Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by C W
Luxury Bar Sky Clubs now have complimentary Stolichnaya, which is excellent ^
I like the Stoli's better than I did Skyy. The Gordon's was downright nasty and they should have been embarrassed to have had that in an airport lounge. I like they serve Grey Goose in D1!!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:21 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I like the Stoli's better than I did Skyy. The Gordon's was downright nasty and they should have been embarrassed to have had that in an airport lounge. I like they serve Grey Goose in D1!!
I'll actually take Stoli over Goose, especially in savory drinks. But I certainly don't mind it being offered in D1
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by C W
I'll actually take Stoli over Goose, especially in savory drinks. But I certainly don't mind it being offered in D1
Speaking of vodka, I wish they would bring back the Sweet Tea Vodka they had on Delta flights last summer. That was really good
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Slightly OT but PP seems to be trying to fight back a bit in a creative way:

I just got an email from PP announcing two two benefits, both labeled as featured lounge alternatives that involve your PP card giving you a credit at airport F&B outlets:

Distillery at PDX. US$28 credit.

Seven SYD restaurants AUS$36 credit.

Maybe they're going to emphasize arrangements like this in place of lounges in the future. It's a creative solution for airports with no space for additional lounges or where the existing lounges refuse to sign up with PP.

Anyone want to speculate on whether PP will try to fix up something similar at MSP to make up for the exit of the Escape Lounge from PP? [Before they were renovated out of their lease, I would have lobbied for Surdyk's cafe and wine bar. I guess the good news is that at least the restaurant across the concourse is somewhat similar and now seems to own the former Surdyk's sidewalk cafe seating area.]
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Slightly OT but PP seems to be trying to fight back a bit in a creative way:

I just got an email from PP announcing two two benefits, both labeled as featured lounge alternatives that involve your PP card giving you a credit at airport F&B outlets:

Distillery at PDX. US$28 credit.

Seven SYD restaurants AUS$36 credit.

Maybe they're going to emphasize arrangements like this in place of lounges in the future. It's a creative solution for airports with no space for additional lounges or where the existing lounges refuse to sign up with PP.

Anyone want to speculate on whether PP will try to fix up something similar at MSP to make up for the exit of the Escape Lounge from PP? [Before they were renovated out of their lease, I would have lobbied for Surdyk's cafe and wine bar. I guess the good news is that at least the restaurant across the concourse is somewhat similar and now seems to own the former Surdyk's sidewalk cafe seating area.]
I wonder why I'm not getting PP emails?
Do you just show your PP to get the credit at PDX? I wonder how that works since some PP's charge even the card holder a fee to get in (like the one that comes with the Hilton Am Ex). Is it a limit of one $28 credit or is that for everyone in the group?

I'd rather have a $28 credit towards a couple good drinks than lounge access unless it's a long layover.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:09 am
C W

Do you just show your PP to get the credit at PDX? I wonder how that works since some PP's charge even the card holder a fee to get in (like the one that comes with the Hilton Am Ex). Is it a limit of one $28 credit or is that for everyone in the group?

I'd rather have a $28 credit towards a couple good drinks than lounge access unless it's a long layover.
I believe they run your card like any other PP location. This is what others have reported at their other restaurant partnerships.

It's certainly a nice option to have, especially with how poor the PDX Board Room is.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

It's $28 per person but each person counts as a lounge visit. So if your membership comes with 2 guests, you could get up to three $28 credits. If your membership charges you some fee per visit, you are still charged the visit fee as appropriate.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
I believe they run your card like any other PP location. This is what others have reported at their other restaurant partnerships.

It's certainly a nice option to have, especially with how poor the PDX Board Room is.
Makes sense, they just run the PP pass card instead of the credit and then the credit card linked would be charged for the difference.

It will be a nice option at PDX seeing some board rooms aren't permitting PP swipes anymore if they are crowded. I wish they would add it at some smaller airports like CHS that doesn't have a lounge and in the Delta terminal at PDX where there isn't a skyclub or lounge available. It would be really nice to have at Canada airports like YUL and YYZ where there is no lounge for US flights
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Makes sense, they just run the PP pass card instead of the credit and then the credit card linked would be charged for the difference.

It will be a nice option at PDX seeing some board rooms aren't permitting PP swipes anymore if they are crowded. I wish they would add it at some smaller airports like CHS that doesn't have a lounge and in the Delta terminal at PDX where there isn't a skyclub or lounge available. It would be really nice to have at Canada airports like YUL and YYZ where there is no lounge for US flights
No, they would run your PP card for one visit and deduct $28 USD from your bill. Any leftover you would need to present another form of payment for. PP does not process merchant charges in the way you are describing.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Back in the PMNW days, before we had lounge access via the Reserve card (as printed on the boarding pass to make it easy) and before DMs got free SC memberships, I saw lots of people entering WorldClubs with the AmEx Platinum card.
I did, at least when I wasn't DM (and sometimes when I was, I'd rather DL get the money than Amex).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I did, at least when I wasn't DM (and sometimes when I was, I'd rather DL get the money than Amex).
I'm sure they'll be seeing a lot more Am Ex swipes in February once they start offering a third choice benefit to diamonds instead of an automatic SC membership. I know I'll be using my Am Ex reserve card instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Delta follows American and United and stops allowing Am Ex Plat. entries in a few years.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:17 pm
C W

I'm sure they'll be seeing a lot more Am Ex swipes in February once they start offering a third choice benefit to diamonds instead of an automatic SC membership. I know I'll be using my Am Ex reserve card instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Delta follows American and United and stops allowing Am Ex Plat. entries in a few years.
It is my understanding that Amex pays Delta for each swipe, therefore as long as Amex is willing to continue paying it is certainly in Delta's interest. I take the ability to use both a Reserve and Platinum card in conjunction with the new Guest Pass option as a solidification of the Platinum partnership, not a weakening.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
It is my understanding that Amex pays Delta for each swipe, therefore as long as Amex is willing to continue paying it is certainly in Delta's interest. I take the ability to use both a Reserve and Platinum card in conjunction with the new Guest Pass option as a solidification of the Platinum partnership, not a weakening.
But United and American were also receiving money from swipes and decided it wasn't in their best interest to continue accepting Am Ex and Delta stopped allowing guesting on Am Ex cards and the Escape lounge is no longer accepting PP despite getting $ per swipe. The United lounges are a lot less crowded as are the sky clubs after those changes.

I like the diamond change since I have a reserve card. If I use the $200 voucher for my third benefit that is paying for almost half the reserve card fee. I wish they would allow you the option to chose four more GU's as the third gift (I'd be happy with even two)

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Delta has a much closer relationship with Amex than either AA or UA ever did, though.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But United and American were also receiving money from swipes and decided it wasn't in their best interest to continue accepting Am Ex and Delta stopped allowing guesting on Am Ex cards and the Escape lounge is no longer accepting PP despite getting $ per swipe. The United lounges are a lot less crowded as are the sky clubs after those changes.

I like the diamond change since I have a reserve card. If I use the $200 voucher for my third benefit that is paying for almost half the reserve card fee. I wish they would allow you the option to chose four more GU's as the third gift (I'd be happy with even two)
AFAIK UA never allowed their passengers to enter lounges with the swipe of an AmEWx card. US did and moreover US didn't even require same day travel on US or one of its partners. A few times I used US lounges when flying DL, such as at BDL. (RIP)

AS allowed lounge access with either a swipe or a PP card, but I cannot remember which method I used at LAX when flying DL from T6. That was a nice alternative too, although I wasn't a fan of the old battered AS lounges at SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.