Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I booked a flight yesterday in Concur and did the C+ upgrade on delta.com shortly thereafter. Anyhoo, today I went into my trip in Concur and noticed that the status of my flight is Cancellation Confirmed with no seats assigned. I went to delta.com and it still has my trip showing. So I went back to Concur and noticed that there is a second flight that is exactly the same with the exact same confirmation number with a status of Confirmed and it has my C+ seats listed. I assume this is due to my "upgrade" to C+ but what's odd is I never had this happen in the past when I got upgraded to F. Glitch?
Old May 20, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This is getting absurd. My flight to EWR is delayed and I was upgraded on Sunday morning. I asked the skyclub to put me on the LGA flight and there are plenty of E+ seats. I was told they could only put me in C- and on the upgrade list for C+ and F and only middle c- seats are available since I didn't pay for C+. I called the diamond desk and it took them a few minutes but the agent got me an Aisle C+ seat. I should clear into F but absurd I have to go through this
Old May 20, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I booked a flight yesterday in Concur and did the C+ upgrade on delta.com shortly thereafter. Anyhoo, today I went into my trip in Concur and noticed that the status of my flight is Cancellation Confirmed with no seats assigned. I went to delta.com and it still has my trip showing. So I went back to Concur and noticed that there is a second flight that is exactly the same with the exact same confirmation number with a status of Confirmed and it has my C+ seats listed. I assume this is due to my "upgrade" to C+ but what's odd is I never had this happen in the past when I got upgraded to F. Glitch?
Here's what I think happened.

1) You booked ticket in Concur. You were assigned ticket number 006nnnnnnnn01 reflecting your original coach fare. Your original fare class was xxxxxxMx.

2) You logged on to DL.com, and requested C+ upgrade (or you qualified for a C+ upgrade through DL automation). Your original ticket 006nnnnnnnn01 has been marked EXCH, and you now have a new ticket number 006nnnnnnnn02 that reflects the WU seat assignment and the new xxxxxxCx fare class.

3) DL.com only shows you the reservation that matches the OPEN 006 ticket, while Concur is showing you both the EXCH (closed, exchanged) original ticket and the new OPEN status ticket.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:18 pm

Had a flight from DTW to PDX yesterday evening, a short-notice ticket that I bought on Wednesday. At booking, only middle seats in row 107 or so were available, so I took one at random. Thursday morning I receive the "Congratulations, your upgrade has cleared" email, which shows me in C+ with no seat assignment. Log into the app, and only 17A is available, so I grab it even though I have a strong preference for aisle seats.

Half an hour before boarding, I look at the app on my phone and see that 4 seats have opened up in C+, including 17C (2 seats to my right). I am assuming this was a result of FC upgrades. I went up to the gate agent, who was *not* working at his computer at that moment - kind of staring out into the crowd - showed him the map on my phone and asked if I could move from 17A to 17C, since there was some availability.

He said "No. Those are saved for upgrades."

I am Platinum, if it matters, though I didn't volunteer that info and he didn't ask, and was #11 on the upgrade list for 4 FC seats - so no chance that was going to happen.

I guess I don't understand why if he was about to start moving people around, it would be that much more difficult to slide me over....
Old May 20, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I did an SDS today (SDC wasn't available even though plenty of seats open, but that's a rant for another thread). Ordinarily I wouldn't, but for a 90 minute flight I don't care so much about the seating. I had to standby for Y and then "upgrade" to W. (F was full, no gate upgrades.)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but doesn't the new W "cabin" effectively reduce available inventory for SDS/SDC? Consider a flight that is (say) W3Y0, and where everyone eligible for an "upgrade" has already been moved from Y to W. If I standby for the flight, I need to clear into Y, so does that mean I would not have been placed on the flight and it would have gone open with 3 coach (uh, sorry, Comfort+) seats? Would the GA op-up someone to clear a Y seat from the standby list?
Old May 20, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This is getting absurd. My flight to EWR is delayed and I was upgraded on Sunday morning. I asked the skyclub to put me on the LGA flight and there are plenty of E+ seats. I was told they could only put me in C- and on the upgrade list for C+ and F and only middle c- seats are available since I didn't pay for C+. I called the diamond desk and it took them a few minutes but the agent got me an Aisle C+ seat. I should clear into F but absurd I have to go through this
That certainly doesn't bode well. I was wondering how this would get handles for irops. Getting booted to C- when there are C+ seats available and you had one is not a good result.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by rylan
That certainly doesn't bode well. I was wondering how this would get handles for irops. Getting booted to C- when there are C+ seats available and you had one is not a good result.
Especially since RU means you should get F in an IROP. Kinda stupid that WU doesn't get W.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Is this international change new?? Just saw this at the top on the website (bolding mine):
Delta Comfort+ is an option for booking along with Main Cabin and First Class for travel within the U.S. 50 and Canada. Effective May 21,2016 for travel departing on or after September 19, 2016, Delta Comfort+ will also be available in booking for select flights to and from the Asia Pacific and Latin America/Caribbean regions. To enjoy extra legroom, Sky Priority® boarding access and complimentary beer, wine, & spirits, select the upgrade banner below and continue with your purchase.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by lamprey
Is this international change new?? Just saw this at the top on the website (bolding mine):
Yes. Saw that on Deltanet this morning but didn't want to post.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

That would make me furious.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Had a flight from DTW to PDX yesterday evening, a short-notice ticket that I bought on Wednesday. At booking, only middle seats in row 107 or so were available, so I took one at random. Thursday morning I receive the "Congratulations, your upgrade has cleared" email, which shows me in C+ with no seat assignment. Log into the app, and only 17A is available, so I grab it even though I have a strong preference for aisle seats.

