Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by azeckel
UPDATE: Something I did last night on my reservation must have worked in getting me placed in C+. I played with the "manage upgrades". I unchecked everything, submitted, got an error, rechecked just the C+, got an error, rechecked everything and then it finally said upgrades requested for both C+ and FC. Just checked my reservation and I'm in C+ aisle seats. Still no way for me to get my wife seated next to me.

The whole nonsense of being diamond and not being able to get into C+ with a companion at time of booking is madness. Especially b/c you're basically going to suck up a middle seat that I would think they will have a VERY difficult time selling.

Which begs another question. If they are now holding inventory for C+, that means that the number of Economy seats overall is getting cut by ~10-20%. In theory, that would mean 10-20% higher fares for economy, right?
The underlying fare for W is economy fare. so it does not change the overall number of economy seats.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by azeckel

Which begs another question. If they are now holding inventory for C+, that means that the number of Economy seats overall is getting cut by ~10-20%. In theory, that would mean 10-20% higher fares for economy, right?
Yes, well sort of.

I am sure it will work like last minute bookings now. C- Might be full, but C+ might have availability. In the event a Diamond needs to purchase a ticket, they will get the option to purchase a Y, B, M fare + Comfort + Upsell, where they previously got it for free.

This way DL can go to shareholders and say look. We stopped giving it away for free, and EVERYONE is buying it! Yay us...

Same idea as holding FC seats from upgrades. If Y is full at T-24 but there's 6 seats in C/J, they know a few of those seats upfront will sell, so they don't clear upgrades until the gate.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by scracer14
Yes, well sort of.

I am sure it will work like last minute bookings now. C- Might be full, but C+ might have availability. In the event a Diamond needs to purchase a ticket, they will get the option to purchase a Y, B, M fare + Comfort + Upsell, where they previously got it for free.

This way DL can go to shareholders and say look. We stopped giving it away for free, and EVERYONE is buying it! Yay us...

Same idea as holding FC seats from upgrades. If Y is full at T-24 but there's 6 seats in C/J, they know a few of those seats upfront will sell, so they don't clear upgrades until the gate.
Except if the only thing is available is a "W" fare if corporate travel rules prevent the purchase of anything except economy that means not flying Delta.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by vgb2001
The underlying fare for W is economy fare. so it does not change the overall number of economy seats.
Ok, but if the fare classes used to be X-10, V-10, U-10, T-10 ... (You get the point) and all the coach fares added up to (for the sake of math) 100, now you add in a fare class (above Y?) that is 20 seats. So now the seats for economy are 20% fewer. I would equate that to a 20% fare hike.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

international comfort+

to clarify delta.com says no change to international comfort plus for platinum medallion

so i assume i can still get complimentary intl comfort plus seat at booking and for my 3 family members as before also at no charge as a platinum
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by apancho
to clarify delta.com says no change to international comfort plus for platinum medallion

so i assume i can still get complimentary intl comfort plus seat at booking and for my 3 family members as before also at no charge as a platinum
No. Yourself, yes, but no companions unless they are also PM/DM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Has this been confirmed by Delta ?
The "no change for PM/DM" could actually be read as the previous poster suggested. Taking away the possibility of upgrading travelling companions is a change and not even an insignificant one.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by thesaints
Has this been confirmed by Delta ?
The "no change for PM/DM" could actually be read as the previous poster suggested. Taking away the possibility of upgrading travelling companions is a change and not even an insignificant one.
They did not say no change. However they also have not said you can't move companions to C+. What they have said that as a medallion, you can select seats. This is for yourself, not companions.

To test this for yourself, run a booking before and after the cutoff.

Before: You can select a seat for yourself on a single booking. You can select seats for both passengers on a booking even if the second passenger is no-status, with no charge.

After: You can select a seat for yourself on a single booking. You cannot select a seat for yourself and a no-status companion on a booking without paying the C+ charge.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it will be interesting to see how AS implements this
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Which essentially removes it as a benefit for a lot of PM/DMs who use their miles to take their familes on vacation.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by apancho

And assuming you even clear in the first place...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Which essentially removes it as a benefit for a lot of PM/DMs who use their miles to take their familes on vacation.
Exactly. This was the last carrot for me. Now, that carrot is gone. What is left for Delta to take away? I had been reprogrammed to accept C+ as my upgrade as a PM. Now, that "perk" has been removed for family travel.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zeeb
as well as those who buy revenue rickets for non-status family members
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After: You can select a seat for yourself on a single booking. You cannot select a seat for yourself and a no-status companion on a booking without paying the C+ charge.
And same goes if your companion is an FO or GM... no C+ for you without paying now.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
How does this work for award tickets? I have booked a few which have all allowed me to book into C+ instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.