FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles Change Rumor?
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2012, 10:47 am
DHalltheway

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by HongKonger
For me it's just that DL serves my needs best. I mostly fly TPAC from HKG and usually have multi-city itineraries with several domestic stops. I have had enough bad experiences with airlines supposedly in the same "alliance" not actually providing customer service/assistance to one another's passengers that I prefer an airline with a route network both TPAC and within the US. That leaves me with UACO and DL. UACO is a mess due to the merger and I wasn't a big fan of United even before the current mess. So DL it is.

In theory CX and AA would work. But aside from my aforementioned dislike of multi-carrier itineraries, CX is usually a lot more expensive and AFAIK provides no easy way to upgrade cabins such as the SWU. (I'd be happy to be informed otherwise.)

I usually buy M fares and upgrade to J with SWUs or miles. I assume this makes me a profitable passenger for DL, but I have no data to back up this assumption. If under whatever new system is implemented, I do not reach a medallion tier where I can get SWUs, I will probably just start buying the cheapest fares I can find, and not even necessarily on DL. I am sure DL doesn't care about one customer's plans, but hopefully they are taking scenarios like this into account.
From HKG TPAC, realistically, your options are DL, UA, or CX, as you highlighted.

Like you said CX does not give SWUs, but from what I understand they do Op-ups quite regularly. But they don't work with your multiple-city itineraries. While I understand your concerns regarding UA (I am flying UA now), you don't really have much options available to you.

Unless you are willing to give up:
Award trips redemption.
Mileage Running. (though at closer to 5cpm, I hardly view myself as a true Mileage runner)

These two combined were the last straws for me to hedge myself.