Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 3:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Boarding door just closed for my SEA-PHX flight.

CR9

FC is full, Y looks full.

Comfort + has 3 of 12 seats full.

Looks like they ARE trying to make it its own cabin?

Idk...just a weird observation as I've never seen this happen with that many empty seats but FC & Y being full.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
wonder how many Medallions are in Y
Old May 17, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
I have a six-leg itinerary starting tomorrow going throughout the weekend, and I've spent hours today dealing with the repeated glitches of the new system. I had checked the box to be upgraded to C+, but one by one, each leg got "upgraded" to a MIDDLE C+ seat which is much worse for me than my original exit row window seat in coach. I need to sleep on these flights, so middle seat in C+ is no upgrade for me. I called Delta and each time, the agent promised to fix it, putting me back in my exit row seat. But when they did this, each time, it erased all my other seat assignments completely, so I had no seat whatsoever. I cannot believe how much time this has taken today. None of the agents understand the glitches. In the future, I think I'm going to opt not to take the automatic C+ upgrades, because if they're likely going to land me in the middle seat and result in losing my seat assignment entirely, it's not a worthwhile gamble!
Old May 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I don't think Delta realizes just how big of a deal removing allowing even 1 companion is when it comes to marital bliss.
Earlier this year, my spouse and I were flying together but on split PNRs. I got the upgrade at the gate, and while boarding I told the GA that the better half would be taking my spot in F. The GA said with a wink, "So you want to stay married, huh?"

I said that a divorce is way more painful than 3 hours in coach.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
In the future, I think I'm going to opt not to take the automatic C+ upgrades, because if they're likely going to land me in the middle seat and result in losing my seat assignment entirely, it's not a worthwhile gamble!
That's exactly what they want you to do.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:03 am

Beware, if you are upgraded to Economy comfort, you loose you may not have a seat!

I am frustrated with Delta's new "Economy Comfort Upgrade". I am Platinum and keep getting "upgraded" to economy comfort, but there are no available seats in economy comfort on my flight. As a result, I keep losing my exit row aisle seat and continue to have to call Delta to get my original seat back. Given the choice, I don't want to be upgraded to Economy comfort, if my only option will ultimately be an Economy Comfort middle seat. I would rather keep my exit row aisle seat.

This is so frustrating- because if you opt out of being upgraded, you loose your chance of getting upgraded to First Class.

This makes no sense....
Old May 18, 2016, 6:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pattyp
This is so frustrating- because if you opt out of being upgraded, you loose your chance of getting upgraded to First Class.
Welcome to FT! Agree that the C+ upgrade thing is frustrating, especially the probability of middle seats.

FYI - the two upgrade options are separate from one another. If you go to the manage upgrades section of each trip you can choose to list for either Comfort Plus or First but you don't have to choose both, and the First class upgrade option isn't contingent on the C+ upgrade.

If I can't upgrade at booking to a good C+ seat then I will stick it out in the C- seat I have already selected.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pattyp
If I am understanding you correctly, you can actually JUST check the upgrade to FC and uncheck C+. That would solve your problem, no?
Old May 18, 2016, 6:52 am

Selling like hotcakes!

My flight later today ... guess C+ isn't as attractive as they would like it to be!

[img=http://s32.postimg.cc/60j95cdmp/hotcakes.jpg]
Attached Images  
Old May 18, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I guess not very many people want to pay the change fee to get into C+.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
last night I booked RIC-DTW-SEA on an award ticket for my son, and was extremely surprised to find Seat 21F on a new-configuration 757 "W5H" not showing as a dark-blue "premium" seat ... needless to say, it's greyed out now
Old May 18, 2016, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Auston
My flight later today ... guess C+ isn't as attractive as they would like it to be!

[img=http://s32.postimg.cc/60j95cdmp/hotcakes.jpg]
the reverse to that is the premium transcons. Unless they are DM/PM heavy, C+ looks to be quite packed. In fact, for my JFK-LAX flight next Monday, C+ is sold out or close to selling out on just about every flight that day. I suppose the argument can be made that C+ had already been filled substantially before the new C+ rules were made but, I wouldn't really buy into that. The cost for C+ is $100..00 over and above the main cabin pricing. So much for people just booking the cheapest ticket possible.

Fortunately for me I had a GUC about to expire and the SOB cleared at booking!

Last edited by DL2SXM; May 18, 2016 at 8:28 am
Old May 18, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by anon2k2
Earlier this year, my spouse and I were flying together but on split PNRs. I got the upgrade at the gate, and while boarding I told the GA that the better half would be taking my spot in F. The GA said with a wink, "So you want to stay married, huh?"

I said that a divorce is way more painful than 3 hours in coach.
I've done that myself. However in the past since she was with me in C+ prior to the upgrade, when I took her seat I was only a few rows back and still had a decent seat. Now we'll both be in full steerage so if I don't get the upgrade to first to give her we're stuck in cramped seats and no free drinks to get the vacation started. Getting nice seats for vacations with my spouse is, to me, a really important benefit that they are taking away.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Can someone explain to me as a GM, what I should be doing? My employer does not allow me to purchase any "paid upgrades".

Right now, I'm booking flights and un checking the c+ upgrade when a middle seat is possible. If I am upgraded to C+ at the 72 hour window, am I still eligible for an upgrade to F?
Old May 18, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Can someone explain to me as a GM, what I should be doing? My employer does not allow me to purchase any "paid upgrades".

Right now, I'm booking flights and un checking the c+ upgrade when a middle seat is possible. If I am upgraded to C+ at the 72 hour window, am I still eligible for an upgrade to F?
Yes, as long as you have the box checked for F upgrades, you're eligible for an upgrade to F if one becomes available.

---another data point---

Currently flying BOS -> CVG

I got upgraded to F at the window. Other than C+, plane is full. In C+, 8/12 seats on this plane are open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.