Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
How many of these threads to we need??

In addition to the thread mentioned above in post #8...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pt-2012-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ext-steps.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-mqm-year.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...doing-now.html
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by DLroads
Hi, I am working on a brand new ERP system, and simple 'digging' finds a lot of 1960's cobol code in, and I am even talking pre ANSI code.
(PS- no, not old, but as a child I did have the opprotunity of playing with a spectrum a neighbor owned. Oh, the noise...
Hmm, 30 or 40 yr old stable old cobol code (granted probally more expensive to maintain in terms of getting people that know how to work with, or time to make updates) vs. ultra modren new code that can be cranked out in an afternoon using and advance language/environment and then takes weeks, months or years to debug ...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
where the problems are

Originally Posted by motytrah
Does Deltamatic/Deltatragic just mean the interface or does it include the big iron backend system as well?

I suspect any update will just be the interface to the end user, so I wouldn't expect post booking oddities to clear up, nor the website to any better.
This is an excellent question and point. I have developed software in the airline industry and when I see the term Deltamatic I think of the old back-end system that has a green-screen interface.

Users may use the term differently.

I have never worked on any Delta software. I have however worked on reservations software for other airlines as recently as 2009, and my impression is that the original reservation systems, many descended from 1960s-vingate origins, are still the main workhorse. More and more often new user interfaces are thrown on top of them (i.e. Web or PC applications).

My impression though is that the vast majority of the time when there is a problem it is not in the back-end system, it is in the newer user interface layers.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
They're replacing their Sinclair ZX81 with a TRS-80.
*Hahahahaa!!!*

Really, they've been promising the replacement of deltamatic since the merger - it's been steadily pushed back for ages. Again, no word in Res (and by that point it won't even affect me anymore *sigh*) but I wouldn't hold my breath...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
How many of these threads to we need??
There are so many threads on this topic, I think we need a spindle to hold them together! (ok, that was off topic but I couldn't resist).

What do you expect when there are so many rumors about the potential curve balls and monkey wrenches that Delta could throw into such a huge loyalty program? If any of those rumors come true, it will be truly disgusting.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
OH MY GOD. Please tell me that hardware doesnt still exist! That is awesome!
It was moved off of mainframes to Unix boxes about a decade ago (or at least parts of it were moved, according to an old ComputerWorld article I found). And I'm sure at the time they migrated that it was not running on the same mainframe system as shown in this picture. Mainframes have fairly long lifetimes, but not that long. Here's an old booklet about it on Amazon. It can be yours for only $175.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
I still have my TRS-80 in it's original box somewhere. Still have the formats book too with the looooong formats to make the screen change colors. For a kid growing up in the 80s, Radio Shack was the bomb!!!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
I know somebody that knows someone who had a friend that flew on DL recently and he heard............
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DaChief
I know somebody that knows someone who had a friend that flew on DL recently and he heard............
. . . . . . and he probably heard it from someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Charter DM and still DM/2.5MM, AMEX Plat, DLAMEX Plat,
i think a much better thread is "what is THomas Hudson up to??" we certainly do not need the one that says 'what is Thomas Hudson drinking?"

sure beats the same o same of threads. nuff said
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Nope. You are off by a few decades.

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Is Deltamatic a real word, or is it a fond reference to Delta IT like delta.dumb is to delta.com?
DeltaMatic is a dead end version (1965-1970s, not really updated since in any real way) before PARS (what NWA / nwa.com was using) was ever conceived.
Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Air...ontrol_Program
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As many as it takes, I think.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
As soon as there is a shred of credible evidence that it is coming, we are going to see mass award redemptions of customers using their miles for fear of them becoming devalued in a big way.
Isn't that already happening? I mean SM devaluation is a sure thing. It's just a question of when and how much/how bad. And now everything points to pretty soon, and rather drastic (few fold over) devaluation. Never been a better time to empty out one's SM account and stop booking any revenue tickets on DL going forward.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Wowzers, a revival of this massive thread. Let's see if we can push it to 200 pages before an announcement is made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.