Wiki Posts
Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Problem is Escape and other PP lounges can't provide flight assistance like the SKyclub for Delta flights. I don't mind using the Club or United lounges at LAS but it really sucks when there is an irops situation. Even though the diamond desk is usually great, if it's an IT meltdown or severe weather situation effecting a lot of the country the wait times can still be long. The skyclub agents have been great about getting me on the best alternative flights and a lot of times they will confirm a diamond in first on the new flight and code the reissue as a F or Y class so we get top priority if the flight cancels and will also be on the top of the upgrade list. I've also had flights that were the last one of the day severely delayed and the skyclub will protect me on the first flight in the morning in case that flight cancels and keep my original seat and I haven't had much luck with the diamond desk allowing me to do that.
I agree with your point here. I think if it was the perfect storm and I was at MSP in the Escape lounge when IRROPs happened, I'd either call up the DM line, and if there was a wait, mosey on over to the DL SC while on hold.

The DM line and SC agents have always been good about rebooking me (with the exception of the DTW main agents.... useless IME).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bj27
I agree with your point here. I think if it was the perfect storm and I was at MSP in the Escape lounge when IRROPs happened, I'd either call up the DM line, and if there was a wait, mosey on over to the DL SC while on hold.

The DM line and SC agents have always been good about rebooking me (with the exception of the DTW main agents.... useless IME).
I've always had great luck with the SC agents at DTW and they have gone out of their way several times for me. Last time I needed assistance was a couple weeks ago when there was a delay at EWR and the agent rebooked my non-status friend and I who were upgraded at the window into an LGA flight and kept our upgrades. I've also flown with non-status friends to Chicago or NYC and the diamond desk had told me that non diamonds couldn't coterminal and it is never an issue getting the DTW SC to do it. Whenever I've been concerned about a severly delayed flight cancelling they will put me on the next flight while protecting my seat on my ticketed flight in case that flight goes out earlier (I can never get the diamond desk to protect me on a second flight).

DTW is also great about keeping the main SC open late when there are flight delays. When I flew out of EWR earlier this year my flight was delayed by almost four hours and they didn't keep their SC open. The only SC I've really had bad luck with flight assistance at is FLL and BNA. The agent at FLL was clueless that as a diamond I could SDC from a FLL flight to Miami for free and insisted I could only do it from FLL
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Delta Diamond
PLEASE tell me one of those Hiltons was the LAX Hilton Giving all gold's access and people cleaning out the appetizers at 10 past when the lounge opens for the night sounds just like the LAX Hilton. Last time I stayed at the LAX Hilton I complained about the lounge and they told me the plan was for gold's to soon start getting a voucher for a coffee and pastry and the lounge was going to be limited to diamonds and those on the exec level and it would be great if they finally are following through on that promise.

BTW if the lounge is so crowded you can't find a place to sit as a diamond and you are a diamond, complain to the manager on duty. I've had great luck in getting vouchers for a hot breakfast in the restaurant, doesn't do any good at happy hour but it is nice to have a decent breakfast in a less stressful environment. Also complain to management and leave a bad review on TA complaining in those situations, the Palmer House in Chicago and Amsterdam Doubletree finally stopped allowing gold's access after a lot of complaints and the lounges are a lot more relaxed. Like with Chase bringing in a lot of PP holders with the CSR card, Hilton is flooding the program with golds with their credit card giving gold access and all the easy status matches.
One property was the Palmer House in chicago and the other was the Seattle Hilton. Enforcing the policy of lounge entrance to only diamonds and exec floor guests has improved the experience greatly. Hilton has way too many golds due to their credit cards to give lounges access to golds.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bj27

Skyclub agents have always been better about accommodating me than the diamond desk IME. Especially with upgrading me in the new flights. The skyclub will frequently upgrade me on the new flight or at least code the new flight as y so I go to the top of the upgrade list

At dtw yesterday my wife and I were flying to lga and die there was a ground hold and we wanted to get out asap in case the bad weather came. The skyclub agent not only put us on the earlier ewr flight she kept our upgrades and we received the last two first class seats on that flight. I'm sure the Platinums that were 3 and 4 on the list that we bumped weren't as happy
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Shouldn't a DM always get the upgrade before a PM? [Yeah, I know it depends on whether RUCs are being used, etc.]
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't a DM always get the upgrade before a PM? [Yeah, I know it depends on whether RUCs are being used, etc.]
I doubt a PM would be burning an RUC on a DTW/LGA flight (unless they were connecting as part of a longer trip).

