Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I seriously hope you are right on the one hand.

On the other hand, the fact that DL didn't announce the SM program for 2012 does concern me (I liken it to the calm before the storm).... they were probably whispering in dark corners and went out late at night conspiring again and again.... they were busy little bees....

Well I have been a busy bee too! I am in the midst of my status challenge.
It's posts like these that keep me coming back to this thread. Great stuff. Keeps me laughing.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Deadtail
It's posts like these that keep me coming back to this thread. Great stuff. Keeps me laughing.
+1
Old May 15, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
will see how this unfolds. I fly DL a lot so it may matter

MM
Old May 15, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Wow this thread has been quiet of late. I guess after missing the Q1 target date that was rumored earlier in the thread that things have calmed down.

Maybe DL is just watching the UA debacle and enjoying the status quo of how things are. I'm guessing after their best Q1 performance in over a decade and a great April and positive outlook for the rest of the year, they are just sitting back and sayin "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

Maybe I'm a minority but I don't think DL is going to make any big changes when things are going well and two competitors are really struggling with mergers (UA and WN), another is in bankruptcy (AA) and another is thinking of merging with the bankrupt carrier (US). I don't personally think the timing is really right when the airline is outperforming its industry counterparts.

I'm sure changes have been talked about and very possibly in a serious manner but again how many ideas are brought up in a corporate boardroom and in the end never implemented?
I think you're right, but we're bored. Delta hasn't don't much to excite us this year. No MQM giveaways, no SkyMiles Program changes, no big route expansions, slot swap with US done -- all we can do is fantasize about getting pissed off about something.
Old May 15, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by samonyc
I think you're right, but we're bored. Delta hasn't don't much to excite us this year. No MQM giveaways, no SkyMiles Program changes, no big route expansions, slot swap with US done -- all we can do is fantasize about getting pissed off about something.
Ah, but there have been capacity cuts and some pretty sizeable fare increases.

David
Old May 15, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Originally Posted by DP-340
+1
Thanks, guess I should change my profession to script writer, or something to that tune.

Until then, I guess you could call me chicken little.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Ah, but there have been capacity cuts and some pretty sizeable fare increases.

David
They've happened at AA too.
Originally Posted by samonyc
At least DL doesn't give away DM status, unlike AA.
I am happy with AA though so far this year. And the fare increases aren't on routes I frequent, and most of the flying for work is reimbursed.
(The only personal trips I might do are either on points or on deep discount revenue tickets)
Old May 15, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
At least DL doesn't give away DM status, unlike AA.
Are we sure about that. I know they give out PM and GM the way AA gives out lounge day passes.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Are we sure about that. I know they give out PM and GM the way AA gives out lounge day passes.
Well, in Jan, they practically gave it away with the TEQM promo. (If 67K RDM is worth $1200, and the status is valid over 2 years, and it cost me less than $1500 to obtain it, then.... (Although I already qualified to Jan 2013))
And they are doing it again to UA which had qualification easier than AA because of the promos.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:21 pm

Ran into delta execs

Having some issues with the iphone app. Can't post to Delta. please Move it there.

Just ran into a few delta execs on DL1680. SFO - ATL.

I mentioned the recent WSJ on redeeming, and he said it should get better within the coming year.

I replied asking if that's when delta switches to revenue recognition.

He had a wide smile, and asked how I knew so much about delta.

After that he clammed up.

So there ya have it. Revenue recognition and revenue based pricing for using skymiles.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:37 pm
Used to be highman123

I think there is something brewing. No AMEX transfer bonuses and much smaller/ shorter share miles/ buy miles promos since Q4/2011. It seems Delta has given up it's Loyalty Program in its current form...
Old May 18, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by hg‎
Having some issues with the iphone app. Can't post to Delta. please Move it there.

Just ran into a few delta execs on DL1680. SFO - ATL.

I mentioned the recent WSJ on redeeming, and he said it should get better within the coming year.

He had a wide smile, and asked how I knew so much about delta.

After that he clammed up.

So there ya have it. Revenue recognition and revenue based pricing for using skymiles.
While I do think changes ate coming, I highly doubt that this was a confirmation. I am sure they have been told not to discuss anything, do you honestly believe that they would tell you what was going to happen?
Old May 18, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by hg‎

Can you elaborate on this please or point me at a thread or article that I missed?
Old May 18, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: Several
Business models need to be adaptive; remaining stagnant will lead to negative consequences for the company.

10 years ago checked baggage fees were unheard of, however now they are commonplace. The airline industry is one of the most volatile with some of the lowest profit margins. To remain competitive and profitable many airlines will have to make changes.

Loyalty programs are likely one of the next major changes for many airlines within the next few years. Southwest Airlines already has changed theirs, and the size of Delta necessitates lean operations. Remember, this is the airline that purchased an oil refinery so they are definitely creative in how they analyze their operations.

Delta, and all other airlines, need to remain profitable, and this will help efficiency by creating a revenue based mileage program. I don't scorn Delta as they are looking to remain in business. Mileage runs are a good thing, but they may be a thing of the past.

JetBlue is a pretty reputable airline in many regards, and their system is revenue based.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Creative is one word for it, but not the word I would have chosen.

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Remember, this is the airline that purchased an oil refinery so they are definitely creative in how they analyze their operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.