Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Won't MSP once again be the only DL hub to have no PP lounge?
DTW doesn't have one, and all of the movement at LAX has significantly changed the priority pass situation there.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This sucks about them leaving PP. I have a three hour layover on June 29 at MSP and part of the reason I was ok with that long of a layover was so I could use the escape lounge.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This sucks about them leaving PP. I have a three hour layover on June 29 at MSP and part of the reason I was ok with that long of a layover was so I could use the escape lounge.
The two DL SCs at MSP aren't bad, although they're very different in style.

Since the renovations, there's now a big buffet area in the F/G lounge, although it's not very well designed in terms of people being able to get into the buffet foods easily. I just takes one idiot standing there talking on a cell phone to block people from being able to get food and utensils.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The two DL SCs at MSP aren't bad, although they're very different in style.

Since the renovations, there's now a big buffet area in the F/G lounge, although it's not very well designed in terms of people being able to get into the buffet foods easily. I just takes one idiot standing there talking on a cell phone to block people from being able to get food and utensils.
I land at MSP at 6:48 PM and leave for LHR at 10 p.m. For a three hour layover is it worth it to pay the fee to the Escape Lounge or should I just stick with the SC? In all the years I've flown Delta and Northwest this will be my first time at MSP (there was availability to use a GU connecting through MSP but would have to waitlist on the direct DTW/MSP and I didn't want to risk not clearing). I know there is a train there as well that goes into the city but not sure if it's worth leaving the airport for a three hour layover and I'm going to have luggage to deal with since I'm carrying on
Old May 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I land at MSP at 6:48 PM and leave for LHR at 10 p.m. For a three hour layover is it worth it to pay the fee to the Escape Lounge or should I just stick with the SC? In all the years I've flown Delta and Northwest this will be my first time at MSP (there was availability to use a GU connecting through MSP but would have to waitlist on the direct DTW/MSP and I didn't want to risk not clearing). I know there is a train there as well that goes into the city but not sure if it's worth leaving the airport for a three hour layover and I'm going to have luggage to deal with since I'm carrying on
Three hours is cutting it close to leave the airport and go into the city, especially if you are using the light rail, which is a bit of a trek from the terminal. MSP is well endowed with restaurants, including some that are branches of local places, not national chains. You could have a real dinner in the airport before your flight.

Last edited by CarmenOM; May 22, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old May 22, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Three hours is cutting it close to leave the airport and go into the city, especially if you are using the light rail, which is a bit of a trek from the terminal. MSP is well endowed with restaurants, including some that are branches of local places, not national chains. You could have a real dinner in the airport before your flight.
Thanks! I know I won't have time enough to eat dinner before my DTW/MSP flight and wasn't sure what restaurants they had there. Hopefully between a nice dinner and a few bailey's after at the SC it will be enough to knock me out for my flight
Old May 22, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think there's enough time to go downtown. The Mall of America is closer, and also on the light rail line (end stop in the opposite direction), but you wouldn't have a lot of time to explore or eat there.

Personally, if the choice is paying for the Escape lounge versus using the DL SCs for free, I'd opt for the SCs. F/G is likely to have more food (although the C lounge will have some) and will be much closer to the gate for the LHR flight. I'd suggest starting in C for a drink and a snack and then moving to F/G when you get bored.

Also, you'll get a good dinner in D1 served shortly after takeoff (IME you can count on having food in front of you by thirty minutes after wheels up), so I wouldn't try to have dinner in the airport beyond grazing a bit in the SCs.

BTW, my routine for the MSP-LHR flight is to tell FAs not to wake me for breakfast, although if I'm awake then, I'll have coffee and some pastry/fruit if it looks good. Upon arrival I go to the arrival lounge to shower and have a proper breakfast before taking the tube to the city. With any luck, by then I'll be able to get into my hotel room.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think there's enough time to go downtown. The Mall of America is closer, and also on the light rail line (end stop in the opposite direction), but you wouldn't have a lot of time to explore or eat there.

