Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
they're one of the most profitable airlines in the world today.

Data point: I have a flight next week, JFK = LAX and a few days later, LAX - JFK. C+ on both flights are pretty much gone. So, unless you have 26 (or whatever the seat count is in C+) DM/PM on those flights, people are actually buying C+. Delta did there homework and won't back down from this. Its money over loyalty.
Or 3 PMs with 8 companions each.

I'd be interested in knowing how many C+ seats are actually taken by paid, PM+DM, their first companions, their second companions, etc. I strongly suspect that just limiting the number of companions will eliminate the sold-out C+ issue (or at least generate a lot more revenue to cause it).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I'm guessing you probably do have almost 26 DM/PMs on those flights, although no doubt some of the seats were purchased. I wouldn't use those flights as accurate measures.
And two of the last three JFK-SFO flights I took I got an entire row of 3 C+ seats to myself.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by rylan
I should note that the workaround did result in 4/4 segments being upgraded on that test booking, however on some other test bookings only some of the segments cleared... upon inquiry I was told that there was no 'upgrade' inventory for C+ at that time.

So basically its as we all feared... DL is/will withholding C+ inventory to try to sell it the same way that FCM happened. Be prepared to get 'upgraded' to a C+ middle seat at the airport because they won't be available in advance.
As anyone in sales knows, if there's a perception that no one is buying, the price goes down, ie empty tip jars vs fully stocked ones.

If Delta holds back the upgrades and doesn't "mask" the empty seats by showing them as full to consumers. When they are prompted to purchase E+ for $80 at T-10 Days, and see 5 empty rows of C+ that will surely hurt sales.

"Hmm, looks like a fairly full flight, why has NO ONE booked these seats, must be overpriced... I'll take my chances in the back.."
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
The way this has been implemented is a hot damn mess. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the diamond line today trying to figure this out. I'm booking a trip for next summer and wanted to get C+ seats for me and the Mrs. (who is GM). I wanted to use a voucher for my ticket and miles for hers. But, since we aren't on the same PNR, the automated process doesn't work. And as others have noted, I can't get C+ even for myself at booking.

So I still have no resolution. The rep had me on hold for awhile. He was able to tie our records, but because of our different statuses and the different upgrade lists he got to the point where he said we were "opening Pandora's box." Eventually he took down my number and said he'd call me tomorrow with an update.

I may end up cancelling both tickets before the 24 hour window passes. Then buy both tickets on miles, find a way to get the C+ "upgrade" to clear for both of us, split the PNR, return my mileage ticket, repurchase my ticket with the voucher and again figure out how to get the C+ to process. Come on, Delta. It shouldn't be this hard.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by azeckel
The way this has been implemented is a hot damn mess. ... Come on, Delta. It shouldn't be this hard.
I think what we're seeing is the direct consequence of rushing a marketing- and RM-driven idea into practice, without giving much if any consideration to either the hypothetical what-ifs or the range of customer perceptions, and coupled with their omnipresent relatively non-robust IT
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
The way this has been implemented is a hot damn mess. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the diamond line today trying to figure this out. I'm booking a trip for next summer and wanted to get C+ seats for me and the Mrs. (who is GM). I wanted to use a voucher for my ticket and miles for hers. But, since we aren't on the same PNR, the automated process doesn't work. And as others have noted, I can't get C+ even for myself at booking.

So I still have no resolution. The rep had me on hold for awhile. He was able to tie our records, but because of our different statuses and the different upgrade lists he got to the point where he said we were "opening Pandora's box." Eventually he took down my number and said he'd call me tomorrow with an update.

I may end up cancelling both tickets before the 24 hour window passes. Then buy both tickets on miles, find a way to get the C+ "upgrade" to clear for both of us, split the PNR, return my mileage ticket, repurchase my ticket with the voucher and again figure out how to get the C+ to process. Come on, Delta. It shouldn't be this hard.
Even if you rebook with you and your wife on the same PNR, you're not entitled to C+ seats. Your wife's priority drives your "upgrade" rights, not yours. You will have to wait until the upgrade window for Gold opens because that's your wife's priority. At that time, Delta may (or may not) upgrade you. Those "upgrades" also may put you in center seats.

