended up being about 10 which is still great. Had the best agent I haver ever worked with. Her name is Ariel and she was phenomenal. Pleasant, efficient, accurate and very easy to deal with.

Just wanted to add a little positive "atta boy" to Delta and Ariel.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I called the gold line this morning and waited 20 minutes. Not sure what happened, but last week it was 3 hours. Perhaps more staff started after the July 4th holiday?
Ryno1234 and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I think they are A/B testing to see how bad they can let it get before they lose too much revenue.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have never appreciated Google's "Hold for me" feature (https://support.google.com/assistant...10071878?hl=en) as much as I do right now.

I'm at 2.5 hours.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I tried the call back function. It said it would call me back in 49 minutes. More like one hour and 49 minutes. Then it said I'd be connected to the next operator. After 25 minutes it said I was next. Five more minutes and the hold music cut off. Another 6 minutes and it made a clicking sound like I was about to be connected, and it hung up on me.

How lovely.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Still can’t get the mobile chat to work. Been trying all day.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I sent in a polite but detailed complaint about failure of the chat and call back systems and lack of twitter though the website, and after perhaps an hour I received a phone call from a supervisor. We had a nice chat. At the start of Covid they offered early retirement packages and a lot of senior agents took those, leaving them really short staffed. They've been trying to hire as many people as they can, but it takes months of training until someone knows enough to move to the medallion lines, especially for those who handle platinum, diamond and 360. They hesitate to move anyone to those lines until they are sure the people are up to it... She said they are all working lots of overtime and handling phone and e-mail, but they are desperately short handed and they know it. They are also very aware of the black eye its giving them on social media and with their customers.

Sound like it will be many more months until things return to an acceptable level.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Maybe they should find a way to entice back those who took early retirement rather than trying to train a completely new staff
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.