Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Widgets
No. GAs have been told to do everything possible to avoid that. The Comfort+ upgrade list will be used to fill those seats.
Wait, they'll be doing gate upgrades to comfort plus? So I might be chilling with an exit row aisle seat, scan my boarding pass, and have a bulkhead middle assignment spit out?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Wait, they'll be doing gate upgrades to comfort plus? So I might be chilling with an exit row aisle seat, scan my boarding pass, and have a bulkhead middle assignment spit out?
I'd really like to hear if this happens, particularly with people who didn't tick the "upgrade" to C+ box (which I don't). If that happens, it is a reason to actively not choose DL. I can't remember the last time I had to sit in a middle seat. The horror!
Old May 17, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's the big question ... presumably, if you checked the "Request C+ Upgrade" box and haven't cleared by T-3 hrs (or whenever the cutoff is), you are in the queue for a gate "upgrade" to that middle seat
Old May 17, 2016, 8:03 am

What an amazing clusterfxxk
Old May 17, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm just curious - do you think the change is resulting in more customers (whether elite or non-elite) buying Comfort + fares to book aisle/window C+ seats?
Old May 17, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think that's the whole underlying motivation for marketing C+ as a separate class of service ... DL is hoping that pax will pony up a bit extra ahead of time for C+ to avoid "upgrade roulette"
Old May 17, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by Widgets
No. GAs have been told to do everything possible to avoid that. The Comfort+ upgrade list will be used to fill those seats.
I can see it now. Boarding starts with 8 middles in C+ open. GA calls 8 PAX to counter, all of them GM and FO flier, all turn down upgrades for their aisle/window preferred seats.

GA then calls next 8 PAX, all FO who turn down the middles, for aisles in the back...

The realization strikes, the only seats worse than E+ Middle, are E- Middle (or possibly exit row E- Middle if one is wants one Woodford and some crackers). And the people occupying E- Middles are probably discount E fare holders.

Upgrading E fare holders is absolutely counter intuitive, so DL ends up having E- middle seats going empty, or filling with waitlisted/nonrev pax.

The whole thing is a complete failure, and obviously designed by a focus group pulled from a shopping mall by offering free $20 GAP gift cards for "frequent flier opinions".
Old May 17, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by scracer14
The whole thing is a complete failure, and obviously designed by a focus group pulled from a shopping mall by offering free $20 GAP gift cards for "frequent flier opinions".
Insert "clueless management consultants" after "designed by" and you have your answer.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
What an amazing clusterfxxk
Wait until you experience it in person. Holy .... unreal
Old May 17, 2016, 10:09 am

I bought 2 tickets DFW-MXP for June and paid 750 r/t each on an unannounced fare sale. It did not offer me Comfort Plus until I signed on and saw the seat confirmations. It allowed me to purchase the Comfort Plus seats for the international legs but not U.S. legs. I was not a Delta customer nor did I have a Skymiles account prior to this.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TimtheTeacher
I bought 2 tickets DFW-MXP for June and paid 750 r/t each on an unannounced fare sale. It did not offer me Comfort Plus until I signed on and saw the seat confirmations. It allowed me to purchase the Comfort Plus seats for the international legs but not U.S. legs. I was not a Delta customer nor did I have a Skymiles account prior to this.
For international flights, Comfort+ is still considered an up-sell, not a separate fare class.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Eh .....

Originally Posted by bretthexum
Wait until you experience it in person. Holy .... unreal
I flew yesterday on the first day of the new three class system.

The plane took off on time and landed on time.

Middle seat in C+ was adequate (I traded so that a very pregnant lady could have the aisle). No big deal.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
So I read much of this thread. My questions that remain:

1) I am Diamond. Do I really need to MANUALLY upgrade to C+ after purchasing the flights on Delta.com?

2) If I upgrade to C+, does anything change with my FC upgrade options/potential?

Thank you!
Old May 17, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by lucycan

1) I am Diamond. Do I really need to MANUALLY upgrade to C+ after purchasing the flights on Delta.com?

Some have reported that the "Upgrade to C+" checkbox will remain checked for future flights after checking it the first time. But YMMV. At the very least, you'll need to select it for the very first time.

2) If I upgrade to C+, does anything change with my FC upgrade options/potential?

Thank you!
1. Some have reported that the "Upgrade to C+" checkbox will remain checked for future flights after checking it the first time. But YMMV. At the very least, you'll need to select it for the very first time.

2. No.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lucycan

Thank you!
Pretty sure these questions are answered in the thread, and the wiki :-p

1) possibly. There is a checkbox in the "UPGRADE REQUEST" section toward the middle/bottom of the itinerary page if you click on "Edit". If you want a C+ upgrade (including, yes, possibly into a middle seat if that's all that's left) check the box and save. It appears this setting is remembered for future flights. For flights in the future/with availability, as a DM you should get cleared into WU pretty quickly after checking the box and saving and can then pick a different seat in the C+ section if you want.

2) no. Further, the F and C+ upgrade boxes are separate so you can request F without playing C+ roulette if that is your thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.