Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Same thing happens when they move people around to get families sitting together without asking the affected passengers (who may also, for example, be a family sitting together but on different PNRs).
+1

As has happened to me at least 3 times in 3 years
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Self advocating isn't the same as DYKWIA in my book. And self advocating for pregnant pax is always right...

Guy behind should have MYOB of course, especially since it was only an hour flight ....
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Self advocating isn't the same as DYKWIA in my book. And self advocating for pregnant pax is always right...

Guy behind should have MYOB of course, especially since it was only an hour flight ....
It's weird. When I imagine this, I think OP was probably relatively polite in his ask and guy behind was more of the d-bag. However, there's a difference between self-advocating and knowingly asking for something you're not entitled to, at the expense of someone else, because you have a higher status than they do.

I don't mean to bash on injera, as I can certainly understand why he'd try whatever he could to secure a better seat for his wife. But, understanding the motivation to use DYKWIA tactics doesn't make them any less DYKWIA.

If there's anything about that story I'm troubled by, it's the GA overriding the very clear T&Cs of the companion cert rules.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat

I agree. I think the OP on this situation was WRONG to try to get an upgrade when he was not eligible (and take it from someone else). But that doesn't mean he acted in a DYKWIA manner. He politely asked and didn't make a scene. The guy behind him was the one who made a scene.

My conclusion is that the OP is not DYKWIA, but rather just a horrible person (just kidding). No harm in asking for what he got, and it was done quietly and politely. The GA was the one in the wrong here.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Not a judgement on the behavior here and who is right or wrong, but...

This here is a good example of why I get irritated by gate upgrades. One person's sob story shouldn't trump another's and it shouldn't be up to a GA's discretion to get certain people on the plane or in certain seats - just let the computer give priority and be done with it.

Same thing happens when they move people around to get families sitting together without asking the affected passengers (who may also, for example, be a family sitting together but on different PNRs).
Amen kitkat. The fact that I prefer to sit quietly without bothering the GA should not lessen my chances of an UG. This is the only reason I'm against gate or BFUGs - I have no issue with DL wanting to wait until the last minute to try to sell the F/J fares, but being at the mercy of (i) GAs upgrading friends/staff or (ii) pushy fellow travelers spinning their tales of woe makes me ill.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
If your son loses his upgrade because of something like this, I think it becomes your business.

Length of flight should not matter. Just a one-hour flight, suck it up? Tell that to the pregnant lady, or to your kid...
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE

Im going to be the counter here. Someone doesnt get pregnant unknowingly (ie there are certain actions involved not that accidents cant happen) and if they know they are going to be uncomfortable late in pregnancy on a flight then they should take the necessary steps to ensure their comfort on a flight.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Medeski
Im going to be the counter here. Someone doesnt get pregnant unknowingly (ie there are certain actions involved not that accidents cant happen) and if they know they are going to be uncomfortable late in pregnancy on a flight then they should take the necessary steps to ensure their comfort on a flight.
Wow...now THIS sounds like something a real DYKWIA might say.....

On the OP's situation I call it No-DYKWIA ... why? Revisit what DYKWIA stands for and it sure as hell doesn't sound like he was using the DYKWIA line.

He asked for something and he got it (for whatever reason), he didn't DEMAND it by pulling a DYKWIA card.

+1 for the self advocate.

PS: The other guy had a right be upset nonetheless
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If hubby would have had his pregnant wife sit in the FC seat, as he requested to the GA, I think the guy bit*hing would have remained calm(er).
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm still trying to decide if I feel bad for this guy or not. I was checking into an ATL SC Sunday night when a guy walks up to the attendant at the end of the desk and starts berating her. As I'm listening in, his story was that he had been sitting in the SC for the past 2 hours and had just realized that they hadn't changed their clocks to Daylight Savings Time yet. Consequently his plane was presently pulling away from the gate.

He then went into the rant of being a two million miler, Diamond, etc. and he expected better from Delta. Meanwhile I'm wondering why, if he had so much flying experience, he wasn't better aware of the time and the layover. I know I constantly check and double check every flight. Especially a connection.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Jump
I'm still trying to decide if I feel bad for this guy or not. I was checking into an ATL SC Sunday night when a guy walks up to the attendant at the end of the desk and starts berating her. As I'm listening in, his story was that he had been sitting in the SC for the past 2 hours and had just realized that they hadn't changed their clocks to Daylight Savings Time yet. Consequently his plane was presently pulling away from the gate.

He then went into the rant of being a two million miler, Diamond, etc. and he expected better from Delta. Meanwhile I'm wondering why, if he had so much flying experience, he wasn't better aware of the time and the layover. I know I constantly check and double check every flight. Especially a connection.
Now THAT is DYKWIA!!!

I'm a 2MM and you won't keep time for me?????
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by injera
I know this ticket is not eligible for an upgrade

There were 5 on the list for 4 seats. I asked about splitting us up to get me on the UG list along. GA was having trouble with adding me and mentioned to his colleague that he has 1 GM and 4 FOs on the list to which I chimed in that he should be able to clear me after her clears the GM but before the FOs.
(Emphasis added)

There is no justification for your behavior, you knowingly asked to be given something you weren't entitled to ahead of others who were entitled to it.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This wasn't self advocating. OP wasn't himself pregnant. Ultimately he used his wife's pregnancy as a way to get a FC seat for himself.

Regardless of whether OP or wife sat in FC, regardless of whether the flight time was ten minutes or ten hours, the other guy was understandably upset and right to complain. Maybe his behavior was impolite and even counterproductive, although it did at least cause the OP to re-examine his actions in light of the discussion here.

In fact, I hope the other guy complains to DL and gets the GA in trouble. GAs are not authorized to unilaterally re-order the upgrade list to reflect their own personal priorities, and a pregnant GA is not authorized to give special privileges to pregnant passengers at the expense of other elites who have earned upgrades as a published benefit of DL's FF program.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
If hubby would have had his pregnant wife sit in the FC seat, as he requested to the GA, I think the guy bit*hing would have remained calm(er).
(i still admit that I was in the wrong, but again am just adding to the discussion)

Fair, but she was in the restroom at the time and her words to me upon giving her the FC ticket were "dude, its fine, i'm just going to sleep, go enjoy a bloody mary." Guess I could have given the seat 'back' though by that time the boarding process was underway.

I also assumed, that since she (techincally I) was given an FC seat on the way down and that we got one on the way back that maybe, technically it was okay by Delta policies. I imagine Delta's system wont allow a GA to put John Q. Kettle as #1 on the UG list so then how/why would it let them put someone on a non-upgradable ticket on it?

Then finally, while I understand the other guy being upset, even for the hour flight; once i'm met with anger and hostility by a person, my interest in 'doing right by them' is minimized.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:51 am

I can certainly appreciate the WFBF mentality here and recognize that millions of pregnant women have flown comfortably enough in economy over the years. My wife is 5'2" and is having (knock on wood) a relatively easy pregnancy, but I'm sure most fathers on this list would gladly go out of their way to make their wives 3rd trimester a little easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.