Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by murphysxm
I can't agree with this statement with enough positive praise. Couldn't agree more, well said

Well said! Much better than I had tried to write.

Guess what will be my new best friend if airlines switch to revenue based? Priceline!
Old May 18, 2012, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by denverdelta
Well said! Much better than I had tried to write.

Guess what will be my new best friend if airlines switch to revenue based? Priceline!
Revenue-based FFP? I'll cut my travel budget to the bone. FFPs are part off the reason I travel as much as I do. Whack that and I'll spend a lot more money on non-airline-related interests.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by monitor
the award calendar is your priority, not theirs.

Theirs is, or should be, increasing the number on the bottom line and they have come to the conclusion that the current system fosters too many low value Medallions occupying, in this environment, too many seats at low fares.

This is the reality, this is IMO the way it will go with every airline company and we will just need to learn how to deal with it.
There's a simple way to deal with an airline whose only priority is to make money and who doesn't respect the customers: don't fly it. It's not like there's no other options.

If a person's only goal is to make money, but he doesn't respect others and rarely keeps his promises, do you want him to be your friend?
Old May 19, 2012, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by blug
There's a simple way to deal with an airline whose only priority is to make money and who doesn't respect the customers: don't fly it. It's not like there's no other options.

If a person's only goal is to make money, but he doesn't respect others and rarely keeps his promises, do you want him to be your friend?
100% agreed, although of course the only way to do this and still get from A-B these days (say, if A were in say, South Dakota and B were in Austria) would be to take a boat, invent a new airline, invent a new form of travel or not go. And they know that 99.999999999999% of all people will not do those things. the boat is likely, but it is hard to travel across land from SD to the sea. So, like banks and many other large firms where we somehow all blindly put our money adhering to some heard-mentality head-in-the-cloud-like do-like-your-neighbors-do mindset, we work, we pony up, and they can screw us and we can do little about it (watch out with Apple and Facebook but that's a different thread lol) The other solution is to BECOME one of these people and then have enough money so it A doesn't matter what it costs to do what you want and B other people like you will treat you better too and you will have your own jet or stratospheric space craft anyway.
Old May 19, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
....Loyalty programs are likely one of the next major changes for many airlines within the next few years. Southwest Airlines already has changed theirs, and the size of Delta necessitates lean operations. Remember, this is the airline that purchased an oil refinery so they are definitely creative in how they analyze their operations.

Delta, and all other airlines, need to remain profitable, and this will help efficiency by creating a revenue based mileage program. I don't scorn Delta as they are looking to remain in business. Mileage runs are a good thing, but they may be a thing of the past.
You've emphasized what I said earlier about mileage running and that this new program is anti mileage running.

I will say that while I agree that airlines will need to look at the mileage program. However, the first legacy which takes the first step, into a points program is also the one taking the largest risk. I agree with bfxfd, spiff & blug:

Originally Posted by bfxfd
As another poster said airlines will be shooting themselves in the foot if they implament a revenue based system. I understand that the airlines want to reward their best customers ie high spenders. However, they are forgetting the lower spenders who help fill up the seats and are brand loyal because of the FFP. I am not a huge spender burning haven't flown a non ST airline in years. That's because I dont mind the skymiles program and have had good redemptions. But if the miles weren't a factor I would have flown the cheapest and the most convenient. The airlines are forgetting that there are people like me who are nearly blindly loyal however that can change very quickly.
Originally Posted by Spiff
Revenue-based FFP? I'll cut my travel budget to the bone. FFPs are part off the reason I travel as much as I do. Whack that and I'll spend a lot more money on non-airline-related interests.
Originally Posted by blug

The truth as well is because of this, there are some who have already left Delta: despite the problems faced by AA (chapter 11) and UA (system merger). Some of these are the HVC that DL have/had. Some are like me: have one foot out the door should it truly be implemented, we have options.

It seems DL is also tight lipped on these rumors by being very quite. This thread's lack of activity recently is proof of that and what DL wants.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 19, 2012 at 5:27 am
Old May 19, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by monitor
the award calendar is your priority, not theirs.

Theirs is, or should be, increasing the number on the bottom line and they have come to the conclusion that the current system fosters too many low value Medallions occupying, in this environment, too many seats at low fares.

This is the reality, this is IMO the way it will go with every airline company and we will just need to learn how to deal with it.
I think more people would be sympathetic to your argument if the many, many promises which have been made (with timelines) have not come to pass. Cans get kicked down an endless road. If the award calendar is not broken in their minds they shouldn't blow smoke up our ... Unless of course it only through dissembling that they can increase the bottom line.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:20 am

If "some of us have already left" why are they still on here whining?!

I left AA years ago and see no need to go on that board and brag about it!

(and if the mass exodus posters on here want to claim has occurred had actually happened I would br upgraded every time so.....)
Old May 19, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
If "some of us have already left" why are they still on here whining?!
Can only burn miles so fast. Finally down under 200k. Just scored 4 BE tix to Europe for late summer/early fall.

