Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:56 pm

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but as Comfort+ are now W fares, does that mean 150% MQM's per the earning chart?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...-product-.html

It is an architectural limitation of industry fare publishing standards that only ONE ticket designator can be applied to a fare. This means that, in its initial implementation, "Comfort+ as a Fare Product" is not compatible with corporate discounts, which are applied as a ticket designator to fares.
This seems to say that Q K L U T X V will be coach fare classes. Does it mean that Y B M S H will now all be C+?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I just got off the phone with the DM line and there has to be the appropriate inventory available to get W, even as a DM/PM. If there is enough inventory available, then the DM/PM will get it at that time. It could be at the time of booking or it could be at any time after that. If there is at least two seats available, then the DM/PM plus the one companion on the same PNR will get upgraded. Again, that could be either at time of booking or any time thereafter that inventory becomes available.

The agent I spoke also mentioned that DL does plan on changing W into a separate cabin similar to W on Air France. He also said that when they changed the benefit on golds and silvers, they noticed a trend that golds and silvers liked comfort plus so much that they started buying it at time of booking. That is what Delta hopes will happen with Diamonds and Plats.

Anyway, I am firing off my letter of complaint now to DL. I can't say for certain if this will cause me to leave as the thing I enjoy the most from Delta is the best in class on time percentage, barely any cancellations and amazing customer service.

Also, anyone else notice that its extremely difficult to apply a GUC at time of booking on an international flight? People are also buying D1/J fares at record pace.

Bottom line and to summarize, Delta cares most about profit. That's what drives Wall St. after all. Delta does not care about loyalty, whether or not a DM/PM gets a W seat complimentary on JFK-LAX or about the lack of OP inventory. Its all about the profit. Stop flying Delta and they will change this. Writing in wont be good enough.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:01 pm

Crazy. As far as Delta Diamonds are concerned, VIrgin Atlantic treats us better in the economy cabin. With them, we can pick extra legroom seats for free at time of booking.

I can understand many of the changes Delta has instituted over the last couple of years but this one truly has me perplexed.

In addition, this all seems to be a fairly complex dance. Multiple elite levels chasing multiple upgrade levels with different requirements for such. And then what remains get handed to the poor gate agent. Yikes!

Last edited by emrdoc; Nov 14, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but as Comfort+ are now W fares, does that mean 150% MQM's per the earning chart?
Nope -- try and make a dummy booking and you'll see at the check-out page that the MQMs are the same. You don't earn a bonus.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Crazy. As far as Delta Diamonds are concerned, VIrgin Atlantic treats us better in the economy cabin. With them, we can pick extra legroom seats for free at time of booking.

I can understand many of the changes Delta has instituted over the last couple of years but this one truly has me perplexed.
Maybe the next step for DL will be to create some special extra legroom seats in the front rows of coach for which DL can charge extra.

It's Ground Hog Day.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:05 pm

There are 27 airlines offering REAL premium products.

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php

Some outliers on the list but seat widths range from 17" - 21" and pitch ranges from 34" - 46". The tighter 17" seats are Delta style premium (slide the seat back). In a typical premium set up, there is 1 less seat wide in the premium section than in Y. One of my favorites (EVA Air) offers 38" pitch and 19.5" width on their new 777-300's. Nice seats for a long ride.

Sliding the seats back a few inches without adding width does not qualify as a premium product. It is amazing that they are trying to market this as such. Adding to it is the complete lack of service in C+ compared to Y.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:07 pm

I just sent this to Delta. I've been a PM+PL Amex for 7 years. Not anymore.

I've been loyal to Delta for years now. I've booked flights on Delta and Delta partners (AF/KL) even though the fare was more.

I will no longer be doing that. I'll also be canceling my Delta Platinum Amex card at renewal time.

Why? Your recent changes to C+. In particular, the inability to a) confirm seats at booking for Diamonds and Platinums, and b) the companion policy. It's insane that I can't get even one companion, regardless of status, at time of booking.

The pre-safety video says you always have my back. Please tell me exactly how that's the case after these changes.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by 31693884
I just sent this to Delta. I've been a PM+PL Amex for 7 years. Not anymore.
Awesome. I sent mine in as well. I have been targeted by american before for status match and will be calling first thing Monday. I am not just writing to delta i am following through.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by EVA777
There are 27 airlines offering REAL premium products.

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php

Some outliers on the list but seat widths range from 17" - 21" and pitch ranges from 34" - 46". The tighter 17" seats are Delta style premium (slide the seat back). In a typical premium set up, there is 1 less seat wide in the premium section than in Y. One of my favorites (EVA Air) offers 38" pitch and 19.5" width on their new 777-300's. Nice seats for a long ride.

Sliding the seats back a few inches without adding width does not qualify as a premium product. It is amazing that they are trying to market this as such. Adding to it is the complete lack of service in C+ compared to Y.
supposedly Delta is going to make W into a class similar to that of AF, wider seat, more recline with upgraded food options on longer domestic/international fights. However, wouldn't it make sense to make the changes first?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just can't figure out why DL thinks that its C+ product is all that.
Good question.

I just used the Delta website to price out multiple ATL - LHR flights for this summer and early fall. The price difference between Delta economy with a C+ upgrade fee compared to Virgin true Premium Economy was in the $300 to $500 range per passenger.

Hmm, which should I buy?

Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rwoman
I suspect solo PM/DM who book late might now have a shot at C+ seats.

I'm all for someone not being able to bring up to 8 companions on the same booking into C+
Couldn't they find a way to allow ONE companion to a C+ at time of booking for PM/DM? Did they have to take the only real benefit our spouses see to all of our travelling. I do agree with the 8 companions, but one seems reasonable

Thankfully (more for Delta) my vacation will be before these changes.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by carljanderson
Couldn't they find a way to allow ONE companion to a C+ at time of booking for PM/DM? Did they have to take the only real benefit our spouses see to all of our travelling. I do agree with the 8 companions, but one seems reasonable

Thankfully (more for Delta) my vacation will be before these changes.
The likelihood a pax flying with 8 companions doesn't bother me because I don't think that this happens often. The biggest beef I have with DL is the fact that there's no confirmed C+ at time booking.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
If there is at least two seats available, then the DM/PM plus the one companion on the same PNR will get upgraded. Again, that could be either at time of booking or any time thereafter that inventory becomes available.
No problem believing that you were told that, but it directly contradicts the FAQ on delta.com (unless the companion is also PM/DM). Having a companion takes your upgrade window to the one for the lower status.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Originally Posted by mnbp
No, apparently any customer can contact Delta and purchase the fare upgrade, with the change fee waived.
Even if that is the case, there is still an unknown. In general, the separate add-on to Comfort+ was somewhat static IME on a given flight once a given Economy fare was purchased.

However, if it truly is a ticket change (with the change fee waived) then would the prevailing C+ fare apply at the time one wants to re-issue the ticket even if the fare has increased?

For example,

Purchase ticket 60 days before departure in Economy
Economy = $300
Comfort+ = $400 at the time of booking.

Now, 45 days later (15 days before deapture) I see C+ filling up and I want to change my ticket from Economy to C+. The prevailing fare for the same flight now is:
Economy = $500
Comfort+ = $600

If it is a ticket change to buy-up to C+, then I would guess and speculate, if it is truly a ticket change, that you cannot simply ask for the $100 buy-up to C+, but instead you would have to pay an extra $300 ($600 total) to confirm C+ at 15 days before departure because that is the prevailing price at the time you want to change your ticket to C+.

I hope that I am wrong, but this is a possibility.

Last edited by TWAforever; Nov 14, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.