Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 17, 3:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bowgie
Wiki Link
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 15, 2:47 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG

Currently Comfort Plus is being sold as an add on, once you book a ticket in the Main Cabin, you can choose to upgrade to the section either for free if you qualify based on your Medallion status, or you can pay to upgrade.

However, Delta is planning to launch Comfort Plus fares as its own cabin starting later this week. With this change, there will also be changes to how Medallions can get access to the cabin, making it more restrictive.

For more info you can view this post as well as this post about the policies for Medallions

How Comfort Plus changes affect Medallions:
  • Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+ based on availability, after purchasing a Main Cabin ticket and opting in for a Delta Comfort+ upgrade.
  • Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will be upgraded to an available Delta Comfort+ seat at the time of ticketing, while Gold and Silver Medallion members will be eligible to receive upgrades three days and one day prior to departure.
  • Medallion members will be notified of their new Delta Comfort+ seat assignment via email and will have the option to change to another Delta Comfort+ seat, if available.
  • Only one travel companion traveling in the same reservation will be eligible for complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ when traveling on the same flight as the Medallion Member and the companion must be a SkyMiles member.
  • The clearance window will be based on the lowest SkyMiles tier level in the reservation.

Last edited by The Weekly Flyer; Nov 15, 15 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 8, 15, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Thank you for sharing this!!
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
If this were anyone but Delta I would think it was a joke. Selling Comfort Plus as its own cabin is downright laughable. It's the same seat as coach with only a couple of inches of legroom and a free drink. Hey Richard, I wasn't raised on a farm but I know bull excrement when I see it.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Delta Launching Comfort Plus Fares Next Week

The only thing I could see being good is if they keep the same rules for Medallions. Then at the gate, medallions would be put in C+ seats instead of the people who didn't select a seat and got a seat request card.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:10 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Marriott/SPG (New) Plat
I wonder what the fare class is going to be? If it's W, then that'll truly be laughable as Comfort+ can't be compared to the real Premium Economy classes offered by VS, AF, BA, LH, CX, NH, JL, DJ, etc.... but I can see Delta management convincing themselves that, with the recent enhancements (particularly SkyPriority boarding and the new dividers), it should be viewed as a comparable product.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
If this is the case, then medallions are going to be sitting in C+ a lot less, because by the time upgrade windows come around it's not unusual for C+ to be basically sold out.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
C+ is often $99 each way. I just can't see people paying that for a drink, a bag of chips and a little extra room, except perhaps on long hauls.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
If this were anyone but Delta I would think it was a joke. Selling Comfort Plus as its own cabin is downright laughable. It's the same seat as coach with only a couple of inches of legroom and a free drink. Hey Richard, I wasn't raised on a farm but I know bull excrement when I see it.
I'll withhold full judgment till the changes are officially announced but on the surface I have to agree. Also, if this is an "upgrade" situation, who's to say I'll want an upgrade to C+ in all cases? I certainly don't want to be pulled from a regular aisle seat to a C+ middle seat. If this is a case where it's a gate upgrade situation, is the GA going to have to ask each Medallion being "upgraded" to C+ if they want the UG to a C+ middle seat over their current Y seat?

Right now I'm holding short of DM because I'm planning to rollover a lot of MQMs and have an easy road to PM for 2017. But one of the biggest benefits of PM may soon be taken away, so perhaps I will push for DM now and get DM if what I value most about PM (complimentary C+ at booking)would be taken away anyway. At that point, there wouldn't be a huge difference between GM and PM.
Old Nov 8, 15, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I presume that this is the first step towards making C+ the freebie UG class for Medallions, while F will be much more limited.
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I presume that this is the first step towards making C+ the freebie UG class for Medallions, while F will be much more limited.
Removing free C+ at time of booking (and making F upgrades near impossible) would remove pretty much any reason for me to be loyal to Delta. Seriously, if I'm stuck at the back of the plane every flight as a Diamond why wouldn't I just start choosing my flights based on schedule/price instead of being loyal to Delta?
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
I've already started booking GAP fares only. I'm tired of the upgrade lottery. But if this is true I don't know why anyone would be loyal to DL.
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
C+ is often $99 each way. I just can't see people paying that for a drink, a bag of chips and a little extra room, except perhaps on long hauls.
I can routinely find FCM for ~$160 on BWI<-->SEA
C+ is $109-$125 on JFK<-->SEA and it's irrelevant on WAS<-->JFK, so while this won't impact my principal travel I sure feel the pain for folks with fewer options
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the logical next step after FCM. Why give better seats away to "overentitled" medallions when you can sell them?
Get used to the acronym "ECM" (Economy Comfort Monetization).
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I do wonder the same. I wonder if Medallions will be entitled to a single cabin upgrade... those who buy Economy are eligible for an "upgrade" to C+, while if you want to be eligible for an upgrade to F, you must buy C+. Seems like a way for Delta to put the squeeze on their ham sandwiches.
Old Nov 8, 15, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NewNole2001 View Post
Removing free C+ at time of booking (and making F upgrades near impossible) would remove pretty much any reason for me to be loyal to Delta. Seriously, if I'm stuck at the back of the plane every flight as a Diamond why wouldn't I just start choosing my flights based on schedule/price instead of being loyal to Delta?
Would make sense to merge your threat with the same from the folks on AA & UA who say the same thing.

I believe that DL sees SM as a secondary program now. HVC's come from international J / paid domestic F and large corporate accounts where substantial discounts make DL good value.

DL believes that it can compete on convenience / product / price and doesn't need to sweeten the pot the way it did back during the financial crisis.

Search this Thread