Plus I enjoy flying Delta, so part of me hopes we're wrong, even though deep down I know better.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
As someone who has no access to earning miles or MQMs via credit card, maybe I should welcome this.
I spend about $15,000 (DL & AF) a year on Tickets and have been a Platinum for 10 years in a row, 88K MQM so far this year.

Any Idea how much spend would qualify one for Platinum under the new system?
Old May 19, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
Eye of the storm people.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Plus I enjoy flying Delta, so part of me hopes we're wrong, even though deep down I know better.
+1, Same here.

Plus, I already have flights planned on DL this year before this rumor even surface!

As it stands, I am scheduled to get at least another 100K miles this year, even though I've stopped booking tickets for 2 mths.

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
As someone who has no access to earning miles or MQMs via credit card, maybe I should welcome this.
I spend about $15,000 (DL & AF) a year on Tickets and have been a Platinum for 10 years in a row, 88K MQM so far this year.

Any Idea how much spend would qualify one for Platinum under the new system?
I am in your boat as well pertaining to CC.

Nobody knows the actual levels, but 15K a year has been liken to chum change on this board. The flyers that will reap the most are the $100K plus flyers. But even they may find their earnings diluted.

Consider, generously, you earn a 20% rebate on your dollar value. That is $3,000 value in points for your 1 year spent! That is not enough to even get 1 (non-sale) TATL J class ticket. This is the points system being employed SouthWest, Jetblue, and AirTran.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 19, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old May 19, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by javabytes
Can only burn miles so fast. Finally down under 200k. Just scored 4 BE tix to Europe for late summer/early fall.

For me it's just that DL serves my needs best. I mostly fly TPAC from HKG and usually have multi-city itineraries with several domestic stops. I have had enough bad experiences with airlines supposedly in the same "alliance" not actually providing customer service/assistance to one another's passengers that I prefer an airline with a route network both TPAC and within the US. That leaves me with UACO and DL. UACO is a mess due to the merger and I wasn't a big fan of United even before the current mess. So DL it is.

In theory CX and AA would work. But aside from my aforementioned dislike of multi-carrier itineraries, CX is usually a lot more expensive and AFAIK provides no easy way to upgrade cabins such as the SWU. (I'd be happy to be informed otherwise.)

I usually buy M fares and upgrade to J with SWUs or miles. I assume this makes me a profitable passenger for DL, but I have no data to back up this assumption. If under whatever new system is implemented, I do not reach a medallion tier where I can get SWUs, I will probably just start buying the cheapest fares I can find, and not even necessarily on DL. I am sure DL doesn't care about one customer's plans, but hopefully they are taking scenarios like this into account.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
For me it's just that DL serves my needs best. I mostly fly TPAC from HKG and usually have multi-city itineraries with several domestic stops. I have had enough bad experiences with airlines supposedly in the same "alliance" not actually providing customer service/assistance to one another's passengers that I prefer an airline with a route network both TPAC and within the US. That leaves me with UACO and DL. UACO is a mess due to the merger and I wasn't a big fan of United even before the current mess. So DL it is.

In theory CX and AA would work. But aside from my aforementioned dislike of multi-carrier itineraries, CX is usually a lot more expensive and AFAIK provides no easy way to upgrade cabins such as the SWU. (I'd be happy to be informed otherwise.)

I usually buy M fares and upgrade to J with SWUs or miles. I assume this makes me a profitable passenger for DL, but I have no data to back up this assumption. If under whatever new system is implemented, I do not reach a medallion tier where I can get SWUs, I will probably just start buying the cheapest fares I can find, and not even necessarily on DL. I am sure DL doesn't care about one customer's plans, but hopefully they are taking scenarios like this into account.
From HKG TPAC, realistically, your options are DL, UA, or CX, as you highlighted.

Like you said CX does not give SWUs, but from what I understand they do Op-ups quite regularly. But they don't work with your multiple-city itineraries. While I understand your concerns regarding UA (I am flying UA now), you don't really have much options available to you.

Unless you are willing to give up:
Award trips redemption.
Mileage Running. (though at closer to 5cpm, I hardly view myself as a true Mileage runner)

These two combined were the last straws for me to hedge myself.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Consider, generously, you earn a 20% rebate on your dollar value. That is $3,000 value in points for your 1 year spent! That is not enough to even get 1 (non-sale) TATL J class ticket. This is the points system being employed SouthWest, Jetblue, and AirTran.
Good news for NonRevs -- with no pesky medallions cluttering up the BE cabin there will be plenty of seats up front for them!
Old May 19, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Spiff
+1. Exactly same here. I am thinking that this will be my last year of as much work (revenue) travel as it's been over the last ~decade (following years will be much, much less), and then next year will be the last year of any major award travel (booked this year, while I still can). Well, may be one or two more years of award travel, with still valuable AA miles + great-for-short-flights on JL, CX &c. BA miles. But last year of award travel on SkyTeam, surely 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.