Wiki Posts
Search

MSP "Escape Lounge" open

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Weird they would have an agreement with Am Ex Plat since that card comes with a PP card.

As a Delta SC member I understand the overcrowding concerns. Once the Skyclubs stopped allowing Am Ex card holders to bring in guests and change to the Exec option for SC members the congestion wasn't nearly as bad, they brought back drinkable alcohol and the food offerings have really improved.
Yep -- I have a feeling when they began accepting PP it was targeted at the Amex Plat cardholders, but then CSR came and a huge influx of guests began using the lounge, which they couldn't handle.

I think the exclusive agreement with Amex is to bring them back to their original goal.

At least on my visit last week, I left the Escape lounge to go to the F/G SC. At least there was seating and some semblance of food and beverage.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bj27
Yep -- I have a feeling when they began accepting PP it was targeted at the Amex Plat cardholders, but then CSR came and a huge influx of guests began using the lounge, which they couldn't handle.

I think the exclusive agreement with Amex is to bring them back to their original goal.

At least on my visit last week, I left the Escape lounge to go to the F/G SC. At least there was seating and some semblance of food and beverage.
If they are trying to get the Am Ex crowd, I'm surprised Am Ex just didn't put a lounge in there. I'm sure Escape has some corporate contracts.

It really sucks for me in two weeks though because I have over a three hour layover in MSP to LHR and the lounge access there would have been nice. Three hours isn't really enough time to leave the airport and take the train into the city and eat and come back and the food offerings would have been nice.

I'm told the F/G SC at MSP has some decent offerings.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

If they are trying to get the Am Ex crowd, I'm surprised Am Ex just didn't put a lounge in there. I'm sure Escape has some corporate contracts.

It really sucks for me in two weeks though because I have over a three hour layover in MSP to LHR and the lounge access there would have been nice. Three hours isn't really enough time to leave the airport and take the train into the city and eat and come back and the food offerings would have been nice.

I'm told the F/G SC at MSP has some decent offerings.
Don't feel too bad. Again the Escape had no food when I was there -- the DL SC at F/G had much more offerings, if you have access.

When I went, the F/G SC had penne marinara with meatballs on the side, some chili, and then the standard SC offerings (hummus, crudite, soup, crackers, cheese, etc.).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Don't feel too bad. Again the Escape had no food when I was there -- the DL SC at F/G had much more offerings, if you have access.

When I went, the F/G SC had penne marinara with meatballs on the side, some chili, and then the standard SC offerings (hummus, crudite, soup, crackers, cheese, etc.).
Someone in my office said there are quite a few food offerings at MSP and since my flight is leaving so late (10 PM) for LHR I'm hoping they will start the dinner service pretty soon after takeoff

The better alcohol selections would have been nice at Escape though. I wish Delta would offer J international passengers a couple free premium drinks at the SkyClub but I'm using a GU so I really can't complain
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:21 pm

Someone in my office said there are quite a few food offerings at MSP and since my flight is leaving so late (10 PM) for LHR I'm hoping they will start the dinner service pretty soon after takeoff

The better alcohol selections would have been nice at Escape though. I wish Delta would offer J international passengers a couple free premium drinks at the SkyClub but I'm using a GU so I really can't complain
Off topic, but IME DL evening eastbound red-eye departures are pretty efficient with D1 service (unlike brethren KLM/AF). You can also ask for all your food to be served on one tray to maximize time.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Off topic, but IME DL evening eastbound red-eye departures are pretty efficient with D1 service (unlike brethren KLM/AF). You can also ask for all your food to be served on one tray to maximize time.
Agree. When I fly to London I usually take the late flight out of DTW and they very efficient (I'm connecting through MSP this time because it was the only way I could be confirmed using a SWU). At least flying from MSP I'll have a little more time to sleep
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
The situation described above re rowdy guests, overwhelmed staff and lack of food offerings can also be seen at the Club at ATL, which is still in PP
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:40 pm

Agree. When I fly to London I usually take the late flight out of DTW and they very efficient (I'm connecting through MSP this time because it was the only way I could be confirmed using a SWU). At least flying from MSP I'll have a little more time to sleep
I prefer MSP to DTW for some reason (although running from F12 to C20 on a 40 minute connection is something I never look forward to). I'll add longer flight times to the EU as one of them

Even better so now that the F/G SC finally got renovated.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodford02A
The situation described above re rowdy guests, overwhelmed staff and lack of food offerings can also be seen at the Club at ATL, which is still in PP
At ATL I think the Skyclub at F is a lot nicer than the Club. Especially in nicer weather when the skydeck is open. A lot of the Skyclubs at ATL (and other airports) used to have problems with overcrowding and poor food offerings until DL stopped allowing guesting, once they stopped that the congestion wasn't nearly as bad and the food offerings improved significantly. I've also noticed the food offerings have improved at the United Clubs since they stopped allowing Am Ex swipes.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

MSP has a number of good restaurants, including several that are branches of local restaurants, not national chains.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I'm not sure this merits a separate new thread, so I'll mention here that a new food truck themed food court has just opened on Concourse E, from which all the non-Delta flights depart. As I understand it, one company has created the food truck concept but the spaces are leased to three local food providers: Holy Land (Middle Eastern food), Red Cow Restaurant and Bar, and Salty Tart Bakery.

This new food area is not too far down Concourse E and requires only a small detour for Delta flyers going between A/B/C/D and F/G.

Here's one of the three trucks.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #150 above (that I forgot to quote):

It's not so weird if you think of the small network of Escape lounges as an extension of the Centurion lounge network, which is operated by AmEx. I think I'll be happier with the changes, but I hope the influx of all the Chase etc. people doesn't mean the end of the PP lounge network as we know it. I say this as someone who paid for a membership long before it was offered as a benefit by AmEx; I think I joined shortly after seeing their brochure in some European contract lounges, when the concept was very new.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:02 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In response to post #150 above (that I forgot to quote):

It's not so weird if you think of the small network of Escape lounges as an extension of the Centurion lounge network, which is operated by AmEx. I think I'll be happier with the changes, but I hope the influx of all the Chase etc. people doesn't mean the end of the PP lounge network as we know it. I say this as someone who paid for a membership long before it was offered as a benefit by AmEx; I think I joined shortly after seeing their brochure in some European contract lounges, when the concept was very new.
I think it will largely depend on how many CSR people keep paying the fee. I think it is very bad for more serious PP users on the whole though. The few new lounges they're negotiating can't make up for the crowding and the lounges that have to leave or restrict entry as they fill up with kettles and their families.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether the huge numbers of CSR people is the reason why AS has been denying PP access to their lounges, claiming overcrowding.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:22 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether the huge numbers of CSR people is the reason why AS has been denying PP access to their lounges, claiming overcrowding.
It seems to be the case, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.