Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by WWads
If that's the case, I'm still boarding when my status says I can, regardless if I have a companion. It's not like they enforce the boarding zones anyway.
Agreed.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rep62ar
I am a GM and had not paid any attention to the new upgrade policy. A month ago, I booked my flights on my corporate travel site. This morning I checked into tomorrow's flight 24 hours in advance and then tried to upgrade to one of the numerous open C+ seats. I receive a message that I am unable to upgrade my seat after I have checked in. For the first time in years, I am looking to fly on other airlines. The only perk I will get from Delta as a GM is miles. I can get miles from any airline.
I would call and ask them to uncheck you in. Also ensure that the upgrade for C+ is requested on your itinerary.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by rep62ar
I am a GM and had not paid any attention to the new upgrade policy. A month ago, I booked my flights on my corporate travel site. This morning I checked into tomorrow's flight 24 hours in advance and then tried to upgrade to one of the numerous open C+ seats. I receive a message that I am unable to upgrade my seat after I have checked in. For the first time in years, I am looking to fly on other airlines. The only perk I will get from Delta as a GM is miles. I can get miles from any airline.
You should be able to scroll down to the bottom of your flight information on delta.com, to the section for "Manage Complimentary Upgrades". Make sure that the C+ option is checked. If it's not, select it and save and you should get an "Upgrade" email within a few minutes as long as you are within your 3 day window. The "upgrade" will put you in a C+ seat based on some unknown algorithm, but once it does you can move to any other C+ seat.

Note that once they move you to C+, you can't select any C- seat.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Note that once they move you to C+, you can't select any C- seat.
You can call and have them downgrade you but your old seat may be gone by then (clearly).

What puts fear into my heart is a GA thinking I "must" want an UG to middle C+ (it's a free upgrade after all ) and SHENAs me out of my exit row seat.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta PM
Just as I suspected, this thread is super active today. Who would have thought.... ha!
Old May 16, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
based on current bookings (6x WAS<-->SEA in G/A/P starting this week and ending in late Sep, then SEA-LAX-AMS-BCN/MAD-JFK-SEA in J in early Oct), I'll hit PM with ~40k rollover ... until DL gets this s#!t sorted out, the rest of my DC<-->SEA/LAX travel will be on AS to requalify for MVPG as soon as possible
Old May 16, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points
You can call and have them downgrade you but your old seat may be gone by then (clearly).

What puts fear into my heart is a GA thinking I "must" want an UG to middle C+ (it's a free upgrade after all ) and SHENAs me out of my exit row seat.
I probably should have said "self select".
Old May 16, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
So how does the "upgrade" to C+ work exactly? Is there an airport standby for C+ list if I don't clear into C+ before my flight before the gate? Does checking in affect clearing into C+?

Such a disastrous program!
Old May 16, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
based on current bookings (6x WAS<-->SEA in G/A/P starting this week and ending in late Sep, then SEA-LAX-AMS-BCN/MAD-JFK-SEA in J in early Oct), I'll hit PM with ~40k rollover ... until DL gets this s#!t sorted out, the rest of my DC<-->SEA/LAX travel will be on AS to requalify for MVPG as soon as possible
I'm not sure you should wait for DL to "sort this out". Unless one thinks that DL doesn't know what it's doing, this is being implemented exactly as DL wanted.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott (Plat), Hyatt (Plat), National (Ex. Elite)
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I book through a corporate travel website, and have now been fortunate enough to find that DL's default is C+ downgrades in the off position.

Here's a weird one though, I called and upgraded the outbound segment of a recent flight with cash. Then overnight I get an alert that the return segment has been "upgraded" to C+, now with only middle seats available. Tweeted DL, and they fixed it, thankfully the seats weren't poached overnight.
Similarly, Friday I (DM) booked some flights for next week. They did not upgrade to C+ right away, so I just went in and picked the C+ seats I wanted, as I have done for as long as I can remember.

Yesterday, I got an email saying I had been upgraded to C+ and sure enough, I was in DIFFERENT C+ seats and those I had been in were not available.

Fortunately, the new seats were not horrible.

Tis a mess,
Trout
Old May 16, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Widgets
A few updates. Customers cannot buy up to Comfort+ starting at D-3hours. Change fees do apply when buying up. Same-day standbys for the Main Cabin will not be accommodated in Comfort+. Employees have been told they will likely have fewer Comfort+ seats starting tomorrow.
So if I (DM) want to SDS, but C- is full and C+ has seats available, they won't upgrade a non-medallion to C+ (OK) and they won't let me on even with seats available? It seems they used to, even in the very rare case that Y was full and F had availability, they could put me directly into F.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm not sure you should wait for DL to "sort this out". Unless one thinks that DL doesn't know what it's doing, this is being implemented exactly as DL wanted.
what DL thought they wanted and what many Medallions like are probably two very different things ... my point is that I'm not booking anything except WFBF on DL until the dust settles (save my AmEx companion trip, which is SEA<-->SNA on an E75 where there are no bad seats anyway); if I don't like the way things are going for PMs, I'll probably join the numbers of those who are just gonna burn their remaining miles on F/J awards
Old May 16, 2016, 1:46 pm

Customers who tried to pay to upgrade online during check-in or at a kiosk before 9am had their downline flights incorrectly deleted. The problem has been stopped but affected customers still need to call to be added back into the affected flights.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Pardon me if this is all known, thought it might be helpful for those must book with Concur*.

Just booked two trips; naturally, I'm immediately restricted from choosing those C+ seats, even as a DM. No surprise, after finding this thread last week. What I've discovered is that once the itinerary clears - in my case, you get an email - then you can select the checkbox for Requesting Comfort+ on the app. Let it refresh, and then pick your seats.

Another hassle, but it seems to be a 30-45 minute wait to pick out your desired C+ seat (as WU-class). I feel bad for the GM and FOs; I've been there playing the Economy Comfort game before, but not this silly roulette wheel that you have to spin. How soon before the exit rows and the so-called Preferred seats are...[won't finish sentence]?

* great job, pretty good pay, so if this is the worst part of the job, that's the breaks.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
what DL thought they wanted and what many Medallions like are probably two very different things ... my point is that I'm not booking anything except WFBF on DL until the dust settles (save my AmEx companion trip, which is SEA<-->SNA on an E75 where there are no bad seats anyway); if I don't like the way things are going for PMs, I'll probably join the numbers of those who are just gonna burn their remaining miles on F/J awards
I doubt you are alone. DL will keep doing these things, up to and including squeezing the proverbial blood from a stone, until their other oligopoly friends don't go along. Then it will backfire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.