Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller
When did banks start doing this?
I have Chase cards and have never received any 1099s. However, it has been documented here and in other places that Citibank did in fact send them out to those who picked up the AA bonus miles for taking out a card in 2011.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fracas
How do you know the seat will go out empty?

Mileage runs are generally multi segment flights constructed around cheap fares in order to gain additional benefits at the least possible expense. These benefits cost Delta money. With the full loads nowadays Delta stands to gain financially if a non MR is in that seat.
Why does it matter why a person is traveling?
They paid for the seat, no matter who occupies a seat on a T fare SFO-NYC, they are all posting the same price.
Originally Posted by kuhlguy
Hi All ... so I've been trying to avoid this thread because I'm pretending like nothing is going to happen ... haha, maybe not the best idea? but then I thought I better take a look and saw that this thread is at 150!!! pages.

Been doing a little searching through, but have yet to read all 150. I see a lot of people are trying to burn through their miles.

I right now am a GM going to be PM with 300+ Skymiles that I'm sitting on. By the end of this year that will probably be 400K+ skymiles. I just burnt through 300K by taking a leisure trip to Germany for Christmas with fam in J.

I don't have time in the foreseeable future to burn miles so was thinking storing them to use in late 2013 or even 2014.

I guess my question is, even if the program changes, why do you need to burn the miles? Wont we still have those miles saved? Or are you guys thinking that to redeem will cost a lot more.

Sorry if it's in this thread somewhere ... 150 pages i just a lot to sort through!
Because the miles will be worth less than they were before.
If AA implemented this, my miles would be spent on a RTW/upgrades on BA/M+C faster than you could say disadvantage.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by fracas
How do you know the seat will go out empty?

Mileage runs are generally multi segment flights constructed around cheap fares in order to gain additional benefits at the least possible expense. These benefits cost Delta money. With the full loads nowadays Delta stands to gain financially if a non MR is in that seat.
You are right on the increasing loads, but the true test of the economy is after this year's US election. Introducing a measure that has sacrifices long term gains for short term benefits is very much in line with banks most have come to hate. Throw in the fact that RA got a pay raise too.

Add in that Mileage Runners are welcomed on AA, and you have the means for AA to survive in the long run especially if many bolt that direction.

Btw, the points system has been done by other big airlines and they backed out after due to the back lash.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Where exactly did you get this date? can you back it up with facts or are you basing it on the rumors?
That is based on bus. class cost in $ vs. in mileage needed for it now at low, if 1 SlyMile becomes 1 cent worth. It is unlikely 1 SM will be more than 1c with the price-based award pricing, as it is now 1c at PWM.

But yes, it is pure speculation -- just like everything else here.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by monitor
I have Chase cards and have never received any 1099s. However, it has been documented here and in other places that Citibank did in fact send them out to those who picked up the AA bonus miles for taking out a card in 2011.
It's been documented that Citibank sent out 1099 forms for AA bonus miles received for opening checking and savings accounts, not for getting credit cards.

USA Today: Those are the guidelines Citibank says it's following; the bank confirmed that its credit card customers aren't being required to report their miles or other rewards as income. The bank says the forms were sent only to customers who received miles as part of the promotion for opening an account.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
I ran into Jeff Robertson today.

Alas, the topic of conversation was him asking about where I took all the pictures that are in my cubicle and how he thought they were great shots (as well as him saying I should head down to CPT).
I guess you can believe his compliment, since he didn't state your pictures were "best in class".
Old May 20, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Thanks to those who took time to answer my question on the previous page.

Just wondering. Are there many people out there that are still holding onto their skymiles?

I've begun looking at doing a long weekend trip to Europe in J around Christmas, but I'd be pretty much going just go use my miles (not saying I wouldn't want to go to Europe ... just I'd prefer to save my miles and use them in a year or two for a much longer trip).

Just like to know if there are others of you who are holding onto 400-500K+ miles even with the speculation
Old May 20, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au

Just wondering. Are there many people out there that are still holding onto their skymiles?

I've begun looking at doing a long weekend trip to Europe in J around Christmas, but I'd be pretty much going just go use my miles (not saying I wouldn't want to go to Europe ... just I'd prefer to save my miles and use them in a year or two for a much longer trip).

Just like to know if there are others of you who are holding onto 400-500K+ miles even with the speculation
I am sure there are many, because they naysayers here are plentiful. Especially after no announcement was made after Q1 (original date of announcement for the change).

But when an announcement comes, you can bet more will try to spend their miles. Which by then will be in the medium to high tier redemption range, especially with lowered "O" class on AFKL recently, you will be fighting for it.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:24 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes
You may wish to go back and read some threads from the better part of a decade ago and see what DL did to people holding old miles when DL launched the new and improved (excuse me, "enhanced") SkyMiles.
Or talk to Flying Colonials who were given lifetime CrownRoom OR NOT
Early MMs who were given lifetime status - now annual comped.
I had old miles rolled into new enhanced program - you can never count on things staying the same, even if it's for a lifetime.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, DL 1M, Marriott Elite, Hilton Gold, SPG Elite

I have 493k with trips to Europe once and Japan 2 or 3 times at least slated for the rest of CY12. I'm at 194k MQMs for the year. My goal is to take the miles and get BE round trips to India for the two of us at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'm still unclear on what or if Delta is planning....
Old May 20, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, DL 1M, Marriott Elite, Hilton Gold, SPG Elite
By the way, I am of the opinion that the only change Delta will make is to the qualification level for status, not the mileage accrual program explicitly. For example, mileage accrual will be similar, but achieving DM or PM will be heavily weighted on revenue and less on miles. There won't be any more Silver's who keep status on a yearly Singapore trip.

