Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SPLICERSZEBRA
The quality of the MSP Escape lounge has gone downhill fast and not sure if it's due to the Priority Pass entries or not. I haven't been in the lounge since they made the change. I agree with you about the congestion at some Skyclubs and Delta needs to address that issue.

I would love to see Delta have clubs like the Virgin and Quantas international lounges but it will never happen.

Regarding diamond memberships, I saw a cut in that benefit when they introduced the exectuive membership. Seeing I have a Delta Reserve card and an American Express Platinum card for entry I was going to select an executive membership for my 2018 third choice. The problem is as soon as I executed it the clock starts ticking on my Global Upgrades and I may be better off just paying the extra $150 to get my wife a Delta Reserve card and taking the $200 Delta voucher.

+1 on the upgrading being worth more than the Skyclub entry. Whilst my wife wasn't happy with the changes in Skyclub membership she was very happy when Delta made the companion changes. A couple we are friends with (he is also diamond and both our wives are Gold due to the gifting benefit) and my wife and I travel to Vegas a few times a year. My friend and I would always get upgraded on MSP/LAS and they would end up in Comfort Plus (actually my friend and I would, we had to give them our upgrades to stay out of the dog house LOL) but we have flown two times since the change was made to Vegas and both times all four of us were upgraded and my wife and I were upgraded together for MSP/LAX and last month for MSP/SFO both ways which never happened before so Delta is definitely making some improvements to the diamond benefits, you have to take the good with the bad.
American has a flagship lounge in a couple of their bigger cities that are reserved for international flyers in J and EP's. Not sure if they compare to the Virgin lounges but I'm told they are a lot nicer than the regular lounge and I think United has a couple as well.

I agree about the companion upgrades being a HUGE benefit and helps to make up for some of the cuts Delta has made. I've flown with companions to LAX and SFO and LAS and both of us have cleared with the new policy (they are non-status) and would have never cleared those routes before and a lot of times we have cleared at the window. I'd rather they ride in first class on a long flight than get free skyclub access.

Same with the free Clear membership. They have made two true enhancements to the medallion program this year with the free clear and bumping up companions on the upgrade list. I don't think anyone can argue that those are both valuable benefits.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Regarding diamond memberships, I saw a cut in that benefit when they introduced the exectuive membership. Seeing I have a Delta Reserve card and an American Express Platinum card for entry I was going to select an executive membership for my 2018 third choice. The problem is as soon as I executed it the clock starts ticking on my Global Upgrades and I may be better off just paying the extra $150 to get my wife a Delta Reserve card and taking the $200 Delta voucher.
Choice benefits should now be able to be elected independently. i.e. you can choose the three benefits at different times.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
UA used to allow PP swipes in their lounges until a couple years ago (which is included with an Am Ex Plat card) and I don't recall any of their frequent flyers saying they were moving over to Delta.
Didn't UA distinguish Credit Card PP vs. purchased PP? I seem to recall that a paid PP membership got access to UA lounges but a CC PP did not.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

UA used to allow PP swipes in their lounges until a couple years ago (which is included with an Am Ex Plat card) and I don't recall any of their frequent flyers saying they were moving over to Delta. I would think a GM or PM would have less incentive to switch to AA since they would have to go with the stickers to get upgraded and those only occur at the gate. American only does complimentary upgrades for EP where Delta does it for all levels and doesn't make them wait until the gate and use stickers. I'd think an upgrade would be a bigger value than Skyclub access. I know if I would get more SWU's like American's EP's do I'd take it in a heartbeat over a skyclub membership and most diamonds would. I'd gladly pay for a skyclub member (which I did before I was diamond) like AA EP's do if Delta would duplicate AA's program of giving out more SWU's and giving free upgrades on the JFK to LAX and SFO routes.
From when I got my AXP in 2013, PP was NOT accepted at UA lounges, as the T&C specifically precluded PP that was issued by a financial institution.

