Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jrl767

the phrase " ... best balance the needs of our customers and our business." is ludicrous, but not unexpected
Not only ludicrous but also mostly likely false.

If the benefit is too one-sided in the customer's favor, the business faces the prospect of underselling its product and not earning to its full potential.

But...

If the benefit is one-sided in the company's favor, it faces the prospect of defections among the ranks of passengers whose yearly spend is considerable, in favor of tiny upsells ($19-$99).

To replace the yearly spend of one DM Delta would need to sell 151 $99 C+ upgrades, assuming these passengers' base fare is as expensive as the ones purchased by the DM...

So they're replacing a balanced model that ensures a predictable revenue stream by one that turns the product into a pure commodity, which requires far more density to achieve similar revenue levels.

Why would anyone do that?

If, as Delta claims in its PR, there aren't enough C+ seats, then the obvious solution is to increase the C+ inventory, which allows the high-tier elites to continue enjoying an important benefit and provides additiomal inventory for upsells by kettles.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Here is the line from the cut-n-paste that really got me annoyed. I responded and called them out on it.

Originally Posted by Delta ReplyBot
While we understand your frustration, the change is the result of extensive feedback given from a large number of passengers who have been unable to purchase the Comfort+ seating on many of their flights.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Here is the line from the cut-n-paste that really got me annoyed. I responded and called them out on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta ReplyBot
While we understand your frustration, the change is the result of extensive feedback given from a large number of passengers who have been unable to purchase the Comfort+ seating on many of their flights.
Translation. We believe there have been a lot of seats that we could have sold if they had not been given to elites. So we're going to start selling them instead of giving them to elites.

That's fairly standard quality corporate euphemism-speak for "We'd rather have the cash when we can get it".
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by BrentHutto
Translation. We believe there have been a lot of seats that we could have sold if they had not been given to elites. So we're going to start selling them instead of giving them to elites.

That's fairly standard quality corporate euphemism-speak for "We'd rather have the cash when we can get it".
The alternative, customer-centric, approach would be to add more C+ seats owing to greater demand, and then sell them. The fact that people wanted to pay for C+ belies the common response that people want the lowest fare regardless of comfort. Clearly there are people like that, and they can sit in the very back of the bus in the current cramped Y seats. Perhaps airline discomfort has reached the tipping point where people are willing to pay more to avoid being like a sardine.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by BrentHutto

I was on a project this summer where I purchased tickets Friday for Friday travel frequently. It was frustrating to have no aisle seats or C+ available to pick at booking. Ultimately, I only sat in 2 middle seats in 60+ flights.

It is a concern that someone can buy a YBM fare at T-8 and sit in a middle seat. This would be solved by holding 3-4 seats in E+ Aisles for those fares. They already hold the first row for disabled. They don't have to revamp the whole system to protect the very slim chance an elite on a YBM sits in a middle seat. Its like shooting a rabbit with a rocket launcher...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Here is the response I got (4 days later).

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns about the recently announced changes to our policies to our Delta Comfort + product.

Please accept our apologies for your discontent with the new procedures for allocating these seats. Your concerns are understandable. Delta continues to extend complimentary access to Medallions in Delta Comfort + seats within eligible windows. As we continue to invest in our premium experiences, we have aligned our procedures to our current Complimentary Medallion upgrade system. Your comments will be shared with our Medallion leadership team as they consider future enhancements to our program.

At least they're not trying to make any excuses in this reply, nor trying to convince me that I had asked for the change.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM
While the rollout of this has been frustrating and didn't work for me the way they said it would, I CAN see a DM and PM benefit. There are MANY times that I have bought an expensive last-minute ticket and only center seats were available in C+, and actually a flight last week from HNL where there were NO seats in C+ (and J was sold out). If they hold back, the right people in the right order will have the option of the C+ seats as it will "upgrade" by status then fare. While I don't like the idea of ending up in a center seat, let's wait to see this in practice before getting too upset.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
To replace the yearly spend of one DM Delta would need to sell 151 $99 C+ upgrades, assuming these passengers' base fare is as expensive as the ones purchased by the DM...

This is kind of lazy business math, no? If the base fare of the two is the same, then any C+ sales are incremental. Even if it's a question of how many new C+ sales you would have to make if that DM wasn't purchasing tickets (and assuming no one is replacing them, which is probably overly conservative given the commoditization of airline tickets for "kettles"), the margin on selling C+ seats is 100% whereas that is most definitely not so for a DM's $15K in fares.

I am sure Delta has run this math and found it to be very much in their favor given the time/$ investment made in IT changes etc.

That said, only time will tell if this was financially the right decision. It was most certainly not a customer friendly one.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...If they hold back, the right people in the right order will have the option of the C+ seats as it will "upgrade" by status then fare.
To DL the right people in the right order is whomever is willing to pay for it first. Whether that's a non-FF booking 3 months out who wants to splurge for that trip to Hawaii or a DM booking one week out who wants to lock in the last aisle seat. IIRC DL recently stated a goal of 70% paid F via FCM; soon they will probably announce a similar metric for paid C+. Medallions will get only the leftovers.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by injera
I still want to know who is actually buying these comfort plus seats? I like them over regular economy for sure, but can't fathom paying $30 extra for a few more inches of legroom, a free beer and a banana instead of pretzels on an LGA->ORD flight.

I can appreciate them trying to differentiate the two classes but still cant imagine them selling well on anything shorter than a TCON flight (yes before having status i've regularly paid for it on TPAC/TATL flights)
And, actually, the only reason you get a banana on that route is because it's considered a competitive market which means Delta serves a meal in F despite it being 733 miles. I routinely fly ATL-SAT, and they only serve peanuts, pretzels, or Biscoff on that 874 mile flight. I just searched for a random flight next week and found C+ selling for $49 on that route.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Here is my reply:

Dear Mr. Traveling Salesman,

RE: Case Number xxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us about Delta Comfort+and your Medallion benefits.