I have been in situations where my flight was messed up and the Skyclub has put me in first class on a co-terminal flight or another flight and had the agent directly book me into first and I'm sure at t-60 if there were 3 seats available number 3 on the list was counting on the upgrade and wasn't happy when the seat disappeared.

I've lost upgrades to gold's before when I've done a SDS. That is one huge cut Delta made to our benefits was when they made changes to the SDC policy. Fortunately some GA's will clear a diamond flying standby into Y and put them on the upgrade list before clearing that
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I doubt a PM would be burning an RUC on a DTW/LGA flight (unless they were connecting as part of a longer trip).

I have been in situations where my flight was messed up and the Skyclub has put me in first class on a co-terminal flight or another flight and had the agent directly book me into first and I'm sure at t-60 if there were 3 seats available number 3 on the list was counting on the upgrade and wasn't happy when the seat disappeared.

I've lost upgrades to gold's before when I've done a SDS. That is one huge cut Delta made to our benefits was when they made changes to the SDC policy. Fortunately some GA's will clear a diamond flying standby into Y and put them on the upgrade list before clearing that
It could be a RUC (or even GUC, but PMs can't select them) that's about to expire.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be a RUC (or even GUC, but PMs can't select them) that's about to expire.
Good point. And now that you mention it a couple years ago I did use an RU that was going to expire soon on a NYC/DTW flight (the only reasonably priced flight was out of EWR early in the morning and I wanted on the last JFK/DTW flight of the day which was triple the price). I know there's no guarantee that I'd be able to SDC but fortunately I was able to get on the flight I wanted and I figured I'd be able to get on at least one of the later LGA or JFK flights home.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLICERSZEBRA
One property was the Palmer House in chicago and the other was the Seattle Hilton. Enforcing the policy of lounge entrance to only diamonds and exec floor guests has improved the experience greatly. Hilton has way too many golds due to their credit cards to give lounges access to golds.
Palmer house hasn't allowed golds for a couple years. When they did the last lounge renovation and reopened the lounge they changed the policy to Golds not being giving lounge access (Unless on the 22nd or 23rd floors). That was a change they needed to make years ago, like you said way too many golds with the credit card. I had issues with the lounge being packed when I was there new years and they gave vouchers for full breakfast buffet to diamonds who complained.

Great news about the Seattle Hilton. Last time I was in SEA I stayed at the Hyatt a couple blocks away due to the lounge and wanting a four pm checkout. That's a nice lounge, one of the few US ones that gives free wine.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:35 pm

At one time it was possible for a diamond to lose an upgrade to a silver. If the silver was on an earlier flight that went into irops or they took an IMDb voucher sometimes the agent will decide the ticket as a full y. At one time that would hve trumped any diamonds in the upgrade list unless they were also on a y fare. It's my understanding delta but a stop to that nonsense recently and the y fare only trumps others in your same elite level and. It higher tier elites
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I just updated my Priority Pass lounge data and I noticed that they've "replaced" our lost Escape Lounge access with access to the PGA Lounge, including a $15 F&B credit. So that's nice — maybe even nicer than what we had. One downside: At least 70 percent of my trips depart between 6:45a and 7:15a, and the PGA lounge doesn't open until 7.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I just updated my Priority Pass lounge data and I noticed that they've "replaced" our lost Escape Lounge access with access to the PGA Lounge, including a $15 F&B credit. So that's nice — maybe even nicer than what we had. One downside: At least 70 percent of my trips depart between 6:45a and 7:15a, and the PGA lounge doesn't open until 7.
Strange. I'll have to try it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I saw the same update and tried it out this weekend. Seating area is smaller than Escape lounge or SC. If you are into golf, you can use the $15 toward a simulator or the putting area. Food prices were around $8-$15 for breakfast and lunch for diner-style food and shakes. Gratuity is not included with the voucher. I used my credit at the bar and was satisfied with the selection and service.

Note that you need to enter the lounge by by taking the stairs/elevator by Ike's (can't enter near the Escape Lounge entrance on the mezzanine).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:35 pm

ugh, I just spent 4 hours on a MSP layover..Didn't even think to check this thread or the website to see the PGA lounge is on there now..

oh well, I found a quiet seating area up on the 2nd floor past the escape lounge, down the hallway that looks like all offices, it opens up above the main floor (kind of looks over the coal fire pizza place), so it's not really quiet, but fairly comfy chairs/ottomans and nobody there for the most part. They even had sleeping mats for I guess when things go south during the winter and flights get cancelled.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd rather have the PGA credit than the Escape lounge. Wish they would have had it a few weeks ago when I had a 3 hour layover at MSP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.