AA give Platinum Pro(75K) free auto requested upgrades on all domestic flights.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Stopped in here yesterday on my way back to DFW on AA. (Amex PLT access)

MUCH better than when I was there in April when it was still a PP lounge. What a zoo back then!

My child and I were the only ones in there, apart from 2 other people. (appx 1pm)

There was actually food on the buffet and it was a true haven.

3 separate people tried coming in with PP cards and were denied. I really can see why they made this change now. ^
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econometrics
Stopped in here yesterday on my way back to DFW on AA. (Amex PLT access)

MUCH better than when I was there in April when it was still a PP lounge. What a zoo back then!

My child and I were the only ones in there, apart from 2 other people. (appx 1pm)

There was actually food on the buffet and it was a true haven.

3 separate people tried coming in with PP cards and were denied. I really can see why they made this change now. ^
I hope that Amex is paying them enough to stay afloat. Downside of axing PP is vastly reduced revenue.

Even if I don't have a long enough layover to stay, I'll still probably stop by every time to support them (assuming they get paid by the swipe).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by WWads
I hope that Amex is paying them enough to stay afloat. Downside of axing PP is vastly reduced revenue.

Even if I don't have a long enough layover to stay, I'll still probably stop by every time to support them (assuming they get paid by the swipe).
Yes - I'm axing PP is vastly reducing revenue but I don't know if they actually needed that extra revenue and maybe the costs outweighed the extra revenue? We'll never know for sure unless we go work for Escape
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by bj27
Yes - I'm axing PP is vastly reducing revenue but I don't know if they actually needed that extra revenue and maybe the costs outweighed the extra revenue? We'll never know for sure unless we go work for Escape
I was wondering the same thing when the skyclub made the major cutbacks a couple years ago and stopped allowing diamonds and am ex cardholders to bring in any guests. Turned out being a great nice IMO. The skyclub are a lot less congested (I hate to imagine what msp g would have been like yesterday without. those changes) and food quality increased vastly. Also leans for diamonds like me who have a lifetime skyclub membership or another means to enter the club we now get another choice gift yearly.

I went to msp g yesterday and it was literally SRO and the escape lounge was he opposite. Only another couple and a solo traveler. Hope it stays that way

Very nice welcome and also had a nice lounge welcome at two of the hiltons I stay at. Both of those hotels had lounges that were Zoos and they used to give all golds access. Now they stop allowing golds unless in the exec level and the lounge quality has really improved. Plenty of seating and you don't have all these people cleaning go it the appetizers ten minutes after happy hour starts.

B
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:09 pm

I doubt they get paid per swipe. They told me I only need to show them the card. No swiping.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Escape has been my escape from the MSP SCs during bad weather IROPs and especially DL IT meltdowns. These changes should make it much better than it's been recently, but it's sad that DL can't provide an adequate lounge at one of its hu7bs.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Escape has been my escape from the MSP SCs during bad weather IROPs and especially DL IT meltdowns. These changes should make it much better than it's been recently, but it's sad that DL can't provide an adequate lounge at one of its hu7bs.
The MSP SC situation is truly pathetic. At least SLC is getting a new terminal. MSP? Nothing.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The MSP SC situation is truly pathetic. At least SLC is getting a new terminal. MSP? Nothing.
We're getting a new hotel on airport property but not exactly in the terminal like at DTW. Of course, it has nothing to do with DL. It will be an IC and DL seems to send its crew (and presumably stranded passengers, but I know that some "lucky" stranded customers have been sent to the HR recently too) to the airport Marriott across from the MOA.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've flown Delta/NW for years and last week was the first time I'd even been to MSP (in order to have confirmed space with a GU to London I had to connect in MSP).

