Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jrl767
I don't think it really matters: after 16 May, there will likely be very few Medallions in the pointy end unless they're FCMing or paid for C+ at booking

that said, I was browsing some likely mid-2016 WAS<-->SEA/LAX travel dates: C+M was typically ~$100-120 over the lowest available coach fare on any given flights; FCM started at ~$70 over C+ (but typically more on those selling V/X/T) and went up to over $1100 for a lot of options ... as long as SDC rules remain the same, I'll have absolutely no problem paying $400 (and occasionally $350) for G/A/P on those TCONs
I think we will need to see the movie play out. There are short flights with little paid traffic upfront but full in back that will need to see this resolved, unless the FCM gets very very low for certain routes.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
... There are short flights with little paid traffic upfront but full in back that will need to see this resolved, unless the FCM gets very very low for certain routes.
no argument that 2pm Wednesday trips on routes like (I'm just making these up, absolutely no experience flying 'em) ATL<-->LIT, DTW<-->DSM, MSP<-->BIS, etc will be very different than TCONs and "consultant day" flights
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aero0729
Delta is in a fine position to do whatever it wants. Everyone on here hates it, but no one actually votes with a wallet.
Maybe the hub captives are stuck, but from my perspective here in Seattle the alternatives are pretty attractive. I matched to AS and already have my first two itineraries booked. AA even provides Main Cabin Extra for free to AS elites at time of booking; it's notable that they are more generous to partner elites than DL is to their top tier.

If seating is important to you, I'd encourage you to take a look at the alternatives - I certainly am. The AS status match is painless and good through 12/2016; they confirmed me within a week and even granted MVP upgrade certificates (an unexpected but welcome bonus)!

When Delta pulls back from their Seattle expansion in two years and blames "stiff competition" and a "challenging environment" in the earnings call, I think we'll look back on the Comfort+ changes as the real change that upset the equilibrium to send passengers across the tarmac to DL's primary competitor.

For those of you based in ATL or who ply a single route over and over again, I do feel for you - the alternatives are much more limited. But for me - international and west coast travel, with the occasional jaunt to family and friends back east - I absolutely voted with my wallet on this one.

Two simple changes at the diamond level - guaranteed confirmation at time of booking into any remaining C+ seat without capacity controls, and the ability to bring one complimentary companion on the same PNR - would have kept me at DL. Without those two elements, it just wasn't worth remaining loyal.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
Maybe the hub captives are stuck, but from my perspective here in Seattle the alternatives are pretty attractive. I matched to AS and already have my first two itineraries booked. AA even provides Main Cabin Extra for free to AS elites at time of booking; it's notable that they are more generous to partner elites than DL is to their top tier.
I'm also SEA based. The one reason I haven't jumped to AS/AA is the lack of reciprocal upgrade privileges between the two. AS and DL still have reciprocal privileges and I've actually done pretty well for upgrades on AS with DL status.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by BenA
Maybe the hub captives are stuck, but from my perspective here in Seattle the alternatives are pretty attractive. ... AA even provides Main Cabin Extra for free to AS elites at time of booking ... I think we'll look back on the Comfort+ changes as the real change that upset the equilibrium ...

Two simple changes ... guaranteed confirmation at time of booking into any remaining C+ seat without capacity controls, and the ability to bring one complimentary companion on the same PNR - would have kept me at DL. Without those two elements, it just wasn't worth remaining loyal.
concur 100% ... the C+ debacle-in-the-making, topped off by pulling C+ back from the AmEx companion cert, was the last straw ... my family CFO is gonna be really happy when I cancel that card

my last TCON this year is IAD-SEA on AS (used a GGU for my son; currently 8 F seats empty with 10 premium seats occupied; I'm in 6F so I really don't care if the UG clears or not); return on AA (booked yesterday; SEA-CLT-IAD redeye; MCE window seats -- $146) ... other than the absence of upgrades, I'll probably be willing to give them a shot on some of next year's trips (SEA<-->DCA via MIA appears in a lot of AA search results, a lot more miles than JFK/LAX )
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
"Standby" status for F after C+ upgrade?

A new wrinkle: I received my email F upgrade at the window for a flight this weekend (obviously pre-May 16). New language has been added to the upgrade email:

Please note: if your upgrade has not been confirmed for your entire trip, or you have been upgraded to Delta Comfort+, you will remain on the standby list for other available upgrades, including First Class upgrades.

So, if one receives a C+ upgrade on a post-May 16 flight, they are on "STANDBY" for an F upgrade? What does this mean -- is it a change from the current pre-May 16th one-tier "upgrade requested" for F procedure?