Isn't being Diamond great?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.

Having been down this path a few times already, you will find the "buying both tickets with miles" option less confusing, but less satisfying.

Buying with miles, you will lose effectively your Diamond status. Everyone on the PNR will have the status of the lowest status person on the PNR, and have C+ upgrade options based on that. You will get the "opportunity" to upgrade to C+ 72 hours before your flight as a GM. (I'm sure there will be PLENTY of C+ seating options then )
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thank you for being a Diamond... please enjoy your travel experience with your spouse in the cramped back of the plane with the slim shot at getting an 'upgrade' and separated into middle C+ seats.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Even if you rebook with you and your wife on the same PNR, you're not entitled to C+ seats. Your wife's priority drives your "upgrade" rights, not yours. You will have to wait until the upgrade window for Gold opens because that's your wife's priority. At that time, Delta may (or may not) upgrade you. Those "upgrades" also may put you in center seats.

Isn't being Diamond great?
If you don't mind using a few extra miles, you might want to consider booking her award ticket in C+. Then you can upgrade your own ticket and she will be confirmed in C+. When I did a recent search for CVG-SFO, the C+ seats were typically 5000 more miles vs. coach.

Additionally, when I book coach using miles, it appears that I will not be eligible for an upgrade even to C+, but I am only FO. Previously I could upgrade award tickets to EP, but not to First.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Armani
If you don't mind using a few extra miles, you might want to consider booking her award ticket in C+. Then you can upgrade your own ticket and she will be confirmed in C+. When I did a recent search for CVG-SFO, the C+ seats were typically 5000 more miles vs. coach.

Additionally, when I book coach using miles, it appears that I will not be eligible for an upgrade even to C+, but I am only FO. Previously I could upgrade award tickets to EP, but not to First.
A FEW extra miles?? Int'l W awards are pricing out at the same level as business.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by akcae
A FEW extra miles?? Int'l W awards are pricing out at the same level as business.
I thought they weren't rolling this out internationally. Did that change? I just did a few searches for SkyMiles tickets from ATL to various cities in Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada. Only the Canadian destinations had the third column for C+, and the prices were between the Main Cabin and First prices.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
You know, I will give Delta this - It is safe to assume that a big part of this was a drive to Medallions out of C+ so they could try to sell the seats instead. And in that they've definitely succeeded.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by airmotive
Having been down this path a few times already, you will find the "buying both tickets with miles" option less confusing, but less satisfying.

Buying with miles, you will lose effectively your Diamond status. Everyone on the PNR will have the status of the lowest status person on the PNR, and have C+ upgrade options based on that. You will get the "opportunity" to upgrade to C+ 72 hours before your flight as a GM. (I'm sure there will be PLENTY of C+ seating options then )
Plenty of middle c+ seats you can be in 10B and your wife can be in 13E
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Armani
If you don't mind using a few extra miles, you might want to consider booking her award ticket in C+.
It was almost almost 2x the price. 30k for Economy and 50k for C+. Bananas.
(As in, come on delta, can I have a banana from the C+ snack basket for the loyalty I've shown in spending $150k with you in the last 5 years?)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:30 am

UPDATE: Something I did last night on my reservation must have worked in getting me placed in C+. I played with the "manage upgrades". I unchecked everything, submitted, got an error, rechecked just the C+, got an error, rechecked everything and then it finally said upgrades requested for both C+ and FC. Just checked my reservation and I'm in C+ aisle seats. Still no way for me to get my wife seated next to me.

The whole nonsense of being diamond and not being able to get into C+ with a companion at time of booking is madness. Especially b/c you're basically going to suck up a middle seat that I would think they will have a VERY difficult time selling.

Which begs another question. If they are now holding inventory for C+, that means that the number of Economy seats overall is getting cut by ~10-20%. In theory, that would mean 10-20% higher fares for economy, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.