Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Creative is one word for it, but not the word I would have chosen.
Explain
Old May 18, 2012, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ran into delta execs

What were you driving?
Old May 18, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Spiff
What were you driving?
^

Beat me to it! And did you back up and run them over?
Old May 18, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Is this the same guy who said the award calendar would get fixed in the coming year?
Old May 18, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

A few days ago I was on the phone with the Diamond Desk, and mentioned the rumors. He did say that a completely new reservation system was supposed to be delivered to them this Fall.

I bet it's coming, and when it does I'll completely walk away from Delta. What they don't understand is that if they do a program like Southwests', people will just start buying the cheapest flights, and 95% of the time Delta is not the cheapest.

The future of airline travel will be purely price based, with Delta and the other legacy carriers taking a hit. If I was at Southwest I'd be excited for the changes... I think their business will boom soon.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Is this the same guy who said the award calendar would get fixed in the coming year?
the award calendar is your priority, not theirs.

Theirs is, or should be, increasing the number on the bottom line and they have come to the conclusion that the current system fosters too many low value Medallions occupying, in this environment, too many seats at low fares.

This is the reality, this is IMO the way it will go with every airline company and we will just need to learn how to deal with it.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
What were you driving?
^.
Let me guess, it was the Porsche Cayenne.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
No, it was probably the guy who said today that "our technology does not allow us to charge different fares (or miles) to different customers".
Old May 18, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by denverdelta
What they don't understand is that if they do a program like Southwests', people will just start buying the cheapest flights, and 95% of the time Delta is not the cheapest.
That's already the case for most passengers.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
That's already the case for most passengers.
True, to a point. But I predict an even bigger increase in this. Basically all personal travel will go to pure price. ex. If I was flying DEN-PVG and UA was 150 bucks cheaper, I'd choose them and not care about miles because thay are worthless. In the current setup, I'd choose DL and pay a little more to get the miles.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
No, it was probably the guy who said today that "[unfortunately] our [crappy IT people and their outdated] technology does not allow us to [accurately] charge different fares (or miles) to different customers [like we want to... YET.]".
You have to read [between the lines] on these statements. I helped you out with this one.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by dcline414
You have to read [between the lines] on these statements. I helped you out with this one.
THANK YOU!
This continues to be the most hilarious thread I have read in a long time on Flyertalk.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I ran into Jeff Robertson today.

Alas, the topic of conversation was him asking about where I took all the pictures that are in my cubicle and how he thought they were great shots (as well as him saying I should head down to CPT).
Old May 18, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
As another poster said airlines will be shooting themselves in the foot if they implament a revenue based system. I understand that the airlines want to reward their best customers ie high spenders. However, they are forgetting the lower spenders who help fill up the seats and are brand loyal because of the FFP. I am not a huge spender burning haven't flown a non ST airline in years. That's because I dont mind the skymiles program and have had good redemptions. But if the miles weren't a factor I would have flown the cheapest and the most convenient. The airlines are forgetting that there are people like me who are nearly blindly loyal however that can change very quickly.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bfxfd
As another poster said airlines will be shooting themselves in the foot if they implament a revenue based system. I understand that the airlines want to reward their best customers ie high spenders. However, they are forgetting the lower spenders who help fill up the seats and are brand loyal because of the FFP. I am not a huge spender burning haven't flown a non ST airline in years. That's because I dont mind the skymiles program and have had good redemptions. But if the miles weren't a factor I would have flown the cheapest and the most convenient. The airlines are forgetting that there are people like me who are nearly blindly loyal however that can change very quickly.
I can't agree with this statement with enough positive praise. Couldn't agree more, well said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.