Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Revenue.

One simple reason: airlines aren't going to share with you how profitable you are.
One more simple reason: This is a customer facing program, so it has to be easy for people to understand how they got to where they are. MQM? It's pretty clear and pretty visible how you got to 50,000. Revenue? It's pretty clear how you spent $25,000. Margin takes a big leap into obscurity, not to mention the enormously difficult task of even calculating that at the passenger-flight level.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Revenue or profit? The question is important to many, but here's why it's important to me:

My spend: $12-18K depending on how much I need to travel. Very pedestrian number. BUT, it's all on TPAC M fares that I use SWUs/miles on. So that $12-18K is on very few segments, and I sit in a cabin that almost never sells out (BE). I'm a PM by miles but wouldn't make FO on segments.

Compare that to someone who spends $25K but flies a huge number of segments/miles on sLUT fares.

I believe I am a more profitable passenger. I have no data to back that up. But assuming I am, will I be treated as such? Or will the $25K sLUT passenger get better status?

Bottom line actually is not whether the $25K sLUT passenger is higher status than me; I don't care. The bottom line is whether I will get SWUs every year or continue to earn enough miles to use them instead of SWUs. If the answer is no, it's goodbye DL unless they happen to be the lowest fare.

No point in getting hysterical because DL can and will do what it wants with its program. But hopefully (for my sake and many others) DL will recognize that valuable customers have lots of different travel patterns.
I'm in between the two... $20k spend, all domestic, primarily on K/Q/H fares. The counter argument is that my $600 r/t tickets are paying Delta nearly $0.50 per mile flown.

The equivalent per-mile price on a TPAC route (assuming it is DL-operated) would be MUCH HIGHER. For example, LAX-NRT is 5,445 miles, so a r/t ticket that costs $0.50 per flown mile would be $5,445 IN COACH.

I conclude that fare class is a close approximation of profitability, but would still be skewed IN FAVOR of long-haul international flights. Revenue, however, is a better approximation of value to Delta, IMHO.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Revenue or profit? The question is important to many, but here's why it's important to me:

My spend: $12-18K depending on how much I need to travel. Very pedestrian number. BUT, it's all on TPAC M fares that I use SWUs/miles on. So that $12-18K is on very few segments, and I sit in a cabin that almost never sells out (BE). I'm a PM by miles but wouldn't make FO on segments.

Compare that to someone who spends $25K but flies a huge number of segments/miles on sLUT fares.

I believe I am a more profitable passenger. I have no data to back that up. But assuming I am, will I be treated as such? Or will the $25K sLUT passenger get better status?

Bottom line actually is not whether the $25K sLUT passenger is higher status than me; I don't care. The bottom line is whether I will get SWUs every year or continue to earn enough miles to use them instead of SWUs. If the answer is no, it's goodbye DL unless they happen to be the lowest fare.

No point in getting hysterical because DL can and will do what it wants with its program. But hopefully (for my sake and many others) DL will recognize that valuable customers have lots of different travel patterns.
Keep in mind the reasons why the $25k sLUT passenger ends up on sLUT fares:
1. The passenger purchases non-refundable tickets in advance, allowing DL to predict and plan for the future with great certainty.
2. The passenger fills seats that DL recognizes it is unable to sell at M fare levels. You can be certain of this simply by the fact that DL offers the sLUT fares. If they could fill the plane at M fare levels, you can be sure they would.

I know this discussion happened hundreds of posts ago, but DL still needs this flier even though the margin made off them may be slim or negative. All that matters is whether or not the marginal revenue brought by the passenger is higher than the marginal cost of transporting them. Most costs (the plane, the pilots, the cabin crew, the GA, the gate, the airport fees, etc.) are the same no matter how many passengers are on that plane and are locked in well in advance. If you can get extra passengers on those planes, sure, their overall margins might even be negative if you take the total cost of the flight and divide by the number of passengers, but assuming their fare is higher than the marginal cost of transporting them, your profit on the flight is higher than it would be without them.

Example:
Flight is a 150-seater, and costs $30,000 to operate both in terms of fixed costs for the flight and variable costs for the 125 people who currently hold tickets. Those 125 people have bought tickets worth $40,000.

Delta can dig its heels in and refuse to sell any sLUT fares on the flight and operate it at a $10,000 profit. Or it can sell 25 more seats for $200 each, and suppose it costs them $100 more in fuel for each additional passenger (no additional cost for things like pilots that are already locked in). If they do, the cost of the flight is now $32,500, and revenue for the flight is now $45,000. Total profit is $12,500.

If you take the cost of the flight and divide by the number of passengers ($32,500 / 150 = $216.67) it appears those 25 sLUT fares are all unprofitable because they only paid $200 each - below the average cost to transport a passenger on the flight - but they actually increase Delta's profit on the flight.

This is obviously a completely made up example using random numbers, but it demonstrates the point. And airlines operate on much slimmer margins.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by javabytes
Revenue.

