Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Waking to my AA gate today at OAK I noticed this lounge. Is this the same as MSP? Looks like it's $40 for a day pass.
I forget the exact number as I wasn't going to pay for a short visit before a FC dinner flight, but the Escape lounge at BDL was more expensive than this about a month ago. I think they said $45 but it might have been $50. No PP or AmEx accepted for access then.

Their BWI outpost was closed last last year, so I can't report on that one.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I forget the exact number as I wasn't going to pay for a short visit before a FC dinner flight, but the Escape lounge at BDL was more expensive than this about a month ago. I think they said $45 but it might have been $50. No PP or AmEx accepted for access then.

I don't believe BWI ever had an Escape lounge. Perhaps you are confusing this with the Airspace lounge, which did in fact close last year.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
I don't believe BWI ever had an Escape lounge. Perhaps you are confusing this with the Airspace lounge, which did in fact close last year.
... but re-opened as a "The Club" lounge in May.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-a...l#post28313854
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
... but re-opened as a "The Club" lounge in May.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-a...l#post28313854
Nice! I guess I might have to give BWI a look again. D was always so dingy and quiet, especially after AirTran moved out.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

It was pretty busy. With DY operating at the gates next to it I see it making sense on the long hauls to CPH and ARN to fill up before you get into a seat with 15" seat pitch LOL
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm at the Escape Lounge now and it's at maybe 35-40% occupancy. Far, far more tranquil than any of my recent visits here. The food spread also looks robust. The change sucks for all the CSR folks, but this definitely feels more like a haven now. If the pendulum swings too far and there aren't enough paid or AmEx entries, I wonder if they'll have to resort to discounting again, Groupons, etc.
I'm guessing this is as good as it will get and we'll see a steady increase as more AXP holders migrate over-- we always had less reason to seek Escape given the DL SCs vs that of the CSR holder who had to seek a lounge or get none at all.

That being said, even after the AXP base fully wakes up to the presence of this lounge and its better views/better F&B/less-crowding, Im guessing even then it will likely never be nearly as crowded as it become when CSR ramped-up (thankfully).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I'm guessing this is as good as it will get and we'll see a steady increase as more AXP holders migrate over-- we always had less reason to seek Escape given the DL SCs vs that of the CSR holder who had to seek a lounge or get none at all.

That being said, even after the AXP base fully wakes up to the presence of this lounge and its better views/better F&B/less-crowding, Im guessing even then it will likely never be nearly as crowded as it become when CSR ramped-up (thankfully).
I agree -- and again I would say I don't actually think the CSR holders are missing out on too much because the state of affairs at the Escape lounge was meager as of late.

I don't know how many Amex Plat cardholders fly through MSP but all last year the lounge was not crowded at all (most of the time).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bj27
I agree -- and again I would say I don't actually think the CSR holders are missing out on too much because the state of affairs at the Escape lounge was meager as of late.

I don't know how many Amex Plat cardholders fly through MSP but all last year the lounge was not crowded at all (most of the time).
I often fly during off-peak times, and I've been the only person in that lounge sometimes. The employees always took good care of me.

I'm disappointed to see that the on-demand menu is gone. I've had several good and reasonably-priced breakfasts there.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bj27

Back in the PMNW days, before we had lounge access via the Reserve card (as printed on the boarding pass to make it easy) and before DMs got free SC memberships, I saw lots of people entering WorldClubs with the AmEx Platinum card.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by WWads
I often fly during off-peak times, and I've been the only person in that lounge sometimes. The employees always took good care of me.

I'm disappointed to see that the on-demand menu is gone. I've had several good and reasonably-priced breakfasts there.
Same here. Do we know where the on-demand options have gone? not that I ever ordered them, but the options did look surprisingly nice.

IIRC everything was provided by HMS Host, as told to me by an employee.

Back in the PMNW days, before we had lounge access via the Reserve card (as printed on the boarding pass to make it easy) and before DMs got free SC memberships, I saw lots of people entering WorldClubs with the AmEx Platinum card.
Good ol NW days!!

Nothing like the good ol' DL C Skyclub to remind you of NWA
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:21 am

Currently at the MSP Escape lounge.

So much quieter than it used to be. It's actually usable again. Good move excluding the CSR crowd.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund

So much quieter than it used to be. It's actually usable again. Good move excluding the CSR crowd.
Are the beverage options still the same? I seem to remember getting craft beer gratis when it first opened, but when the CSR crowd closed in it switched to domestic.

Similarly on the Dasani vs Fiji.

TIA.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Are the beverage options still the same? I seem to remember getting craft beer gratis when it first opened, but when the CSR crowd closed in it switched to domestic.

Similarly on the Dasani vs Fiji.

TIA.
It can't be as bad as the changes Delta made in the Skyclub a few years ago when they eliminated the free Bailey's and replaced Sky Vodka and Tanq Gin with Gordons At least that didn't last long
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I'm sure it helps. The United clubs are a lot nicer now that they don't allow PP passholders (and I have a PP) or American Express Plat swipes.

I wish the Skyclub's would make a similar move with the credit card crowd as well like American and United did, or at least at peak times.

What they should have tried was eliminated guesting and allowed only the card holder to enter for free and that would cut down on the overcrowding. Once the Skyclubs stopped allowing Am Ex cardholders to bring in guests the crowding wasn't as bad. Overcrowding is still an issue sometimes at peak times but not nearly as bad as what it was and the beverage and food selection has improved.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:05 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It can't be as bad as the changes Delta made in the Skyclub a few years ago when they eliminated the free Bailey's and replaced Sky Vodka and Tanq Gin with Gordons At least that didn't last long
Luxury Bar Sky Clubs now have complimentary Stolichnaya, which is excellent ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.