Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were some posts here deleted? At 15 posts per page, I am on page 138 and when I click to go to page 139, it bounces right back to page 139, despite the top and bottom of the the page saying that I am on "Page 138 of 139."
The same sort of thing has been happening to me for the last few pages...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
The same sort of thing has been happening to me for the last few pages...
And to me. Not only does that happen, but I can't use the back button anymore once it happens. I have to click on "Delta Skymiles" to get back to the thread menu.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Try switching to 40 posts/page. That's what mine is set to and I don't see any issues. It might help troubleshoot the problem for you anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were some posts here deleted? At 15 posts per page, I am on page 138 and when I click to go to page 139, it bounces right back to page 139, despite the top and bottom of the the page saying that I am on "Page 138 of 139."

EGAD!

Delta IT has invaded Flyer Talk!!!!

Cheers
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Now that is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time
I see you have 0 confidence in SMI posting...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by Deadtail
The problem the rumor mongers have is they aren't offering anything specific, not even in the ball park as specific, but still claim to have inside sources. Where were these sources during all the past changes? I couldn't be further from Atlanta and I can tell you that sooner or later some unspecific changes are coming. Am I an insider now? Feel free to quote me.
That's the problem tho - you're expecting them to get into specifics they either 1) can't, in an effort to continue their relationship with sources who give them information, or 2) they know baseline information, but not enough to satiate the needs of the information hungry.

That said, in this day and age, it is naive for anyone to expect anything other than a revenue based reward system. While someone may be 125K MQM flyer, the LUT fares they are purchasing are, in the end, worth less than a 75K flyer who buys H/Q/K.

People who contribute a significant revenue toward Delta shouldn't be worried, at least with the glasses I have on.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
People who contribute a significant revenue toward Delta shouldn't be worried, at least with the glasses I have on.
I disagree. An award program that gives a percentage of one's ticket price back for future flight credit (which appears to be the type of system Delta is shooting for) does not serve as an effective stimulus for low- or high-revenue per segment / mile passengers to incrementally spend more with Delta over the long term imo.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by blug
It HAS somewhat changed. Now it is impossible to book 2 BE award to Asia on the same flight, except LAX/DTW-HND, which is useless as there's no connection beyond HND. This is important to me and I've already canceled my DL reserve card. Things will only get worse in terms of the value of skymiles.
I've noticed the same thing. I'd be interested to hear if some of the folks who have reported in the past couple of years that they've been able to get almost any kind of low-mileage award they want with only limited flexibility still can do so.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
That's the problem tho - you're expecting them to get into specifics they either 1) can't, in an effort to continue their relationship with sources who give them information, or 2) they know baseline information, but not enough to satiate the needs of the information hungry.

That said, in this day and age, it is naive for anyone to expect anything other than a revenue based reward system. While someone may be 125K MQM flyer, the LUT fares they are purchasing are, in the end, worth less than a 75K flyer who buys H/Q/K.

Agreed my former boss who is ATL based and fly to Europe quite a bit always buys the higher fares so he can use miles to upgrade or SWUs or to have a better shot on medallion heavy routes. He is only PM, but I bet he spends more than quite a few DMs. I confess although I am PM it was mainly on sLUT TATL fares and thus totally mileage based.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I've noticed the same thing. I'd be interested to hear if some of the folks who have reported in the past couple of years that they've been able to get almost any kind of low-mileage award they want with only limited flexibility still can do so.
Infuriating me as I try to take the folks to ICN...

And the wrong page count / taking you to a different page bug is happening to me as well.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I disagree. An award program that gives a percentage of one's ticket price back for future flight credit (which appears to be the type of system Delta is shooting for) does not serve as an effective stimulus for low- or high-revenue per segment / mile passengers to incrementally spend more with Delta over the long term imo.
I am certain that Southwest has had the opposite experience. Even FT members, and we are total cheapskates, have reported "buying up" to BS (as we have dubbed their Business Select fare) when deep discounts are not available or when spending other people's money. Southwest's tighter rules on fare re-use (funds are locked to one passenger name) have also made refundable fares like BS relatively more attractive.

Delta *will* improve its mix of fares sold with a revenue-based program. The question is whether too many profitable customers will jump ship to other airlines, reducing the size of Delta's total revenue so much that it offsets the improved fare mix.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Until Delta is ready to announce their proposed changes, everything is speculation.

That said, I do feel bad for the folks who believe this is a rumor/hoax without substance.

It's coming, sooner or later.
I fear you are correct.

Consider this thread: over 2000 posts and over 130,000 visits.

The suits on Virgina Ave may not be the brightest bulbs in the box when it comes to customer relations, but I cannot imagine them failing to respond to quell the rumors if there was nothing whatsoever valid about what is being suggested here.

If the rumors were entirely devoid of foundation, why would DL management allow the negative feelings and perceptions that are growing here continue to fester?

Something is in the works. The details may not precisely correspond to any of the rumors posted here, but they are likely close enough in concept to the rumors that there is insufficient wiggle room left to provide DL management plausible deniability. Hence, the lack of response.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I am certain that Southwest has had the opposite experience. Even FT members, and we are total cheapskates, have reported "buying up" to BS (as we have dubbed their Business Select fare) when deep discounts are not available or when spending other people's money. Southwest's tighter rules on fare re-use (funds are locked to one passenger name) have also made refundable fares like BS relatively more attractive.
Yes, the business traveler might do this if one's company has inadequate controls and the employee isn't responsible enough to manage their use of the company's funds as well as they would their own funds. With regards to individuals buying up to higher fares where the added value doesn't usually correspond the the added cost (seems to me be by far mostly the case with WN), then it is just plain foolish to be buying up for future awards which are simply just a future flight % credit of that added cost. Now if delta goes to a more complex Skymiles II model that still has some value awards along with some added revenue-based benefits, perhaps that would bolster loyalty of more than the irresponsible business traveler and the customer with poor financial accounting skills.

And for what it's worth, at least this traveler has never once been able to justify "buying up" a WN fare under the new model - for business or personal travel.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Oh still no update from DL on the rumors?

That's fine, gives me more time to research which rival FF program to get a status match at.

Being in MCO, I enjoyed DL and ATL just being an hour away. Thinking I can at least make AA Plat, and the MIA hub is not bad (only 45 mins away). I've enjoyed the DL Customer Service, and they have been great in IRROPs, but you don't exactly give me much of a choice when you take your sweet time on addressing rumors.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
I did, back in March. I booked three seats ATL to ICN for my wife, son, and sister. 70K each. No problem as long as you know the blackout dates ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.