Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
How has UA devalued their miles? UA miles are so easy to redeem at lower price level it makes DL's calender look like a joke! With minimal effort nearly any route nearly any day can be booked with miles at UA.com. (low-level price)
+1
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by LedgeT
The Loyalty Program is comprised of two projects that seek to increase revenue and customer loyalty along with
decreasing liability related to unused award miles. Coordinated communication to the general public regarding the
intentions of these changes is paramount to acceptance.

Revenue Based Mileage Accrual (RBMA) project shifts the basis for awarding miles to a revenue based accrual approach
Release 0: Support the communication/announcement of upcoming SkyMiles program changes (targeted 1Q12).
Will no longer display distance flown miles for departures after new miles accrual effective date (targeted for 3Q12)
Release 0.5: Provide Mileage Calculator to calculate approximate revenue based mileage accrual based on travel
after launch ((targeted 2Q12)
Release 1: Convert SkyMiles System from flown miles to revenue based mileage accrual (3Q12)
Release 2: Reward SkyMiles members with miles for all non-air purchases (i.e. SkyClub, Seats) (currently On Hold)

Fare Based Award Ticket Redemption (FBATR) project
Fast Track Release – Provides limited base functionality to align with the Polaris Chicago release timing

Phase I at Launch introduces Fare Based Award Redemption Model, Single Shopping Experience for Customer, New Award Inventory Controls, Cash + Miles Award Redemption Product, Award Redemption for OA, Modifications to the automated Award Refund, Redeposit, and Reissue and Exchange Process

Phase II – After Launch includes Bid for Price Award Redemption Product, Buy It Now Award Redemption Product, Volume Discount Award Redemption Product, Modifications to SkyMiles Branded Mileage Upgrade Products, and Modifications to SkyMiles System-Wide Upgrade Certificates
That's it. I'm burning all my miles at the marketplace on cookbooks and soap on a rope. Garage sale to follow.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Deadtail
All this based on a dumb rumor on a message board? This is awesome.

The cries for attention have largely ceased. I wonder if they bought cats.

What's awesome to me is being away from this board the past four weeks while in China, and it is STILL on the first page of the DL forum.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
What's awesome to me is being away from this board the past four weeks while in China, and it is STILL on the first page of the DL forum.
the 'loyalty' program is the reason most people participate here. if there's a credible rumor that it's going to be blown up, this is not surprising at all.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by squatch
the 'loyalty' program is the reason most people participate here. if there's a credible rumor that it's going to be blown up, this is not surprising at all.
....or, as proven by this thread...non credible.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I haven't followed this thread that closely but I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of time and energy being spent on something that, at this point, is pure speculation. World peace and eliminating world hunger could have been acheived instead.

If Delta is going to make this change, they are going to make it, and all of this speculation isn't going to change that. At that point, people can react and make "informed" decisions accordingly.

If this is all rumor and no fact, then all of this.....
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by atl runner
At that point, people can react and make "informed" decisions accordingly.
That could be too late. DL has a habit of making changes without advance notice.

Not all rumors are the same. This one is relatively believable because of the job listing, lack of DL response, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by blug
That could be too late. DL has a habit of making changes without advance notice.

Not all rumors are the same. This one is relatively believable because of the job listing, lack of DL response, etc.
So if you don't actually know what the changes are going to be--assuming they occur--what decisions do you make based on not really knowing anything?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:12 pm

So if you don't actually know what the changes are going to be--assuming they occur--what decisions do you make based on not really knowing anything?
It's really just risk assessment really. The thing that has been consistant with program changes (published or not) is the value of miles decreases. You reduce your risk profile by burning miles banked at DL. I think in generally you should have millage goals and should burn them as soon as those goals are met. Having a million miles banked with DL seems very silly to me.

You make strategic decisions about your non-flight loyalty dollars. I see Zero reason to put non-flight spend into Sky Miles.

You don't fly DL routing unless the price is right.

So for me I burned up my miles on a bunch of TATL J tickets. My non-flight spend is banking in Membership Rewards and FlexPerks. My Flight miles are going to a mix of AA and DL based on the best cost.

I'm not leaving a program per se, but I am mitigating my risk.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
For example, I decided to stop spending on DL until next year's SM program is announced. It's not true that I don't know anything - I know for a fact that (1) Jeff Robertson thinks that the skymiles program is too rewarding, and (2) DL often made important changes secretly and without advance notice.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:38 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
(1) Jeff Robertson thinks that the skymiles program is too rewarding, and (2) DL often made important changes secretly and without advance notice.
Totally agree, he said so at the big ALT DO 1 1/2 years ago.

I to think the amount of speculation on exactly what is going to happen here is totally worthless. Nevertheless, I think there is no doubt that something big is coming - I've planned and booked a few large trips to burn miles in anticipation.

I can't wait for the response from those who have been so wrong
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by motytrah
It's really just risk assessment really. The thing that has been consistant with program changes (published or not) is the value of miles decreases. You reduce your risk profile by burning miles banked at DL. I think in generally you should have millage goals and should burn them as soon as those goals are met. Having a million miles banked with DL seems very silly to me.

You make strategic decisions about your non-flight loyalty dollars. I see Zero reason to put non-flight spend into Sky Miles.

You don't fly DL routing unless the price is right.

So for me I burned up my miles on a bunch of TATL J tickets. My non-flight spend is banking in Membership Rewards and FlexPerks. My Flight miles are going to a mix of AA and DL based on the best cost.

I'm not leaving a program per se, but I am mitigating my risk.
+1
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
... Not all rumors are the same. This one is relatively believable because of the job listing, lack of DL response, etc.
I agree. Two years ago at the DL-DO Jeff made a comment that high revenue Medallions were comparatively poorly rewarded compared to sLUT DMs and PMs. That together with the lack of DL response makes this rumor very believable. However, I do not put to much credance on the job posting.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by squatch
Well, you added a second condition. This thread has been all about one word....

IF

Of course, IF may never happen but that's not as important to some as the even slight possibility, no matter how remote, that it just might. Then you added credible. No offense to anyone here but I have yet to see anything that comes even wildly close to supporting a credible rumor.

It is speculation, it is fun, very entertaining. Nothing more, nothing less, until DL is ready to discuss facts.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Anyone who owns a stock portfolio essentially bases it on the same. Knowledge of the current state, and based on the current direction, best guesses at future changes. People bank their livelihoods and their retirements on it, so it's no big surprise that people are changing their travel patterns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.