Personally, if the choice is paying for the Escape lounge versus using the DL SCs for free, I'd opt for the SCs. F/G is likely to have more food (although the C lounge will have some) and will be much closer to the gate for the LHR flight. I'd suggest starting in C for a drink and a snack and then moving to F/G when you get bored.

Also, you'll get a good dinner in D1 served shortly after takeoff (IME you can count on having food in front of you by thirty minutes after wheels up), so I wouldn't try to have dinner in the airport beyond grazing a bit in the SCs.

BTW, my routine for the MSP-LHR flight is to tell FAs not to wake me for breakfast, although if I'm awake then, I'll have coffee and some pastry/fruit if it looks good. Upon arrival I go to the arrival lounge to shower and have a proper breakfast before taking the tube to the city. With any luck, by then I'll be able to get into my hotel room.
Thanks! I'll just stay at the Airport. I was thinking of skipping the dinner service and just sleeping through the flight but it might make more sense to have dinner and skip breakfast since I'll be landing noonish and I can just show at the arrivals hall and head into the city for a better lunch.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
My goodness. I visited this lounge last Sunday around 6:00pm and it was CROOOOOWDED.

To provide a frame of reference, most of last year I had my "Sunday dinner" at the Escape lounge in MSP every week. Generally much better food options, and nearly empty every time I visited. Friendly staff, tranquil environment, and lots of F&B options. Much, much better than the DL SCs.

This time, however, the lounge was PACKED, and the staff could not keep up. Dirty plates, bowls, cups, glasses, silverware, you name it, everywhere. No plates for food (not like there was any anyways). At one point the staff brought out 12 sliders and one gentleman leapt up and procured not one, not two, not five, but SIX sliders from the tray. I was sort of astonished. There were no food/beverage items at all -- no waters, no cups for coffee/tea, etc. etc.

I was talking to the staff and they mentioned the huge influx of new Chase Sapphire Reserve customers with their Priority Passes has decimated the lounge and the current CSR holders are not exactly the demographics they are trying to target (they are trying to market themselves as a quiet "business" lounge), thus the limitation to Amex Plat cardholders only moving forward. They eliminated the "a la carte" food options that existed last year since they couldn't keep up. Luckily enough I have both and we'll see if the lounge returns to its original state after it leaves PP.

The staff are excited for the Escape MSP to leave PP... Perhaps it's a blunder on Chase's marketing but most guests seemed confused about needing a PP to access the lounge, (leading to a lot of access denials, frustration, calling Chase, etc. etc.) which the staff obviously have no control over. They also mentioned they did not have this problem with PP in the past (since Amex Plat also issues it), but the issues began happening when CSR was launched. Interesting perspective.

I think in general (given that PP select now is available with almost every "premium" credit card), my hypothesis is we will see PP lounges either leaving the program or cutting back on amenities in order to support the influx of tons of new PP holders.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by bj27
My goodness. I visited this lounge last Sunday around 6:00pm and it was CROOOOOWDED.

To provide a frame of reference, most of last year I had my "Sunday dinner" at the Escape lounge in MSP every week. Generally much better food options, and nearly empty every time I visited. Friendly staff, tranquil environment, and lots of F&B options. Much, much better than the DL SCs.

This time, however, the lounge was PACKED, and the staff could not keep up. Dirty plates, bowls, cups, glasses, silverware, you name it, everywhere. No plates for food (not like there was any anyways). At one point the staff brought out 12 sliders and one gentleman leapt up and procured not one, not two, not five, but SIX sliders from the tray. I was sort of astonished. There were no food/beverage items at all -- no waters, no cups for coffee/tea, etc. etc.

I was talking to the staff and they mentioned the huge influx of new Chase Sapphire Reserve customers with their Priority Passes has decimated the lounge and the current CSR holders are not exactly the demographics they are trying to target (they are trying to market themselves as a quiet "business" lounge), thus the limitation to Amex Plat cardholders only moving forward. They eliminated the "a la carte" food options that existed last year since they couldn't keep up. Luckily enough I have both and we'll see if the lounge returns to its original state after it leaves PP.

