Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
deleted

Last edited by atl runner; Apr 30, 2012 at 7:22 am
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by atl runner
4) Picking how to get from Point A to Point B based on a loyalty program? Way the heck down the list.
except for the part where it's a huge part of #2 for those of us who buy discounted coach....

i end up changing airlines every few years as part of #1 and #3, but picking one and sticking with it is how i do #2....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:06 am
jk2

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I would say the best thing to do at this point in time is keeping your mileage bank as close to zero as possible.

Burn as many miles as possible as a hedge. If you are PM or DM, you can book ticket and cancel them at a later date too without a fee.

IMHO, UA is the first to devalue their FFP and thus it is a matter of time before DL and AA devalues theirs too. I really wish DL would announce things sooner. But until then, I will not be booking a ticket on a Delta flight until this rumor thing clears up.

+1
If those changes are true, any idea how it will affect an award pricing? a R/T to Europe is 60K (low) SkyMiles in coach, I doubt that they will charge 100K (low) instead.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jk2
If those changes are true, any idea how it will affect an award pricing? a R/T to Europe is 60K (low) SkyMiles in coach, I doubt that they will charge 100K (low) instead.
No, not that low. Not unless you can find the flight for $1000.00 even exactly anyway.

It will be dynamic. E.g. $1500 = 150K miles, $1832.29 = 183,229 miles, and so on.

*most likely so, as that is what FBATR means - <u>fare based</u>

Will it be 1cpm? Most likely...but we'll have to wait and see. It could be worse. Could be 1cpm for DM, but just 0.2cpm for no status, or something crazy like that -- which is how it is (about) in SM Marketplace.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:11 am
jk2

Originally Posted by RealHJ
No, not that low. Not unless you can find the flight for $1000.00 even exactly anyway.

It will be dynamic. E.g. $1500 = 150K miles, $1832.29 = 183,229 miles, and so on.

*most likely so, as that is what FBATR means - <u>fare based</u>

Will it be 1cpm? Most likely...but we'll have to wait and see. It could be worse. Could be 1cpm for DM, but just 0.2cpm for no status, or something crazy like that -- which is how it is (about) in SM Marketplace.
Well, if this will be true, I don't know who will stay with them. Currently, a coach ticket to Moscow costs ~$1500 in coach, or ~$6K in J. So, DL thinks that somebody will "pay" 150K SM in coach or 600K SM for J ticket, while others (UA or AA) charge 60K/100K?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by jk2
Well, if this will be true, I don't know who will stay with them. Currently, a coach ticket to Moscow costs ~$1500 in coach, or ~$6K in J. So, DL thinks that somebody will "pay" 150K SM in coach or 600K SM for J ticket, while others (UA or AA) charge 60K/100K?
You never know. Virgin America has a garbage frequent flyer program, and people do fly them. I am certainly not one of them, though.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by RealHJ
... Will it be 1cpm? Most likely...but we'll have to wait and see. It could be worse. Could be 1cpm for DM, but just 0.2cpm for no status, or something crazy like that -- which is how it is (about) in SM Marketplace.
Right now a DM gets a 125% bonus for each mile flown. If they move to revenue based skymiles, having mile redemption based on status makes a lot of sense to me. Say: 10% bonus for FO, 20% for GM, 30% for PM and 40% for DMs or something like that.

The first year of the DM program, I know the extra 25% was an incentive that encouraged to fly DL (instead of CO where I was also Plat) and to move to the new DM status (I needed the miles for my son's back and forth trips to college).
Old May 2, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
It's May, where are all the changes this rumor was about???

I was hoping for the rev based SM to have kicked in by now
Old May 2, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dean1121
It's May, where are all the changes this rumor was about???

I was hoping for the rev based SM to have kicked in by now
I think that's a sign that this was really just a rumor.
OTOH it's interesting that I'm still the top poster in this thread.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:47 pm

I wish we could end all of this nonsense and just move to a more competitive program between travellers. Establish a guideline of either revenue, miles, or both and assign Diamond to the top X number of people. Publish what it took to make Diamond for the year 2xxx on Jan 1 and then work your way down to other levels. Maybe keep the Diamond level at a fixed number of people and let gold and platinum float between a range of percentages based off some deviation from the minimum Diamond qualification.

I feel like it'd incentivize people to keep flying Delta as you'd be compared to a floating target which would change every year and your status would be determined by your performance against your fellow travellers. In addition, it would keep the numbers of elites, or top tier elites, at a minimum. As DL drives people away for whatever reason your chances of moving up a level/maintaining a level tangibly improve. It would also drastically cut down on soft landings but even that could be allowed if you buid in tolerance to the system.

Edit: Better yet, just assign everyone a number. #23 is upgraded before #88000 for every flight in 2012 and your ranking is re-evaluated at the end of the year/quarter/whatever. No more levels, those just create expectations and unrest when something doesn't happen "the way it should".

Last edited by mhop1027; May 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 4:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mhop1027
. . . . .assign Diamond to the top X number of people. Publish what it took to make Diamond for the year 2xxx on Jan 1 and then work your way down to other levels. Maybe keep the Diamond level at a fixed number of people and let gold and platinum float between a range of percentages based off some deviation from the minimum Diamond qualification.
If you were assigned status based on a system that you don't have any direct control over, would you feel confident that they're giving you the honest status that you're due under the system?

Most of us here are used to shenanigans.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
If you were assigned status based on a system that you don't have any direct control over, would you feel confident that they're giving you the honest status that you're due under the system?

Most of us here are used to shenanigans.
Exactly. I greatly value transparency in FF programs, which is why I'm glad that DL has published criteria in advance for DM status, rather than the way that the old EP (white envelope) operated, or the way GS is done now.

However, I wouldn't object to some reasonable additional requirements for status levels along the lines of the leaked criteria that UA was supposedly going to implement.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OMG - I go to England for a few days and this thread is still going. (No -I did not get any OpUps - just two normal UGs for the IND-ATL-IND legs) Can anyone summarize in a sentence or two sentences maximum, what the latest is?
Old May 2, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OMG - I go to England for a few days and this thread is still going. (No -I did not get any OpUps - just two normal UGs for the IND-ATL-IND legs) Can anyone summarize in a sentence or two sentences maximum, what the latest is?
They looked outside and the sky is falling
Old May 2, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
DMs who think they are going to come out ahead on this deal are still seeking to quell a rebellion by trying to discount all rumors. As in:
"It's preposterous to believe that DL is going to do something like this... there is absolutely no evidence that the rumors are true... but I am sure looking forward to when it happens."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.