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the changes to our Delta Comfort+. We are truly sorry for your frustration. As you know, for flights on or after May 16, 2016, Medallion members and one SkyMiles member companion in the same reservation will be eligible for a Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+. Your upgrade will be based on your Medallion eligibility subject to Delta Comfort+ availability at time of ticketing or anytime thereafter.

For flights prior to May 16, 2016, Medallion members and up to eight travel companions may be eligible for complimentary Delta Comfort+ upgrades, when traveling in the same reservation.

We do try to be competitive with our competition; and your feedback about this aspect of our service will be very helpful as we make future decisions for our onboard amenities. We are striving to become the global airline of choice and your comments in this area will help us achieve this goal.

Please visit delta.com/medallion for additional Medallion information.

As always, we appreciate your loyalty. We value the relationship you have with Delta Air Lines and would be delighted to have another chance to restore your trust and confidence in our service.

As a Million Miler Diamond Medallion member, you are an integral part of our customer base and we are always interested in your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to write. We deeply value your business.

Sincerely,

Kelly Green
Diamond Desk
delta.com

I like how they are interested in my feed back but never really responded to my complaint regarding the loss of the benefit of choosing the seat I want at time of booking. At least as a Platinum on American I can still choose any seat. Guess who is getting more of my business next year. Because of the lack of upgrades I have gone from Gold to Platinum on American this year.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
This is kind of lazy business math, no? If the base fare of the two is the same, then any C+ sales are incremental. Even if it's a question of how many new C+ sales you would have to make if that DM wasn't purchasing tickets (and assuming no one is replacing them, which is probably overly conservative given the commoditization of airline tickets for "kettles"), the margin on selling C+ seats is 100% whereas that is most definitely not so for a DM's $15K in fares.

I am sure Delta has run this math and found it to be very much in their favor given the time/$ investment made in IT changes etc.

That said, only time will tell if this was financially the right decision. It was most certainly not a customer friendly one.
This is the type of analysis that is the most often done, namely the idea that C+ upsells represent "100% margin" while a DM's $15k is just essentially assumed.

Clearly, no one can predict the future, although UA went down a similar path, deeming its elites overentitled and seeking to monetize on the margin rather than cater to elites whose business is, by definition, far more predictable.

First, there is the fact that for every DM who defects from DL, you need to replace it with dozens and dozens of upsells from customers whose loyalty to spending with the airline is on a purely commodity basis.

Why spend $$ on DL C+ when I can get more legroom for "free" on B6 or WN?

Secondly, this marginal revenue approach inevitably leads to much greater density. To replace a DM's $15k achieved on 40-60 segments, you need over 150 upsells. So, in this narrow case, you've added 90 to 110 more passenger/seats just to break even on the calculation.

And that's assuming the kettles buying the upgrades are purchasing fares as expensive as the DM. Of course, it's not impossible that kettles would buy fares that are more expensive, but, on average, it's reasonable to assume that kettles don't have any incentive to buy more expensive fares, especially not if it's just for a chance to spend even more $$$ on C+.

Finally, the higher density model stretches the whole operation to and often beyond its breaking point. Overfull flights lead to unhappy ground and flight crews, disgruntled passengers, horrifying IrrOps.

Although UA actually never tried to turn its E+ into an upgrade, they did go down this path long enough to learn the hard way that it did not lead to a healthier bottom line (which is all that matters, the marginal revenue bump is only an intermediate step in calculating the P&L), and did immense damage to UA's reputation and good standing.

DL does not have most of the problems UA did when CO and Jeff Smisek took them over, but they need to be very careful not to overstep their success and turn it into failure.

The bottom line is that, yes, elites receive entitlements that, at least in a superficial analysis, would lead one to believe that they are less "valuable per segment flown."

But what the UA experience showed is that this analysis does not mean that by reducing benefits greater profits will ensue, because turning away a highly loyal customer whose annual spend is considerable to replace him/her with a fickle commodity price-driven alternative whose incremental marginal revenue bumps are tiny, is a very risky strategy that can lead to hurting the company's bottom line.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Delta can obviously run their business any way they want, but the first paragraph is outright deceptive. I can have a companion OR I can be upgraded to C+ based on my medallion status. If I have the companion, I am upgraded at his status window.
Yeah, I can't tell if they're outright lying or the person responding just doesn't really understand the new rules, but I don't think there's any way to read the two consecutive sentences in the email and not assume that the second is a continuation of the first.

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
As you know, for flights on or after May 16, 2016, Medallion members and one SkyMiles member companion in the same reservation will be eligible for a Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+. Your upgrade will be based on
your Medallion eligibility subject to Delta Comfort+ availability at
time of ticketing or anytime thereafter.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Yeah, I can't tell if they're outright lying or the person responding just doesn't really understand the new rules ...
probably both

Originally Posted by Traveling Salesman
Dear Mr. Traveling Salesman,

RE: Case Number xxxxxx

... "We do try to be competitive with our competition ... We are striving to become the global airline of choice ..."
more ridiculous marketing drivel

what I think DL leadership has failed to understand is that the "loyal" elite member would much rather DL compete by offering noticeable positive differences/discriminators in products and services, rather than by blindly retooling those products and services to more closely resemble the commodity aspects of travel on other airlines
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Delta seems to want to be an LLC with a couple nicer seats up front on flagship routes. They basically want to become an overpriced Jet Blue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.