The staff are excited for the Escape MSP to leave PP... Perhaps it's a blunder on Chase's marketing but most guests seemed confused about needing a PP to access the lounge, (leading to a lot of access denials, frustration, calling Chase, etc. etc.) which the staff obviously have no control over. They also mentioned they did not have this problem with PP in the past (since Amex Plat also issues it), but the issues began happening when CSR was launched. Interesting perspective.

I think in general (given that PP select now is available with almost every "premium" credit card), my hypothesis is we will see PP lounges either leaving the program or cutting back on amenities in order to support the influx of tons of new PP holders.
I noticed a clear downturn when I was there earlier in June. Went on a Tuesday, no one working the entrance, had to go hunt for someone to check us in.

No more Perrier small bottles available, bartender would be absent for periods of time to refill food or check people in. Maybe because it was a Tuesday, but for trying to sell the "premium experience" it was lacking. Hopefully this improves when leaving PP.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
I noticed a clear downturn when I was there earlier in June. Went on a Tuesday, no one working the entrance, had to go hunt for someone to check us in.

No more Perrier small bottles available, bartender would be absent for periods of time to refill food or check people in. Maybe because it was a Tuesday, but for trying to sell the "premium experience" it was lacking. Hopefully this improves when leaving PP.
Yes.. I noticed that they had switched the Fiji to Dasani and no Perrier was available... though there was not even any water available.

Everything was empty except for a forlorn cold case of wilted lettuce. It was quite sad and I didn't know you could feel a tinge of emotion deep down about an airport lounge.... But I did feel bad for the staff running around.

One gal who was trying to clean tables said to me: "I don't even work here.... I work downstairs at another vendor but they need so much help in here."

It was quite interesting to see the new crowd at the bar -- much more rowdy, trying to get drunk-type (aka ordering shots) rather than the quiet, frequent business-traveler who was just grabbing a beer that I observed last year.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sucks they no longer accept PP.

So now the only way to get in is to pay per visit? Seeing Delta has two skyclubs there and international SP and J passengers get free skyclub access I'm surprised they get a lot of paid business.

Is it that much nicer than the SC that it is worth paying to get into?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:25 pm

So now the only way to get in is to pay per visit? Seeing Delta has two skyclubs there and international SP and J passengers get free skyclub access I'm surprised they get a lot of paid business.

I actually think that them no longer accepting PP is an upside (I say this as a biased Amex Plat cardholder) given that they will actually be able to stay on top of their offerings.

Having all the CSR PP select cardholders has flooded their lounge and they can't keep up -- to the point where I left and went to the DL SC.

I definitely wouldn't fork over the $45 for the Escape lounge (or whatever they are charging), but when talking to the check-in agent last year they have some private contracts.

I'm curious if Amex actually pays them or how it works though, because when I entered via Amex Plat the agent didn't even scan my card--just looked at it and moved to the next person. I will say it was crazy busy and he was a little overwhelmed so might not have followed SOP.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:32 pm

Unless you have a Amex Plat. Then it's card + same day boarding pass. +2 Guests for free.

Plat card holders on the DL lounge do not get guests for free.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bj27
I actually think that them no longer accepting PP is an upside (I say this as a biased Amex Plat cardholder) given that they will actually be able to stay on top of their offerings.

Having all the CSR PP select cardholders has flooded their lounge and they can't keep up -- to the point where I left and went to the DL SC.

I definitely wouldn't fork over the $45 for the Escape lounge (or whatever they are charging), but when talking to the check-in agent last year they have some private contracts.

I'm curious if Amex actually pays them or how it works though, because when I entered via Amex Plat the agent didn't even scan my card--just looked at it and moved to the next person. I will say it was crazy busy and he was a little overwhelmed so might not have followed SOP.
Weird they would have an agreement with Am Ex Plat since that card comes with a PP card.

As a Delta SC member I understand the overcrowding concerns. Once the Skyclubs stopped allowing Am Ex card holders to bring in guests and change to the Exec option for SC members the congestion wasn't nearly as bad, they brought back drinkable alcohol and the food offerings have really improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.