One simple reason: airlines aren't going to share with you how profitable you are.
One more simple reason: This is a customer facing program, so it has to be easy for people to understand how they got to where they are. MQM? It's pretty clear and pretty visible how you got to 50,000. Revenue? It's pretty clear how you spent $25,000. Margin takes a big leap into obscurity, not to mention the enormously difficult task of even calculating that at the passenger-flight level.
But you have a customer value score that takes profitability into account. It could be used to award status.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you have a customer value score that takes profitability into account. It could be used to award status.
As long as you are okay with passengers having no idea what they need to do to obtain status, sure. I don't see that working for an entire loyalty program. Maybe a white envelope tier, sure, but not the whole thing.

Last edited by javabytes; May 22, 2012 at 11:46 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 2:55 pm

As long as you are okay with passengers having no idea what they need to do to obtain status, sure. I don't see that working an entire loyalty program. Maybe a white envelope tier, sure, but not the whole thing.
+1

The mystique of an invitation-only tier allows it to have unpublished qualifying criteria. But much of the incentive of having tiers (rather than a sliding scale) is that it incentivizes behavior such that at every tier you have a visible goal to reach the next tier.

Sort of like "buy 10 get 1 free" at a coffee shop. If they randomly told you "oh, you've earned this cup for free" but you had no idea WHY, it would just frustrate consumers and fail to motivate them to be loyal to reach the next goal.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dcline414
+1

The mystique of an invitation-only tier allows it to have unpublished qualifying criteria. But much of the incentive of having tiers (rather than a sliding scale) is that it incentivizes behavior such that at every tier you have a visible goal to reach the next tier.

Sort of like "buy 10 get 1 free" at a coffee shop. If they randomly told you "oh, you've earned this cup for free" but you had no idea WHY, it would just frustrate consumers and fail to motivate them to be loyal to reach the next goal.
Yes, the problem is obvious. With good customer relations and good IT the problems can be overcome. For example, maybe they go to a point system for medallion status and whenever you shop for a flight on DL.dumb you can buy a T fare for X points or a K fare for 3X points or a B fare for 5X points and so on. Just like WN does now. So you can plan out what you need to do to make your desired status.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:56 pm

Yes, the problem is obvious. With good customer relations and good IT the problems can be overcome. For example, maybe they go to a point system for medallion status and whenever you shop for a flight on DL.dumb you can buy a T fare for X points or a K fare for 3X points or a B fare for 5X points and so on. Just like WN does now. So you can plan out what you need to do to make your desired status.
True, but for the CVS to play into the equation, Delta would have to be able to penalize customers for every frivolous complaint or DYKWIA episode. I'm not sure they could be that transparent ("okay, we'll give you a ton of miles for the IFE not working but take off 100 points for the trouble") without facing SERIOUS customer backlash.

Sure it makes sense, and in practice I'm sure it works somewhat like that, but I doubt they could make that a transparent process. The high maintenance customers would just argue every "qualifying point" penalty.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
As long as you are okay with passengers having no idea what they need to do to obtain status, sure. I don't see that working an entire loyalty program. Maybe a white envelope tier, sure, but not the whole thing.
Originally Posted by dcline414
If they randomly told you "oh, you've earned this cup for free" but you had no idea WHY, it would just frustrate consumers and fail to motivate them to be loyal to reach the next goal.
+3

The whole point of the standard tiers (for the airline) is to influence future purchasing behavior - namely, make people spend more money with you on their way to the next tier. For that to work, they've got to be able to see the carrot you're dangling and know how far away it is.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Revenue.

And that what something like White Envelope is for -- a program where the airline can invite people who are very profitable (which only they know) -- even if they may not fit in other criteria.

The status earning rules need to be transparent -- I (and most I think) am not going to fly a whole year with an airline to learn Jan 1 that I've been awarded XXX status based on hidden criteria. If it can't be figured out in advance, I think most will move to a program where one can.

Edit: See that everybody else pointed this out. In this case the next page was a real next page -- I've been assuming the last page is not there
Old May 22, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
That could well be the most cynical statement that I have ever seen made in this forum.
Just speaking the truth.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
So the 717 rumor that started about the same time as this rumor thread came very close to the OPs original content. Does that give this rumor any more credibility?
Old May 22, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
That could well be the most cynical statement that I have ever seen made in this forum.
That's encouraged though, as then we can't get screwed over as easily
Old May 22, 2012, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Add in x1 more point for using the SkyPeso AMEX and it sounds like what could very well be coming in the new loyalty program.
Old May 23, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
the pre take-off Love Big Brother speech

Originally Posted by generaltao
And ahh get ta lick it, eeeeverdayyy.
Yup, and when I'm looking at which airline to book that "Maah deyusk iys maydurv ol' massas plantation house " echoes in my ears and I look for another carrier that can get me there without subjecting me to that dose of Orwellian doublespeak

yours sincerely
severely creeped-out flyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.