Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
So am I correct in saying that now the already harried GAs will have to process two upgrade lists, the normal F list which will undoubtedly open up C+ seats, then the C+ list, which has the potential to be more disruptive if folks are upgraded to a crappy C+ seat from a preferred exit row?
And what about people already in C+ who want to move to a better C+ seat that opens up due to an F upgrade?
Old May 19, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
the reverse to that is the premium transcons. Unless they are DM/PM heavy, C+ looks to be quite packed. In fact, for my JFK-LAX flight next Monday, C+ is sold out or close to selling out on just about every flight that day. I suppose the argument can be made that C+ had already been filled substantially before the new C+ rules were made but, I wouldn't really buy into that. The cost for C+ is $100..00 over and above the main cabin pricing. So much for people just booking the cheapest ticket possible.

Fortunately for me I had a GUC about to expire and the SOB cleared at booking!
Last winter, I flew JFK-SFO quite a few times. On several of the flights (Friday morning earliest JFK-SFO flight) I got a row of 3 C+ seats to myself (so I didn't bother burning a RUC for J).
Old May 19, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan
So I read much of this thread. My questions that remain:

1) I am Diamond. Do I really need to MANUALLY upgrade to C+ after purchasing the flights on Delta.com?

2) If I upgrade to C+, does anything change with my FC upgrade options/potential?

Thank you!
1) I did.
2) No.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Yet another datapoint in regards to upgrades to FC from purchased W fares.

Agent in SLC said that W fares would fall below M fares, but above S fares, so the order would be YBMWSHQ etc.

Two agents so far have told me that (one from SLC, the other from Chisholm), while another has said that it's based off of the underlying economy fare.

I purchased a W fare on an upcoming DAY-ATL-DCA trip, so I guess I'll know for sure then, particularly if I'm higher up the list than usual on the ATL-DCA flight.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 19, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old May 19, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
DL4707 today LAX-SJC. Coach is full (all seats assigned). 12 seats available in Comfort Plus and 2 in F. Upgrade list is 1 for F and 2 for Comfort Plus. The guy wait listed for C+ is also listed for F.

So this RJ can go out with 11 empty seat in C+ and 1 in Coach and 1 in F?

This seems like bad revenue management.

Usually on this flight it's full in coach and 6 or 7 waiting for F that maybe 2 get.
So before boarding the GA begins calling out names...

The 1 pax got his F upgrade and then the GA proceeded to "upgrade" 11 pax from coach into C+. They were never on the list.

I asked her the process and she said she was told to just go ahead and fill up the empty C+ seats.

Pretty sure given everything I have read here that is not the policy......
Old May 19, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
One possible solution would be to 1) fill the desirable C+ seats (aisle/window) with willing medallions in order of priority 2)offer the middle c+ seats to the remaining medallions (most of whom will likely decline if their original seats are halfway decent 3) fill the c+ middle seats with solo travelers assigned C- middles...although in what order I wouldn't know.

Horribly cumbersome and time intensive, but otherwise C+ will be a better protected cabin than F.

In other news, today's MSP-LAX flight featured the most meagerly stocked snack basket and confused and slow service, so really not too sure what I should be getting all worked up for..
Old May 19, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by gigglypug
One possible solution would be to 1) fill the desirable C+ seats (aisle/window) with willing medallions in order of priority 2)offer the middle c+ seats to the remaining medallions (most of whom will likely decline if their original seats are halfway decent 3) fill the c+ middle seats with solo travelers assigned C- middles...although in what order I wouldn't know.

Horribly cumbersome and time intensive, but otherwise C+ will be a better protected cabin than F.

In other news, today's MSP-LAX flight featured the most meagerly stocked snack basket and confused and slow service, so really not too sure what I should be getting all worked up for..
C+ is all over the place when it comes to cabin service. I've seen FAs take drink orders from C+ passengers, and bring them their drinks as would be done in FC. I've also seen C+ passengers get hot towels on meal flights. On the flip side, I've experienced one pass of the beverage cart, and FAs who were hesitant to give refills.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec

And what makes it even more cumbersome is that what defines a desirable seat will vary on person and situation - for example if I'm in an exit row aisle then no C+ seat is an "upgrade" except an aisle. I don't like window seats in Y. But at the same time if I'm in a middle seat in the last row then even a middle in C+ is preferable.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
And what makes it even more cumbersome is that what defines a desirable seat will vary on person and situation - for example if I'm in an exit row aisle then no C+ seat is an "upgrade" except an aisle. I don't like window seats in Y. But at the same time if I'm in a middle seat in the last row then even a middle in C+ is preferable.
When the CS100s are delivered (assuming that DL goes with the OEM seating), middles will become much more tolerable, I imagine. Some might even prefer to move from a C- aisle/window to a C+ middle on that equipment.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

Yeah, can you just see the GAs call up all the Medallions and poll who's willing to take what C+ seat as an "upgrade" from their C- one? That'll be fun.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by cfabar1
besides the nicer seats are there any benefits to flying C+ internationally?
You do get a slightly nicer amenity pack -- includes toothbrush, IIRC
Old May 19, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by akcae
Yeah, can you just see the GAs call up all the Medallions and poll who's willing to take what C+ seat as an "upgrade" from their C- one? That'll be fun.
I'd treat this like VDB and make an offer for what it would take for me to trade my exit row aisle for a C+ middle. I'm certain GAs will love this and reward me accordingly.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
So before boarding the GA begins calling out names...

The 1 pax got his F upgrade and then the GA proceeded to "upgrade" 11 pax from coach into C+. They were never on the list.

I asked her the process and she said she was told to just go ahead and fill up the empty C+ seats.

Pretty sure given everything I have read here that is not the policy......
Was the flight full? If it was, giving C+ to non-E pax is probably the policy.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
You need to go into your My Delta, click "Flight Preferences". Half way down you will see "Seat Preferences". I'd bet my next FC UG that yours says "Aisle". Change it to "Window". Next time you're upgraded it will be a Window.
I don't think this is true, actually. I have window checked for my flight preferences and every time they upgrade me they put me in an aisle seat, even when the window seats are all open.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
I don't think this is true, actually. I have window checked for my flight preferences and every time they upgrade me they put me in an aisle seat, even when the window seats are all open.
I checked "Window" and have never since been put in an aisle, either at booking or upgrade. Prior to that, I was always put in an aisle at booking, and typically in an aisle at UG if one was available. Their code has the assumption that people prefer aisles, unless explicitly told not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.