If Delta goes away from this mileage accrual in such a loyalty based business, AA comes out of bankruptcy and approaches profitibility soon after. I would leave on Day 1 if DL changed this mileage accrual program. I would be ok with a more heavily revenue based status qual program.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by blug
There's a simple way to deal with an airline whose only priority is to make money and who doesn't respect the customers: don't fly it. It's not like there's no other options.

If a person's only goal is to make money, but he doesn't respect others and rarely keeps his promises, do you want him to be your friend?
Airlines aren't in the friendship business *except* to the extent your friendship brings them profit. They should respect you, keep their word, and want your business only to the extent that it will make them more money - not for any other purpose. Airlines' only priority should indeed be to make money. They are businesses, not charities.

Originally Posted by bfxfd
As another poster said airlines will be shooting themselves in the foot if they implament a revenue based system. I understand that the airlines want to reward their best customers ie high spenders. However, they are forgetting the lower spenders who help fill up the seats and are brand loyal because of the FFP.
It is even more accurate, and ideal for the airline, to strive to reward their most *profitable* customers. That doesn't necessarily mean their highest spenders, nor does it mean their most profitable customers in the near-term. An airline should *seek* to jettison long-run unprofitable customers, even if they are expected to be loyal ones, and they should be trying to attract more long-run profitable customers, even if they aren't high-revenue ones. Therein lies the challenge of developing the perfect reward system... it isn't as simple as just rewarding revenue, but allowing people to be so clever that they don't generate profits isn't wise either.

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
As someone who has no access to earning miles or MQMs via credit card, maybe I should welcome this.
I spend about $15,000 (DL & AF) a year on Tickets and have been a Platinum for 10 years in a row, 88K MQM so far this year.
MQMs earned via card spending are very profitable to Delta, so it's unlikely that any change would involve dumping them. However, if your $15K spending is on high-margin tickets, then yes, you should probably be welcoming any change (if one is actually on the way). Someone who earns 60K MQMs/year via card spending and also purchases $15K in high-margin fares is a very desirable customer to Delta... more so than someone who doesn't spend on Amex DL cards but spends $25K/year on extremely low-margin fares.

Originally Posted by Tomphot
Early MMs who were given lifetime status - now annual comped.
To date, the change from "lifetime" to "annual complementary" has been worthy of the quotes, as it hasn't resulted in any material change. Of course, it kept the door open for change, but until and unless one actually occurs, it's not a real devaluation.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by blug
There's a simple way to deal with an airline whose only priority is to make money and who doesn't respect the customers: don't fly it. It's not like there's no other options.

If a person's only goal is to make money, but he doesn't respect others and rarely keeps his promises, do you want him to be your friend?
Originally Posted by mooper
Airlines aren't in the friendship business *except* to the extent your friendship brings them profit. They should respect you, keep their word, and want your business only to the extent that it will make them more money - not for any other purpose. Airlines' only priority should indeed be to make money. They are businesses, not charities.
Having met many people in the Delta organization, I'm pretty sure the majority are there to provide a great product/service knowing the outcome will be profit. They are dedicated and enjoy their jobs. I don't think there is this conspiracy to not respect customers. That said, there are a few executives who like to push the boundaries and may not have the priorities and perspective we as highly engaged customers do - but they do listen if presented a compelling story. It's just that many FT'ers have a reputation for playing the system and low revenue.

I'd also add that the loyalty people should be more open, humble, and don't overpromise in their communication, let alone communicate MORE with us here. The Michelle/72 hour rule fiasco will take a long time to get past, but sadly, loyalty doesn't see the full extent of that problem.

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; May 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
One thing I wonder, is where the credit cards some in. I have no idea how much profit DL gets off them, and in terms of straight point accumulation, even a loyal DL flyer is probably better off with an Amex gold card than a Skymiles Amex card.

If they devalue skypesos to 1 cent in a PWM-like model, it seems like they kill the credit cards. 1 cent cashback cards are as pervasive as ants at a picnic.

It will likewise destroy international J redemptions. I will pay 167% or 200% of Y miles for J, but who would pay 300% or 400%? Not too many.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by BahstunDLPT
If Delta goes away from this mileage accrual in such a loyalty based business, AA comes out of bankruptcy and approaches profitibility soon after. I would leave on Day 1 if DL changed this mileage accrual program. I would be ok with a more heavily revenue based status qual program.
Delta's biggest cost from the SM program is the mileage redemptions. If Delta is going to do anything, it will revolve around devaluing the redemption value of miles or reduce the mileage given. It doesn't cost DL much to give upgrades or Skyclub access based on status, so changing that makes little sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.