Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Winston Churchill

This whole thread reminds me of the famous description of Russia by Churchill.

"A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

Cheers
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by X3Skier
This whole thread reminds me of the famous description of Russia by Churchill.

"A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

Cheers
Actually, that also sounds like the Delta award calendar believe it or not!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And really it shouldn't. I know there are those here that think they are the "voice" of everyone. But in reality there are maybe a couple of hundred people on this board that really follow it, versus 7 million passengers that fly the airline each year.

It is arrogant for anyone to think that because they post here your opinion is more important or that DL will actual do something because "you" singularly are not happy.

flame suit zipped.
FT has influenced them many times over the years. You've scarcely been here long enough to notice.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And really it shouldn't. I know there are those here that think they are the "voice" of everyone. But in reality there are maybe a couple of hundred people on this board that really follow it, versus 7 million passengers that fly the airline each year.

It is arrogant for anyone to think that because they post here your opinion is more important or that DL will actual do something because "you" singularly are not happy.

flame suit zipped.
Actually, they should. FT is no different than any focus group that DL calls except here they don't have to compensate anyone for participation and they get a slightly (that's the sarcastic font, right) biased population, of which many tend to be in the top tier of their elite program. The one DL focus group I have participated in in the past decade, had 15 people and among the instructions given to us before we got started was "you (the group) have been selected because you represent DL flyers throughout the US." If 15 people is considered representative, I certainly think 200+ would be (though again, we are a skewed sample!).
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Actually, they should. FT is no different than any focus group that DL calls except here they don't have to compensate anyone for participation and they get a slightly (that's the sarcastic font, right) biased population, of which many tend to be in the top tier of their elite program. The one DL focus group I have participated in in the past decade, had 15 people and among the instructions given to us before we got started was "you (the group) have been selected because you represent DL flyers throughout the US." If 15 people is considered representative, I certainly think 200+ would be (though again, we are a skewed sample!).
Very valid point. I too don't think that I am special to DL in any way, shape, or form, but it is important to realize that this is essentially a free focus group that is made up of those who materially invest in DL. Think about it. How many leisure passengers with 3-4 flights a year would they need to bring in to equal the $15-25k worth of spending that many PM/DM FT'ers generate each year? While I do recognize that anyone can post anything on here, it costs DL exactly nothing to monitor the conversations on here.

If they choose to disregard them as insignificant, that's their choice, but they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by simply reading.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:32 am

Depends how they construct the focus group and what they used it for. Most of us here are anonymous to Delta but in a focus group they may be looking at people who fly specific routes, at particular times at particular airports on particular equipment or some other factor(s) which they generally won't announce.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Depends how they construct the focus group and what they used it for. Most of us here are anonymous to Delta but in a focus group they may be looking at people who fly specific routes, at particular times at particular airports on particular equipment or some other factor(s) which they generally won't announce.
If that were truly representative of the flying population,

They would have 13 flyers with no status 1 RT flight a year and 2 with status, which apparently they did as was indicated earlier in the thread.

exactly my thoughts, (which I highlighted earlier) but worded much better than mine.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Apr 19, 2012 at 9:15 am
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm sure DL or whoever they pay as consultants on this would use more than one focus group of fifteen.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm sure DL or whoever they pay as consultants on this would use more than one focus group of fifteen.
If they are running focus groups with 15, then I wouldn't hire them as a consultant.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bicostal
If they are running focus groups with 15, then I wouldn't hire them as a consultant.
I agree, but only extreme incompetence would suggest a sample size of fifteen, although having them all in one room together can be viewed as a sample size of one in a certain sense.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:24 am

Just wanted to add a comment that I got yet another e-mail talking about using 100,000 miles to get a $1000 discount for Australian travel. These kinds of e-mails make me nauseated as I don't want to leave delta.....but will if forced.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Just wanted to add a comment that I got yet another e-mail talking about using 100,000 miles to get a $1000 discount for Australian travel. These kinds of e-mails make me nauseated as I don't want to leave delta.....but will if forced.
That is PWM

PS: I am with you about the not wanting to leave DL.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
How does this email make you "want to leave delta?"
I agree it is a poor value for 100k miles, but if I felt like leaving Delta every time I saw "bad value" in one of their offers, I would have been gone a long time ago!

Last edited by bajrbajr; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree, but only extreme incompetence would suggest a sample size of fifteen, although having them all in one room together can be viewed as a sample size of one in a certain sense.
I'm sure we were only one section that they called in for focus groups on that topic. But, our group was only 15. Conveniently, seemed to be mostly folks with no status who all seemingly worked in downtown ATL near the office building where our group met. Convenience sample if I've ever seen one!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: All of the Above
Been reading this thread on and off, and just curious if I'm the only one that has put the DL Reserve/Plat on the shelf for the time being? I'm already reached the $30K spend MQM bonus, but not yet the $60K, so I've swapped to the SPG card until something, or nothing, comes out. I can wait until Nov or so to resume using the DL cards to get MQM bonuses by 12/31. I haven't changed my scheduled flights, but a huge chunk of Am Ex spending has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.