I used the C Skyclub upon landing and there were literally people standing and I was lucky enough to get one of the desk spaces because someone was just leaving as I walked over. They were out of Bailey's and one of the soups. I asked the agent if the G club was better and said it was even more crowded (this was around 7) and I should just stay there and wait till around 8:30 to head over to G. I ended up leaving my stuff in C and walking around the shopping area and airport and I thought the terminal was a lot nicer than DTW (where all my flights originate). Lots of shopping and very walkable and I like they have the golf place and the treadmills. I would have changed into work out clothes and jumped on the treadmill for 45 minutes if they would have had showers. I'm surprised they don't have showers seeing it's a hub with international flights.

After walking around and making a stop at the DQ in the concourse the crowds had died down at the C skyclub and I walked over to G and they had better food offerings and no issue finding a seat.

They need to increase the size of the skyclubs at MSP and/or limit access when the clubs are really packed like the boardrooms do.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is Escape and other PP lounges can't provide flight assistance like the SKyclub for Delta flights. I don't mind using the Club or United lounges at LAS but it really sucks when there is an irops situation. Even though the diamond desk is usually great, if it's an IT meltdown or severe weather situation effecting a lot of the country the wait times can still be long. The skyclub agents have been great about getting me on the best alternative flights and a lot of times they will confirm a diamond in first on the new flight and code the reissue as a F or Y class so we get top priority if the flight cancels and will also be on the top of the upgrade list. I've also had flights that were the last one of the day severely delayed and the skyclub will protect me on the first flight in the morning in case that flight cancels and keep my original seat and I haven't had much luck with the diamond desk allowing me to do that.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering the same thing when the skyclub made the major cutbacks a couple years ago and stopped allowing diamonds and am ex cardholders to bring in any guests. Turned out being a great nice IMO. The skyclub are a lot less congested (I hate to imagine what msp g would have been like yesterday without. those changes) and food quality increased vastly. Also leans for diamonds like me who have a lifetime skyclub membership or another means to enter the club we now get another choice gift yearly.

I went to msp g yesterday and it was literally SRO and the escape lounge was he opposite. Only another couple and a solo traveler. Hope it stays that way

Very nice welcome and also had a nice lounge welcome at two of the hiltons I stay at. Both of those hotels had lounges that were Zoos and they used to give all golds access. Now they stop allowing golds unless in the exec level and the lounge quality has really improved. Plenty of seating and you don't have all these people cleaning go it the appetizers ten minutes after happy hour starts.

B
PLEASE tell me one of those Hiltons was the LAX Hilton Giving all gold's access and people cleaning out the appetizers at 10 past when the lounge opens for the night sounds just like the LAX Hilton. Last time I stayed at the LAX Hilton I complained about the lounge and they told me the plan was for gold's to soon start getting a voucher for a coffee and pastry and the lounge was going to be limited to diamonds and those on the exec level and it would be great if they finally are following through on that promise.

BTW if the lounge is so crowded you can't find a place to sit as a diamond and you are a diamond, complain to the manager on duty. I've had great luck in getting vouchers for a hot breakfast in the restaurant, doesn't do any good at happy hour but it is nice to have a decent breakfast in a less stressful environment. Also complain to management and leave a bad review on TA complaining in those situations, the Palmer House in Chicago and Amsterdam Doubletree finally stopped allowing gold's access after a lot of complaints and the lounges are a lot more relaxed. Like with Chase bringing in a lot of PP holders with the CSR card, Hilton is flooding the program with golds with their credit card giving gold access and all the easy status matches.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're getting a new hotel on airport property but not exactly in the terminal like at DTW. Of course, it has nothing to do with DL. It will be an IC and DL seems to send its crew (and presumably stranded passengers, but I know that some "lucky" stranded customers have been sent to the HR recently too) to the airport Marriott across from the MOA.
I've never had Delta send me to the Westin during an IROPs situation in Detroit. Last couple times they've sent me to the Holiday Inn Express.

Back in the NW days when they had the old terminal they did put me up at the adjacent Marriott a couple times and that was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.