Half an hour before boarding, I look at the app on my phone and see that 4 seats have opened up in C+, including 17C (2 seats to my right). I am assuming this was a result of FC upgrades. I went up to the gate agent, who was *not* working at his computer at that moment - kind of staring out into the crowd - showed him the map on my phone and asked if I could move from 17A to 17C, since there was some availability.

I am Platinum, if it matters, though I didn't volunteer that info and he didn't ask, and was #11 on the upgrade list for 4 FC seats - so no chance that was going to happen.

I guess I don't understand why if he was about to start moving people around, it would be that much more difficult to slide me over....
Yes, you should have been able to move. He may have assumed you wanted to upgrade, even though the seat map was in his face.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by bennos
I did an SDS today (SDC wasn't available even though plenty of seats open, but that's a rant for another thread). Ordinarily I wouldn't, but for a 90 minute flight I don't care so much about the seating. I had to standby for Y and then "upgrade" to W. (F was full, no gate upgrades.)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but doesn't the new W "cabin" effectively reduce available inventory for SDS/SDC? Consider a flight that is (say) W3Y0, and where everyone eligible for an "upgrade" has already been moved from Y to W. If I standby for the flight, I need to clear into Y, so does that mean I would not have been placed on the flight and it would have gone open with 3 coach (uh, sorry, Comfort+) seats? Would the GA op-up someone to clear a Y seat from the standby list?
That seems correct. No one would be involuntarily upgraded to accommodate a SDS and the flight would depart with empty seats.

For a Medallion or polite flat tire standby, I'd probably try to invol upgrade someone with the excuse that I miscounted how many unseated people needed to be seated in Y.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
New box in My Delta Preferences page

I have updated the wiki as there is now a box in the My Delta Preferences page for upgrade requests for 1st class and C+ upgrades by default

https://www.delta.com/profile/flight...sAction.action

Here are screen shots of the OLD page and the CURRENT page:

Name:  where-to-insert-your-skybonus-number-on-Delta-com-home-page.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  471.5 KB

Name:  my-flight-preferances-in-delta-com.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  118.9 KB
Old May 22, 2016, 8:28 am

I was traveling yesterday with my minor son using a Companion Certificate. I had made sure the C+ upgrade checkbox on my reservation was unchecked.

I was very surprised when my name was called by the gate agent for my individual upgrade. It took a bit of work to get my original seat back (next to my son), but the agent indicated that even though the box was unchecked, once I checked in online I needed to “let Delta know” that I did not want to be upgraded to C+. I asked how I needed to do that (wasn’t that the purpose of the checkbox) and he said I should call Delta to have the notation added to my reservation.

What’s that all about? I’ve never heard of such nonsense. I would have pressed the issue, but there were too many other people complaining about them splitting parties for upgrades to C+, so I just let it go.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Whew, I just realized this was happening last week when I booked a flight to LA and couldn't pick a good C+ seat. Then I don't on the phone with an agent who had clearly had enough of the phone calls. She just kept repeating "Would you like to buy a C+ upgrade?" Finally, i said "how much?". She looked and said, "there are none for sale". I started laughing so hard she hung up on me.

Then I found this thread and it's taken me two weeks to get to the end. Funny read.....watching the ebb and flow of emotion, information and baseless conjecture.

None the less, I got the battlefield upgrade from c- on the outbound to LA. On the return, there was a little snafu, flight showing late, jumped on another, flight back on time, jumped back on original. By that time, there were 10 seats in FC and I got one of them.

Incidently, I also have a trip to ALB. Went in, checked the C+ upgrade box and withing a few minutes I got the upgrade.

All in all, I think it's pathetic what DL has done. But, it's like anything else. First they hose up the website and make everybody mad, but eventually it simmers down. Then they remove their data from EF, lots of people mad but they eventually simmer down. As for me, it's sucks to see things deteriorate, but the only real strategy seems to be to make sure that you have the top status. Status may be like sitting on a pile of crap, just make sure that you're the one on top. DL does seem to be getting smarter. In years past, I was able to get to Diamond early in the summer and then hop over and get ExPlat on AA. That was nice. But, each year they move the goalposts a little and this year I will lose the ExPlat status. Oh well. I can moan, but then I think, "What would it be like if i WEREN'T a Diamond?" I don't want to think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.