Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
besides the nicer seats are there any benefits to flying C+ internationally?
Old May 18, 2016, 3:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by sdix
So this RJ can go out with 11 empty seat in C+ and 1 in Coach and 1 in F?

This seems like bad revenue management.
I think this plan for DL will backfire somehow.

But hey.....with all of these massive profits (AKA LOW OIL PRICES) DL and other airlines can afford to take risks, right....?
Old May 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by cfabar1
the extra legroom alone is the sole benefit that would make it worth it for me, IMO. (and being in front of the plane for customs/etc.)
Old May 18, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
the reverse to that is the premium transcons. Unless they are DM/PM heavy, C+ looks to be quite packed. In fact, for my JFK-LAX flight next Monday, C+ is sold out or close to selling out on just about every flight that day. I suppose the argument can be made that C+ had already been filled substantially before the new C+ rules were made but, I wouldn't really buy into that. The cost for C+ is $100..00 over and above the main cabin pricing. So much for people just booking the cheapest ticket possible.

Fortunately for me I had a GUC about to expire and the SOB cleared at booking!
No reason not to think that C+ would be primarily filled with PM/DM on a Monday transcon. We have no data to suggest whether or not non-status pax are willing to pay for C+. Clearly, DL thinks that demand will increase if the cabin appears to be more "exclusive", irrespective of whether the actual product has changed at all.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I'm flying from JFK-PDX on a 767 on Monday on a voucher and was unable to upgrade to C+ by paying the difference. In the past, I've done this several times with the same voucher type. I spoke to 3 different departments and they would not let me pay to upgrade myself. I was able to upgrade to Preferred but it's not the same thing. I'm tall and have a heart condition and am willing to pay for extra legroom on a 6 hour flight. I do have a Skymiles account but no status.

This gives me no incentive to want to fly Delta in the future. I get why it's good for those who've achieved a certain status level but there needs to be a balance for those without status too.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I believe there is a bit more recline than domestic C+, legroom, front of the plane, SKY boarding, and a toothbrush/toothpaste in the amenity kit. Service is the exact same as Y though.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:33 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
So far, I've had to check box every time I wanted an "upgrade" to c+, which is fine with me. I was able to do it on both flights next week and there were window/aisle seats available. Hopefully luck will continue to shine and this policy will result in more desirable C+ seats available for those of us who often buy with <2 weeks notice.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k
In nearly a decade of flying with Delta, I've never once selected anything other than a window seat. Window is my account preference. Yet it seems like ~80% of my upgrades have been into an aisle seat. Seriously, how hard is it to figure out what people want, especially when they repeatedly choose the exact same thing?

So today, I got my first WU upgrade. The seat I was assigned? 4B on an E170. Worst seat in C+, and arguably the worst on the plane. Thanks Delta!

This is going to be fun.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I can't help but think that eventually Delta will cave and allow a "only upgrade to an aisle/window seat" option. Maybe as part of the 2017 or 2018 SkyMiles program, something for them to push as a big benefit while other perks are quietly discontinued.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by live5
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I can't help but think that eventually Delta will cave and allow a "only upgrade to an aisle/window seat" option. Maybe as part of the 2017 or 2018 SkyMiles program, something for them to push as a big benefit while other perks are quietly discontinued.
2017 RUCs will allow UGs to C+ middles.

2017 RUCs will allow UGs to any C+ seat.

Inventory may be limited.

Old May 18, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
So here's my first experience with this debacle. I am flying SJC-DCA tomorrow through ATL. As a GM I'm within the window to pick a C+ seat. Since there are plenty of good ones left from ATL to DCA I tried to do so but it tells me that I can "only view" the seats but can't make any changes. I tried to change my selection to "Request Economy Comfort Upgrade" for that leg but got an error (cannot process at this time). So I called DL and asked about it and the guy was happy to put me in an EC seat. I asked about doing it online and was told that since it's a different fare bucket I have to call to request the change. Suffice to say that when I now check my seat assignment nothing has changed. I'm also wait-listed for a mileage upgrade FWIW. I was told (by the same guy) that being wait-listed for a mileage upgrade means that you are essentially on two lists both the waitlist for an upgrade and the regular medallion upgrade. Pretty sure I don't really trust this information.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
In nearly a decade of flying with Delta, I've never once selected anything other than a window seat. Window is my account preference. Yet it seems like ~80% of my upgrades have been into an aisle seat. Seriously, how hard is it to figure out what people want, especially when they repeatedly choose the exact same thing?

So today, I got my first WU upgrade. The seat I was assigned? 4B on an E170. Worst seat in C+, and arguably the worst on the plane. Thanks Delta!

This is going to be fun.
You need to go into your My Delta, click "Flight Preferences". Half way down you will see "Seat Preferences". I'd bet my next FC UG that yours says "Aisle". Change it to "Window". Next time you're upgraded it will be a Window.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Do FO's qualify for complimentary C+ upgrades on award tickets booked in the main cabin? I know that it would be at the window of T-24 (or 48h) but I can't find anything on delta.com that says award tickets qualify for C+ upgrades.

Thx
Old May 19, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Widgets
If you don't want the Comfort+ middle seats, why does other people sitting in them leave a bad taste in your mouth?
Under the old, reasonable, policy, when we booked together early we could have gotten two C+ seats together.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
You need to go into your My Delta, click "Flight Preferences". Half way down you will see "Seat Preferences". I'd bet my next FC UG that yours says "Aisle". Change it to "Window". Next time you're upgraded it will be a Window.
I guess you missed the part where I said "my account preference is window".

Send that UG my way!

The preferences does have a new option for whether you want C+ upgrades by default or not, so that's helpful... sorta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.