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Dec 14, 2015 at 6:15 am
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM
concur 100% ... the C+ debacle-in-the-making, topped off by pulling C+ back from the AmEx companion cert, was the last straw ... my family CFO is gonna be really happy when I cancel that card

my last TCON this year is IAD-SEA on AS (used a GGU for my son; currently 8 F seats empty with 10 premium seats occupied; I'm in 6F so I really don't care if the UG clears or not); return on AA (booked yesterday; SEA-CLT-IAD redeye; MCE window seats -- $146) ... other than the absence of upgrades, I'll probably be willing to give them a shot on some of next year's trips (SEA<-->DCA via MIA appears in a lot of AA search results, a lot more miles than JFK/LAX )
That change happened over a week ago....why didn't you cancel it already?

Your AA example is what the airlines are HOPING for. AA will have equally disgruntled elites. One towards DL paying fees replaces you. With the lack of competition, nobody leaving is going to affect anyone or anything else. Unfortunately this is what we are stuck with in the current competitive environment.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
That change happened over a week ago....why didn't you cancel it already?
surprise Xmas gift
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Your AA example is what the airlines are HOPING for. AA will have equally disgruntled elites. One towards DL paying fees replaces you. With the lack of competition, nobody leaving is going to affect anyone or anything else. Unfortunately this is what we are stuck with in the current competitive environment.
yep, WAY too many people don't realize (or, in many cases, don't really want to admit) that it's a zero-sum game
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
yep, WAY too many people don't realize (or, in many cases, don't really want to admit) that it's a zero-sum game
This is true for the domestic market which is basically now an oligopoly.

For the international market, there is still some nice variety out there, and we see US airlines trying to stifle that as much as possible at the moment.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is true for the domestic market which is basically now an oligopoly.

For the international market, there is still some nice variety out there, and we see US airlines trying to stifle that as much as possible at the moment.
Exactly. We can shuffle around among US airlines for lowest price/convenience but with no loyalty to any of them. Then when we buy our nice expensive international J fares we have zero incentive to choose ANY of the US airlines because the bennies that affords us for domestic travel are now so poor.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Comfort Plus NOW

Flew JFK-SFO last Thursday at 7am. GM. Heavy user of iphone app and very aware of c+ availability.

NO availability in C+ in days before flight on website or app, no availability morning of on app. FULLY Booked.

Get on flight and there is 48 total people on the flight and C+ is <50% full.

What the heck is going on?!

Luckily I asked an FA (who acted like they had never seen the app seating chart before, but...) who was eventually able to pull me up to C+ and I ended up with 3 seat across!

Happy it worked out this time, but what is the deal with DL!?!?

(BTW- first post because I finally had to pipe in on the C+ issue!)

Last edited by jbren399; Dec 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm Reason: add info
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, but FA's are not really empowered to deal with seating issues. They don't have access to all the info that the GA's do and they are only authorized to move up passengers to C+ for a fee. This is addressed in the C+ FAQ's --

"Passengers, excluding those who have purchased Basic Economy, may purchase Delta Comfort+ upgrades on board select flights, subject to availability. However, customers may not select complimentary Delta Comfort+ seats while on board, regardless of elite status or fare class. Please ask your flight attendant for further details after takeoff."

If you want C+, you should wait to board and talk to the GA before boarding about open C+ seats. Note there could have been people who used upgrade instruments (RUC's or miles) to move to F the morning of the flight which would have opened up the C+ seats.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by jbren399
Flew JFK-SFO last Thursday at 7am. GM. Heavy user of iphone app and very aware of c+ availability.

NO availability in C+ in days before flight on website or app, no availability morning of on app. FULLY Booked.

Luckily I asked an FA (who acted like they had never seen the app seating chart before, but...) who was eventually able to pull me up to C+ and I ended up with 3 seat across!

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The issue could be poor DL IT or it could be any of a number of other things.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Welcome to FT, but FA's are not supposed to move people around on the plane (either to C+ or F). They can actually get in trouble for it. That is the GA's job. If you want C+, you should wait to board and talk to the GA before boarding about open C+ seats.
Last time I had to standby for a flight, I got seated in a Y- middle. I waited until the final call to board and then asked the GA if there was anything open in C+. She told me to ask a FA. I ended up not bothering because ATL-ORF is a short flight, and I was tired (after a diversion to AGS on my DAY-ATL flight that caused me to miss my originally booked flight) and on my way to visit a sick family member.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jbren399

I flew that flight Friday, and had 3 across to myself also. There were lots of empty seats.

I have no idea why anything would tell you there's no availability shortly before the flight; did you try calling in to ask (before the flight, about availability; after it, about the reason for none showing)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.