Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think people don't buy into the idea (implicit in so many of the comments here) that this is somehow DL-specific.
True. It's very definitely not DL-specific. I don't understand why airline execs are so enamored with revenue-based loyalty programs, but they are. Whatever they're smoking, they're passing it around!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Therre's a new thread in the AF forum about changes in their redemption rates for intraEU flights. The idea basically is that fees are being lowered (no YQ) and low coach is available for generally approximately the same number of miles as before. Then there are two more levels of coach ward tickets based on inventory. The big change seems to be that business class award tickets will now, at low level, cost three times (versus two times before today) as much as low coach, and go up to as much as six times as low coach, although this seems to be speculation. Hence, a low business class award ticket within Europe will cost close to as many miles as a business class TATL low award ticket.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Deadtail
This week I heard directly from a Delta Exec that there is going to be a level above DM based on revenue. This was part of a conversation about my roll over making it possible to not fly Delta for three years and maintaining DM status and how this diminishes program benefit for their best customers.
Now this would actually make sense, to keep HVC happy and not tick-off the rest of us. It doesn't always give me a good feeling to beat out a multiple-DM flyer for upgrades (but I'll take them as long as it's within the policy ).
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
This week I heard directly from a Delta Exec that there is going to be a level above DM based on revenue. This was part of a conversation about my roll over making it possible to not fly Delta for three years and maintaining DM status and how this diminishes program benefit for their best customers.

Some other notes.

Many Delta employees have read this thread can not comment because they aren't close to what the new program will look like yet, that any detail they offer could be changed. They regularly sketch program ideas as part of workgroups, some tame, some radical changes. It's not unusual or unique to Delta and doesn't indicate changes.

Lower Tiers will still be mileage based and RDM earned will be based on the same.

While GS and CK may offer different, but not necessarily better benefits for HVC than DM, Delta realizes that perception is reality and people like to be a part of something exclusive. This will allow them to attract more HVC.

New level will have upgrade priority over DM.
Not at all radical and something I could not only live with but approve of. As long as I still get SWUs.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not at all radical and something I could not only live with but approve of. As long as I still get SWUs.
Likewise... although I'm not sure how this could coexist with "revenue based mileage accrual" and "fare based award travel redemption".
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I'd say we know three things:

1) Delta has been conducting surveys about possible Skymiles changes. (I was one of the people surveyed.);

2) Delta issued a help wanted notice and the job description in that notice seemed to indicate that the successful candidate(s) would be involved in changing Skymiles;

3) No substantive changes have happened thus far this year. (I don't consider the rollout of EC to domestic flights to be substantive.)
I was called about a survey -- I think because of my SkyBonus account from something they said -- but once they found out my "company" (i.e. me) didn't spend 50K+ with Delta they said "thanks, but no thanks."

FWIW
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
BURN BURN BURN - those who mostly buy sLUT should get out before the crash.
I am trying to -- I had 300K of TALT tickets purchased for relatives (Mother, brother, niece) and all have canceled on me -- luckily way before 72 hours.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dcline414
10 minutes BEFORE?

Based on how they normally implement changes, here's how it will actually go:
  1. IT will load the updates without telling customers or employees
  2. There will be a million confused/upset/threatening FT posts the next day
  3. We'll finally come to some sort of understanding about what changes were made and how badly we get screwed over
  4. SMI will do a hit and run confirming everything we already figured out and telling us that it actually makes things better (then never answer specific questions that come up afterwards)*
  5. We will inform the front line employees about the changes
  6. A week or two later they will get a memo announcing the changes
*And I'm looking forward to SMI explaining to us how it "was a difficult decision, but the right one" with a pat on the shoulder
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Likewise... although I'm not sure how this could coexist with "revenue based mileage accrual" and "fare based award travel redemption".
While I feel the items you mentioned are more than likely ideas that made it out of a idea session, Delta already has revenue based mileage accrual. The Delta AMEX is one of them.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
While I feel the items you mentioned are more than likely ideas that made it out of a idea session, Delta already has revenue based mileage accrual. The Delta AMEX is one of them.
I suppose it is a possibility that air travel remains mileage based wile DL introduces new ways of earning miles that are revenue-based (such as SkyClub membership purchases... x miles per $. Preferred seat fees. Or maybe even bag fees. Might convince people to hate bag fees less, which would be marketing genius. They could even offer mileage booster on bag fees. Pay us $35 instead of $25 for your checked bag and we'll give you 1,000 extra miles. ). But I'm still leery because of its evil twin fare based award travel redemption...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
I suppose it is a possibility that air travel remains mileage based wile DL introduces new ways of earning miles that are revenue-based (such as SkyClub membership purchases... x miles per $. Preferred seat fees. Or maybe even bag fees. Might convince people to hate bag fees less, which would be marketing genius. They could even offer mileage booster on bag fees. Pay us $35 instead of $25 for your checked bag and we'll give you 1,000 extra miles. ). But I'm still leery because of its evil twin fare based award travel redemption...
What about for elites?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
This week I heard directly from a Delta Exec that there is going to be a level above DM based on revenue. ...

Lower Tiers will still be mileage based and RDM earned will be based on the same.

While GS and CK may offer different, but not necessarily better benefits for HVC than DM, Delta realizes that perception is reality and people like to be a part of something exclusive. This will allow them to attract more HVC.

New level will have upgrade priority over DM.
The above makes sense. I always thought that DL would want to differentiate sLUT-DMs from HVC-PMs.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Now this would actually make sense, to keep HVC happy and not tick-off the rest of us. It doesn't always give me a good feeling to beat out a multiple-DM flyer for upgrades (but I'll take them as long as it's within the policy ).
Self-annointed HVCs are never happy, as evidence just read this thread. Many would be satisfied with nothing less than positive space confirmed upgrade instruments and a limo ride to their beachfront estate. Or even better, a kryptonian cattle prod to kick any lower tier elites out of FC seats. How dare a DM ride in coach with a lowly PM upgraded to First Class. Imagine the utter horror of riding in the seat which was paid for.

The coporate contracts are the primary battleground, along with the handful of high spend customers that control their travel. The rest of the elites are merely fungible self loading cargo, and each airline tailors its program to retain its share of those. Then you fill in the remaining seats with the general public, whom at the end of the day provides the entirety of the airline's net profit via bag and other fees.

David
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The rest of the elites are merely fungible self loading cargo, and each airline tailors its program to retain its share of those. Then you fill in the remaining seats with the general public, whom at the end of the day provides the entirety of the airline's net profit via bag and other fees.

David
So accurate. So sad. I count myself as 1 of those with only at $20K spend per year. DiverDave you have ruined my day.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Capping off the max. value customers get out of the DL "loyalty" program miles at around 1 cent per mile is not going to make the DL "loyalty" program more attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.